GAME 3: Toronto Raptors vs Boston Celtics 09/03/20 6:30 PM ET TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saints91 wrote: View Post
    We are back in it!!! What a great game, this win will swing the series. That pass was amazing, OG is a stone cold killer!!! I was running around the house yelling that when he hit it. lol He almost gets blocked on that shot, the whole play was amazing.
    The "almost got blocked" part is one of the many amazing things about this sequence. On Synergy this would probably be logged as an "extra wide" open shot (DanH). But look at how quickly Jaylen Brown closed out and got up there. This is why athletic wings and guards are valuable in crunch time. The effort on defense is at another level.

You can understand now why Kyle gets blocked in these situations... he's short and shoots it flat. And why he and FVV are having a hard time getting their 3-ball to fall in this series - Celtics are just damn good at contesting jump shots. Still calling a 7-gamer, but it's going to be tough sledding all the way.

Comment

• The only way that ending could have been any better is if it was in front of a live audience with Raptors fans losing their minds as OG walks away...I guess it would have been in Boston under normal circumstances, but I would have taken the broken hearts of Celtics fans with almost equal pleasure.

That shot deserved a live audience. F@ck Corona, and yes f@ck Boston!!!

Comment

• Comment

• Brad Stevens confirmed that the Celtics were/are trying to get Kemba onto Gasol in the high pick & roll. So, to nobody's surprise, they are targeting Gasol's lack of footspeed. We gave up 3 dunks in crunch time out of that action. That's unacceptable. Serge isn't much better, tbh. Nurse needs to figure some things out there. RHJ at center??

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
            Kyle was amazing last night. His drives were incredible, he just carved out space and was able to get them up. That might be one of the best Lowry games I’ve seen.
            Agreed. Didn't matter if it was Theis or Williams, Lowry was going get into you and finish through contact.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The "almost got blocked" part is one of the many amazing things about this sequence. On Synergy this would probably be logged as an "extra wide" open shot (DanH). But look at how quickly Jaylen Brown closed out and got up there. This is why athletic wings and guards are valuable in crunch time. The effort on defense is at another level.

You can understand now why Kyle gets blocked in these situations... he's short and shoots it flat. And why he and FVV are having a hard time getting their 3-ball to fall in this series - Celtics are just damn good at contesting jump shots. Still calling a 7-gamer, but it's going to be tough sledding all the way.

It was logged as “open” with 4 feet of space between shooter and defender.

I agree that this contest in particular was insanely good - one of the best I’ve seen, as you point out in crunch time players make extra effort compared to throughout the game. I find it surprising you think this contest is indicative of most contests the Raptors have faced throughout the series, never mind that it’s logged as 2 feet more closely contested than the “wide open” shots I’ve been bemoaning.

Personally I am glad the Raptors magically stopped hearing footsteps at the end of this game and the Celtics decided not to challenge like they have been all series on wide open threes for the final 18 minutes of this game where the Raps shot 8 of 14 from three. Lucky they decided to stop playing awesome defence on open shots I guess, with the exception of that last shot that OG made anyway. Here’s hoping they don’t decide to do it again, forcing the Raptors to start missing those threes again.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                Brad Stevens confirmed that the Celtics were/are trying to get Kemba onto Gasol in the high pick & roll. So, to nobody's surprise, they are targeting Gasol's lack of footspeed. We gave up 3 dunks in crunch time out of that action. That's unacceptable. Serge isn't much better, tbh. Nurse needs to figure some things out there. RHJ at center??
                The issue was the help at the back end. Guys were exhausted and the rotations were poor out of that action.

The crunch time time answer is likely to just play small if you do need to remove Gasol (though there are other ways to avoid that). Siakam at 5. But you either need faith in TD (which we don’t even have enough of to get him the 8th man minutes he should have written in stone for him) or Powell needs to be playing well, and his defence is too hard to hide, much harder than Gasol’s foot speed.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  The only way that ending could have been any better is if it was in front of a live audience with Raptors fans losing their minds as OG walks away...I guess it would have been in Boston under normal circumstances, but I would have taken the broken hearts of Celtics fans with almost equal pleasure.

