Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME 6, ECSF: Toronto Raptors @ Boston Celtics - Wednesday, September 9th, 6:30pm ET - SN/ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post
    The flopping is out of control with the Celtics though. I admit Kyle does it and Fred a bit, but I would honestly say that's it. Maybe Marc... but he never gets the calls
    It's mostly Smart I think.

But there is something weird going on in the bubble, I'm seeing dudes slipping and falling all over the place. Someone suggested it's the humidity but whatever it is I hope no one gets hurt.

Leave a comment:

• Scraptor
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Did you not watch 80s basketball?
    Did you? There was flopping even back then.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/f...f-nonviolence/

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    There are hockey players who dive at the first hint of a hook on the elbow, stick to the skates, high elbow, etc. Always have been. Part of it is sports culture being out of sync with reality. Hockey players are sure they're tough.

I played both growing up, defence in hockey and in the post in basketball. Basketball was 100% just as physical defending the post as defending the front of the net/slot in hockey. The NBA slow-mo replays of guys driving to the basket, where they have to cradle the ball like a running back because they actually take contact from 3 different players on their way to the rim, that shit's insane. So is a 7'2" 280lbs guy leaning on you in the post or giving you his elbows. In fact there's nothing like that in hockey where the players are far smaller than high level basketball players. IMHO there's just as much or more contact in basketball than in hockey, the only difference is body checking being allowed/not allowed.
    But my drunk Canadian uncle tells me NBA players are pussies who can't handle being touched

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    There are hockey players who dive at the first hint of a hook on the elbow, stick to the skates, high elbow, etc. Always have been. Part of it is sports culture being out of sync with reality. Hockey players are sure they're tough.

I played both growing up, defence in hockey and in the post in basketball. Basketball was 100% just as physical defending the post as defending the front of the net/slot in hockey. The NBA slow-mo replays of guys driving to the basket, where they have to cradle the ball like a running back because they actually take contact from 3 different players on their way to the rim, that shit's insane. So is a 7'2" 280lbs guy leaning on you in the post or giving you his elbows. In fact there's nothing like that in hockey where the players are far smaller than high level basketball players. IMHO there's just as much or more contact in basketball than in hockey, the only difference is body checking being allowed/not allowed.

Also, tough players are tough players - in any sport. A guy like Lowry is as tough as they come. Play for weeks with torn ligaments, sprained ankles, lump on his elbow, etc. Hockey equipment gives you a bit more support, a lot easier to tape up an ankle or wrist, put it in a skate or glove, and play anyway. Your wrist or ankle is off in basketball and it's tough to be effective at all. Can't keep up on defence and can't shoot on offence, what are you even doing then.
    Last edited by S.R.; Thu Sep 10, 2020, 12:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kagemusha
    replied
    Scraptor wrote: View Post

Eh if NBA players wore full body protection there might be less flopping. Contact is a little different when you're unprotected.
    Did you not watch 80s basketball?

Leave a comment:

• G__Deane
    replied
    The problem with too much flopping is sometimes you get an on-purpose elbow to the chin for stitches and they don't call it

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    The flopping is out of control with the Celtics though. I admit Kyle does it and Fred a bit, but I would honestly say that's it. Maybe Marc... but he never gets the calls

Leave a comment:

• Scraptor
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Yep. Pascal needs to work on his flopping game with Rico Hines in off-season. smdh. It's pretty sad, actually.

A few of my hockey buddies mock the NBA all the time because of the softness & silliness. They think the sport is a joke. I imagine you get the same thing with hardcore NFL fans in the US.
    Eh if NBA players wore full body protection there might be less flopping. Contact is a little different when you're unprotected.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

Yep. Pascal needs to work on his flopping game with Rico Hines in off-season. smdh. It's pretty sad, actually.

A few of my hockey buddies mock the NBA all the time because of the softness & silliness. They think the sport is a joke. I imagine you get the same thing with hardcore NFL fans in the US.
    I'm surprised Lowry hasn't taught him a thing or two about flopping. The best way to pretend you got hit is to move your neck back really sharply like you got whiplash. Kemba is a master at it.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    A free throw is so critical in a game. Gets guys in foul trouble. Puts teams in bonus situations early. Might get the possession back. Free throw percentages are typically better than field goal percentages (unless your Shaq).

So when a great player flops it's because he knows how important it is to win those little in game battles. It sucks for the fans but I don't think you can ever get rid of it. Even if you start fining players like they used to (and still do I think).. it won't matter. The $25K they have to pay is worth it for a playoff win for most of these guys I bet.

Siakam needs to flop a bit more so he can get to the line more. Tatum does a good job of it and he's still really young.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    A free throw is so critical in a game. Gets guys in foul trouble. Puts teams in bonus situations early. Might get the possession back. Free throw percentages are typically better than field goal percentages (unless your Shaq).

So when a great player flops it's because he knows how important it is to win those little in game battles. It sucks for the fans but I don't think you can ever get rid of it. Even if you start fining players like they used to (and still do I think).. it won't matter. The $25K they have to pay is worth it for a playoff win for most of these guys I bet.

Siakam needs to flop a bit more so he can get to the line more. Tatum does a good job of it and he's still really young.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied

People saying "I've never seen a coach/player complain/flop so much in my life!" have been watching basketball for 2 weeks or something.

Nurse and Lowry are both expressive and vocal. Lowry tries to draw fouls. None of these things are new or unique.

Those Spurs, one of the greatest teams of all time, had Ginobli flopping around, Tim Duncan's eyes popping right out of his head every foul call, and Pops tearing strips off the refs.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    007 wrote: View Post

lmaoooo

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
    Per Lewenberg:

Kyle’s only rest came midway through the first half... of his 53 minutes played, he played 43 minutes consecutively to close the game.
    Sorry you beat me to it

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Kyle played 53 minutes. 43 straight since his only break was in the first quarter (left 1:35 in the first, and came back 9:03 in the second). And he's 34 years old coming off a bad ankle injury.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X