Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Playoffs Round 2 Game 1 C*#^tics at Raptors Thursday August 27 6:30pm on (TBA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

This may seem a bit too obvious, but Boston isn't an "average" team, like the Pelicans, Spurs or Grizzlies that you play in the regular season. Also, opposition defensive intensity tends to increase in the playoffs.... which is why you need scorers with another gear, like Kawhi.
    Hence the inclusion of the effects of contested vs open threes.

The best defence can't make you miss your wide open shots.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Hence the inclusion of the effects of contested vs open threes.

The best defence can't make you miss your wide open shots.
      Isn't that what the Raptors defense has been doing all year? Conceding open corner 3's.... and getting away with it.

Or maybe, you can't trust Synergy data and the like and their definitions of "wide open", since it doesn't take into account what a player actually sees and feels at floor level (e.g. speed of closeout, length, etc...).

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Isn't that what the Raptors defense has been doing all year? Conceding open corner 3's.... and getting away with it.

Or maybe, you can't trust Synergy data and the like and their definitions of "wide open", since it doesn't take into account what a player actually sees and feels at floor level (e.g. speed of closeout, length, etc...).
        I don't know the complete data but I think the gist was allowing wide open 3's to generally mediocre 3 point shooters. If we were playing the Heat, we weren't leaving Robinson open for 3's. We had statistically good 3 pt shooters missing their open 3's

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

I don't know the complete data but I think the gist was allowing wide open 3's to generally mediocre 3 point shooters. If we were playing the Heat, we weren't leaving Robinson open for 3's. We had statistically good 3 pt shooters missing their open 3's
          I don't know if that's any new type of secret sauce. Sagging off poor shooters and sticking tight to good one's has been happening forever.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Raps held Boston to an ORTG of 100 with Gasol on the court. With Serge it was higher, in spite of mostly playing against Boston's bench. And that was with Serge's numbers being way better in the 9 minutes he played at PF beside Gasol. That means a 124 DRTG while Serge played C that game.

Serge absolutely brought the scoring and good on him for that, but let's not delude ourselves into thinking Serge is even comparable, let alone an upgrade, defensively, basically no matter who the opposition is.

The problem was not the defence, and we should be careful not to screw it up. The defence was at least fine and mostly good. The offence was a disaster. Need more from Siakam, and he'll be better moving forward if they go away from making him play against a set defence, give him the ball more in motion. But even without that, simply hitting their open shots would make a world of difference. Like, literally if they hit their shots this game at their season averages (even including effects from pull-up vs catch and shoot, and contested vs open shots), the game would have been tied.
            Gasol had the worst OFFRTG on the team yesterday.
            What was Boston’s ORTG with Gasol on the floor without Ibaka?

Comment

• I'm having deja vu of the last time this conversation happened after losing to Boston. You can only talk about missing shots we normally make so many times with regards to the same team. They have a damn good perimeter defense.

Comment

• Pascal's post ups generated good shots for the most part just judging by the eye test. He was making these shots earlier in the year. There was one where he bowled over Smart, and the fouls need to be under control. He gets frustrated and things kind of compound. He has to remember how Kawhi carried himself, and to focus on being level-headed and steadily confident. I think the guys weren't focused, likely due to all of the activism they've been doing, and the Celtics handled it better. Let's hope the energy is better, the focus is better, and the shots fall a little better. I trust Nurse to make the right adjustments, and that Kyle will lead the guys by example and bring the energy and focus they need. Gonna need a strong first quarter tomorrow.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

You got it. The problem is not defence, is offence. We need more people to put the ball in the basket. Space the floor. Gasol is shrinking it, as defences ignore him and go double team our other guys with impunity, leaving us playing 4 on 5. It's crystal clear, unless you got a blind bias where certain players can't do no wrong and others can't do no right.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post

I don’t think either team would do that tbh
                    So how about Siakam to Denver for Murray?

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post

Neither team would do that. I might consider Pascal for Simmons. It would limit our team building potential thought. We also have to not be so reactionary. After tomorrow's game when he drops 35 and 6 threes, people will say they wouldn't trade him for doncic.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

Neither team would do that. I might consider Pascal for Simmons. It would limit our team building potential thought. We also have to not be so reactionary. After tomorrow's game when he drops 35 and 6 threes, people will say they wouldn't trade him for doncic.
                        There were talks of Siakam for Beal before.
                        That would work for both teams.
                        Imagine a Wall - Siakam duo.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

There were talks of Siakam for Beal before.
                          That would work for both teams.
                          Imagine a Wall - Siakam duo.
                          I wouldn't do that. You need both of them for long term success.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

I wouldn't do that. You need both of them for long term success.
                            The only way we're getting Beal is by giving them Pascal though.

Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post

Jamal + Grant for Lowry + OG

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-bizarre-times

Jamal's asking price would have gone way up by now.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

The Raps gave up 39 in the 1Q and that was effectively ball game. If you're looking at stats, etc., you really only need to look at what happened in the first quarter. In fact, it's useful forgetting the numbers and just looking at the play-by-play to see how ineffective the Raps were at both ends in that quarter.

After that, Boston was on cruise control and Toronto made only token efforts at a comeback, so game stats aren't going to tell you much of anything worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X