That shot deserved a live audience. F@ck Corona, and yes f@ck Boston!!!
                  You can see the remote fan video feed behind OG in some of the replays and the looks on the faces before it fades to black are hilarious.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm just remembering how tough Game 3 against Bucks was. Double OT. Felt like it was so hard just to get a win. But it started an avalanche.

Hope Raptors get their momentum going. I'll be losing my mind this series I'm sure
                    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      I'm just remembering how tough Game 3 against Bucks was. Double OT. Felt like it was so hard just to get a win. But it started an avalanche.

Hope Raptors get their momentum going. I'll be losing my mind this series I'm sure
                      Yeah, eerily similar vibes between the two series.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Another observation/thought. This is all on memory and I have not stats to back it up:

It seemed like in the 2nd half Lowry (and FVV a bit too) got to the rim with a lot of success. Thinking back on the other games the raptors shot a lot of 3's and Siakam certainly tried to post up but the guards didn't attack the rim much. Seems like the Celtics strategy is to pressure the 3 point shooter but not give up much drive and kick action. They may send a double at Siakam in the paint to give him fits but Lowry and FVV seem to not attract as much attention or help defense attacking the basket.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

It was logged as “open” with 4 feet of space between shooter and defender.

I agree that this contest in particular was insanely good - one of the best I’ve seen, as you point out in crunch time players make extra effort compared to throughout the game. I find it surprising you think this contest is indicative of most contests the Raptors have faced throughout the series, never mind that it’s logged as 2 feet more closely contested than the “wide open” shots I’ve been bemoaning.

Personally I am glad the Raptors magically stopped hearing footsteps at the end of this game and the Celtics decided not to challenge like they have been all series on wide open threes for the final 18 minutes of this game where the Raps shot 8 of 14 from three. Lucky they decided to stop playing awesome defence on open shots I guess, with the exception of that last shot that OG made anyway. Here’s hoping they don’t decide to do it again, forcing the Raptors to start missing those threes again.
                          Using your own explanation in your very next post as an excuse for Gasol getting targeted by Stevens... I guess we can say unequivocally that the Celtics got "exhausted" , which is why they weren't contesting 3's as hard in the second half. Do you even read your own posts? smh. You switch back and forth between being data-driven and rational and then just making up stuff and conjecture, when things don't fit your narrative. Pick a lane and stick to it.

But still, after getting red-hot in the second half... FVV and Lowry ending up shooting only shot 33% from 3 for the game and a number of those makes were due to improved 2-man screening action with a big, which is a good adjustment to counter the Celtics length and closeout speed. Context. If you think the Celtics aren't playing awesome defense, you need to give your head a shake.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                            Another observation/thought. This is all on memory and I have not stats to back it up:

It seemed like in the 2nd half Lowry (and FVV a bit too) got to the rim with a lot of success. Thinking back on the other games the raptors shot a lot of 3's and Siakam certainly tried to post up but the guards didn't attack the rim much. Seems like the Celtics strategy is to pressure the 3 point shooter but not give up much drive and kick action. They may send a double at Siakam in the paint to give him fits but Lowry and FVV seem to not attract as much attention or help defense attacking the basket.
                            We countered that last night with Gasol PnR action as a big body screening whoever was the smaller defender on Lowry or FVV to free up space behind the 3-pt line. Or, to get Gasol rumbling to the rim in the lane. It was ugly, but it worked.

Comment

• Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
                              Hey RR Family. l Haven't really followed things this series. Dad was sick and passed away last night. I'm convinced OGs shot was dedicated him.
                              Condolences Tmac.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Tmac2darak wrote: View Post
                                Hey RR Family. l Haven't really followed things this series. Dad was sick and passed away last night. I'm convinced OGs shot was dedicated him.
                                Couldn't agree more. My best to you

Comment

Working...
                                X