Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Playoffs Round 2 Game 2 Celtics at Raptors Tuesday Sept 1 5:30pm EST on Sportsnet

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DanH: sometimes a shake up is just that..a shake up. Sometimes it may not be the logical decision or something youd wanna ride over 82 games..but I think its clear we need a jolt or a spark. Like a hockey team who changes goalies to their backup after going down 0-2. What are your thoughts on the possibility of change for the sake of it providing a short term lift?

    I remember a coach stuck in his ways and would just stick to what worked all reg season...Hes now fired and running on the pistons treadmill
    It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

    Comment


    • golden wrote: View Post

      Sounds logical on paper, but I suppose you have to swap Lowry for Westbrook and, in addition to FVV/Pascal/OG for PG, then one of Ibaka/Gasol has to go out as well.

      Imagine that.... our entire starting lineup of 2019-20 (Lowry/FVV/OG/Pascal/Gasol) would have been shipped out... 20 days after winning a championship. Not even getting a chance to defend their title. And that would be only a year after shipping out our franchise player (DeRozan). lol. I don't know if Masai would be cold-blooded or crazy enough to do that just to keep Kawhi.
      I'd take a Kawhi/CP3/PG anytime.
      That trio would have attracted many free agents too.
      But I'm probably more cold blooded than Masai. Lol
      And this is all in hindsight anyway, but we all knew that the idea of actually defending our title was far fetched the moment Kawhi left.
      As things stand now, we're back to typical obscurity come next season.
      Last edited by Kagemusha; Wed Sep 2, 2020, 02:41 PM.

      Comment


      • KeonClark wrote: View Post
        DanH: sometimes a shake up is just that..a shake up. Sometimes it may not be the logical decision or something youd wanna ride over 82 games..but I think its clear we need a jolt or a spark. Like a hockey team who changes goalies to their backup after going down 0-2. What are your thoughts on the possibility of change for the sake of it providing a short term lift?

        I remember a coach stuck in his ways and would just stick to what worked all reg season...Hes now fired and running on the pistons treadmill
        To be fair, that coach would actually stick with what didn't work all that well all season, and would abandon the lineups that did work too quickly, which was the biggest source of the problems (besides the tactics and star player, which were bigger issues than rotations as much as I cried about those).

        Most teams who have to change to their backup goalie during a playoff series are screwed. Leaving aside the general incomparability of hockey and basketball...

        I don't for a second believe that the Raptors' issues have to do with needing a jolt or a spark. Hey, maybe they do. If Nurse decides to try it and it works I'll be as happy as anyone else. Of course, my concern would be that if you are looking for short term gains, and then you are likely stuck sticking with that change, the spark wears off and now you are just hurting yourself over the rest of the series. I guess thinking it through, if my goal was to make the series longer and I thought losing in 6 was better than losing in 4, I might agree with that approach. But my goal is to win the series, and I think the best chance at that is sticking with our best players.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • DanH wrote: View Post

          To be fair, that coach would actually stick with what didn't work all that well all season, and would abandon the lineups that did work too quickly, which was the biggest source of the problems (besides the tactics and star player, which were bigger issues than rotations as much as I cried about those).

          Most teams who have to change to their backup goalie during a playoff series are screwed. Leaving aside the general incomparability of hockey and basketball...

          I don't for a second believe that the Raptors' issues have to do with needing a jolt or a spark. Hey, maybe they do. If Nurse decides to try it and it works I'll be as happy as anyone else. Of course, my concern would be that if you are looking for short term gains, and then you are likely stuck sticking with that change, the spark wears off and now you are just hurting yourself over the rest of the series. I guess thinking it through, if my goal was to make the series longer and I thought losing in 6 was better than losing in 4, I might agree with that approach. But my goal is to win the series, and I think the best chance at that is sticking with our best players.
          Nurse started FVV in the second half of games vs. Golden State because Danny Green was stinking it up so badly, you could no longer ignore it. Conventional wisdom would have dictated that you stick with Green, who by almost all measures (PIPM, RPM, etc...) was one of our best impact role players all season long + best 3pt shooter, switchable wing defender with championship pedigree. But Green was in a Gasol-like slump for most of the playoffs, so Nurse injected Fred as a spark into the starting lineup after half-time and it worked, so I trust Nurse to figure things out. Like you, I'm sure that Nurse will err on the side of trusting the guys that brought him to the dance.

          Comment


          • There were a lot of concerns yesterday.. but one that's not mentioned in Boucher's impact on the game. I think we all wanted to see him especially since Stevens threw in Williams to displace Theis in game 1. Boucher wasn't really good. He bricked a 3 (his only shot). He didn't grab a single offensive rebound but got two defensive rebounds. No deflections or blocks.

            Do we throw him into game 3 or did we get his curtain call?

            Comment


            • planetmars wrote: View Post
              There were a lot of concerns yesterday.. but one that's not mentioned in Boucher's impact on the game. I think we all wanted to see him especially since Stevens threw in Williams to displace Theis in game 1. Boucher wasn't really good. He bricked a 3 (his only shot). He didn't grab a single offensive rebound but got two defensive rebounds. No deflections or blocks.

              Do we throw him into game 3 or did we get his curtain call?
              Let's put Matt Thomas out there for a bit. Have them chase him around the perimeter and get some attention deflected off Siakam/Lowry/Fred. We can't be shooting poorer with him on the floor than we already are.
              2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

              Comment


              • planetmars wrote: View Post
                There were a lot of concerns yesterday.. but one that's not mentioned in Boucher's impact on the game. I think we all wanted to see him especially since Stevens threw in Williams to displace Theis in game 1. Boucher wasn't really good. He bricked a 3 (his only shot). He didn't grab a single offensive rebound but got two defensive rebounds. No deflections or blocks.

                Do we throw him into game 3 or did we get his curtain call?
                This really is a must win game and I think Nurse rides the top 7 as much as possible. TD gets some minutes because Lowry/Fred need a breather then you're at 8 and really don't need any more guys (Powell only played 13 min and TD 6 last game - lots more minutes right there to tap into).

                Their margin for "let's try a different look and see what happens" is gone now and the best guys need to execute.

                If we're going for 5-10 minutes of Matt Thomas to see if we can get 3's because the starting guards aren't hitting them, then we're already fucked.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                Comment


                • S.R. wrote: View Post

                  This really is a must win game and I think Nurse rides the top 7 as much as possible. TD gets some minutes because Lowry/Fred need a breather then you're at 8 and really don't need any more guys (Powell only played 13 min and TD 6 last game - lots more minutes right there to tap into).

                  Their margin for "let's try a different look and see what happens" is gone now and the best guys need to execute.

                  If we're going for 5-10 minutes of Matt Thomas to see if we can get 3's because the starting guards aren't hitting them, then we're already fucked.
                  TD buying FVV/Lowry a breather and that being your top 8 should always have been the plan. Davis not playing in the 4th after an effective first half run (even with the fouls) was weird, especially throwing Boucher out there without Lowry.

                  I agree that we don't want to go deeper than 8 right now. Not in this series. If we manage to get through to the ECF, there will be some room early in the series for some Matt Thomas to break the zone against the Bucks/Heat, but the Celtics have too many weapons for Thomas not to get targeted.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

                  Comment


                  • Hey dudes!

                    We’re a good 3 point team itll turn around. Theyre just daring us. These guys are pro as pro gets its all good

                    Go raptors!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X