No announcement yet.

GAME 5: Toronto Raptors vs Boston Celtics 09/07/20 6:30 PM ET TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well this is not good - https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29837454/toronto-raptors-serge-ibaka-walking-boot-unsure-game-6

Comment

• Not ideal...He was good finisher on plays. Either shot or roll. More time for Boucher. Come on Waterboy show us what you got
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Yep. We're screwed. That's the one Centre we've got that know where the basket is.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yep. We're screwed. That's the one Centre we've got that know where the basket is.
          I really want to see more small ball though, Siakam/OG at the 5. Then put Siakam in the p'n'r.

Ibaka was putting up points/rebounds but man that guy misses rotations a lot. A lot of Boston's easy buckets at the rim come with Ibaka on the floor.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Win it for Serge rally cry

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              I'll be ready to make a thread later today if everybody is good with that
              OG is our king

Comment

• So more small ball and more Boucher or potentially RHJ at C?

Comment

• Bouuuuuch!!!

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                    So more small ball and more Boucher or potentially RHJ at C?
                    I'd like to see some RHJ for his activity and hustle (this team has needed energy at times), but his lack of shooting will really shrink the floor vs Boston. They don't let you get away with that. I'd rather see a bit of Boucher + more small ball.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

I'd like to see some RHJ for his activity and hustle (this team has needed energy at times), but his lack of shooting will really shrink the floor vs Boston. They don't let you get away with that. I'd rather see a bit of Boucher + more small ball.
                      But does RHJ really shrink the floor any more than Gasol? At least he can rebound all the bricks and get some put-backs.... the highest efficiency offense there is. And he can contain Kemba in high PnR, much better than Gasol and switch all 5 positions.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Agreed. He'll be good defensively on Theis and when switching onto Kemba, Tatum or Brown, but the issue with RHJ becomes on offense. Boucher will likely take Serge's minutes and hopefully he plays well.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

The key adjustment that Brad Stevens did last night was he put his best defender Marcus Smart on the Raptors best player Kyle Lowry.

I saw this on twitter today: Raptors offensive rating was 85.2 in the 29 minutes Smart + Lowry shared floor.
                          It's funny, when we had Thomas in, they put Smart on him. Thomas was relentlessly moving off ball, denying Smart the chance to do much else on defence other than chase him around. Provided gravity that our offence

So in his 18 minutes of action (albeit some of it being when the game was already decided), Thomas basically took out the Celtics best defender out of the equation for a good chunk of time, went 2 of 4 from deep for his usual 50% 3Pt%, dropped 2 dimes to Fred right on his shooting pocket, which also ended in triples for Fred (the only 2 triples Fred had that game were assisted by Thomas), played good defence, disrupted plays, grabbed 4 boards as a guard (same as Siakam in 28 minutes), and finished with 10pts and a team high +5.

He's been the de facto 8th man on this series, ahead of RHJ, Boucher and TD, and have played calm and composed. He not only earned the opportunity for more real minutes, but also, In times like these where our offence desperately needs gravity and space to operate, the team needs players like him. If Lowry is the engine, he's the Redick/Korver type of player that act as the oil for said engines to turn a labouring offence into something useful.

He won't get it though. He's new and unknown, and we're scared of change and enamoured with old songs and last year's analytics (a different team, playing different opponents). So we're gonna continue to start the slow, floor shrinking, non-shooting Gasol rain or shine, have Smart free to hound Lowry's ass, and Theis totally free to go double/help Siakam & FVV with impunity because they know Gasol will only look at the basket once or twice a game.

We'll dig ourselves our usual 1st quarter whole, THEN put floor spacers like Norm/Thomas/TD, out of rhythm, with a gun to their heads and a very short leash to make something happen. This is our first elimination game since Philly's game 7 last year. If there's ever a time to be bold is now. However, I have a feeling we'll just pound the rock and hope for a different result while doing the same thing the Celtics have long figured out how to defend.

Maybe the fact that Ibaka is out might just create enough chaos on the rotation that Nurse will run into something that can pass a decent half court offence. We can only hope.
                          Last edited by inthepaint; Tue Sep 8, 2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Agreed. He'll be good defensively on Theis and when switching onto Kemba, Tatum or Brown, but the issue with RHJ becomes on offense. Boucher will likely take Serge's minutes and hopefully he plays well.
                            I could live more with Gasol's pitiful offensive contributions if he rebounded more but he's allergic to that too......

Comment

So more small ball and more Boucher or potentially RHJ at C?
                              Not that they should need any more motivation, but both guys are playing for contracts next year. GMs will be watching closely.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Heck, yes. If ever there was a time we needed to find our rhythm. Either Mixx or Scraptor would be my vote.
                                MixxAOR I will do it unless Mixx beats me to it.

Mixx let me know if you've got something brewing otherwise I'll put it together around 8:30pm et

Comment

Working...
                                X