Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • LJ2 wrote: View Post

    While I agree the right thing to do would be to wait for the verdict...and in my mind their own investigation has probably given them a pretty accurate idea of that verdict...I have to disagree about the "just for optics and PR" comment. For all we know this could impact perception of the franchise and Giannis' decision on where to go in free agency. He's married or has girlfriend he has a kid with. She may not like the idea of him going to a team that has players that beat their GF's (allegedly or not). An organization like the Rap's doesn't always have the luxury of doing right thing. Damage control and PR are huge priorities.
    There is a little bit of precedence with Adrian Griffin's ordeal last season. They stood by him while the allegations were made. Maybe they did some due diligence, but they could have cut him and played the damage control card.

    And with TD they had plenty of time to cut him already and have not yet. This seems like they are taking the long approach which they should.

    Comment


    • planetmars wrote: View Post

      There is a little bit of precedence with Adrian Griffin's ordeal last season. They stood by him while the allegations were made. Maybe they did some due diligence, but they could have cut him and played the damage control card.

      And with TD they had plenty of time to cut him already and have not yet. This seems like they are taking the long approach which they should.
      I sure would be happy if they found out he was not guilty of the charges, but agree with most opinions that the chances are in the lower realm of possibilities.

      Comment


      • Puffer wrote: View Post

        I sure would be happy if they found out he was not guilty of the charges, but agree with most opinions that the chances are in the lower realm of possibilities.
        Yeah, typical hope for the best, plan for the worst, scenario. The Raptors have the financial ability to carry that cap hit even if they do eventually want to cut him.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • planetmars wrote: View Post

          There is a little bit of precedence with Adrian Griffin's ordeal last season. They stood by him while the allegations were made. Maybe they did some due diligence, but they could have cut him and played the damage control card.

          And with TD they had plenty of time to cut him already and have not yet. This seems like they are taking the long approach which they should.
          That's what makes most sense to me. There's a built-in system involving the NBA, the NBPA, and the actual courts. Let them get to the bottom of it and determine the appropriate action. From that, the organization will follow. Yes it can be slow, but part of the reason it's slow it's because it's thorough. While it's not perfect, it sure beats a rushed, trial by tweeter non-sense. He may very well be guilty, but there's also a chance this has shades of an Adrian Griffin situation.

          Either way his value as an asset to the team has been reduced significantly, unfortunately. Question now is if there's any value left that can be extracted - that's what we gotta wait for
          2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

          Comment


          • LJ2 wrote: View Post

            While I agree the right thing to do would be to wait for the verdict...and in my mind their own investigation has probably given them a pretty accurate idea of that verdict...I have to disagree about the "just for optics and PR" comment. For all we know this could impact perception of the franchise and Giannis' decision on where to go in free agency. He's married or has girlfriend he has a kid with. She may not like the idea of him going to a team that has players that beat their GF's (allegedly or not). An organization like the Rap's doesn't always have the luxury of doing right thing. Damage control and PR are huge priorities.
            Well, with all due respect you just described the PR/optics motivation perfectly.

            Not saying that's invalid motivation, that can be the rationale for a decision and it may well be justified. PR/optics can have real consequences.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

            Comment


            • Interesting in that one Baynes virtual press conference he says the Raptors had early conversations with him that 'got serious' as soon as Ibaka and Gasol had signed. Confirms that the org had him lined up as the go-to after following the proper process in making offers to their incumbent guys. They weren't trying to salvage the offseason when they signed Baynes and Boucher, they were proceeding through the steps in the plan.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

              Comment


              • S.R. wrote: View Post

                Bold is important. I know the current push is to cut him loose just based on the accusation (and the accusation sounds pretty probable, in my opinion), but one of the realities is there's built in disciplinary recourse within the NBA's personnel system already. Whether the Raptors as an organization want to keep a guy on board while proceeding through that or cut him loose after the guilty verdict is up to them, different organizations have been doing this differently as these cases come up. One of the interesting things though is often the current employer cuts the player loose then another franchise picks him up and there's not nearly as much blowback/public opposition for that second employer (though still some). That pisses me off a bit tbh, that means these decisions are more about optics and PR than anything else. I respect that the Raptors are not going to make knee-jerk decisions just for optics and PR. Personally I think the right thing for them to do is to wait for the verdict and go from there, even if it disadvantages them re: salary cap and contractual obligations. You owe it to your employee to be a fair employer and you also owe it to the potential victim to be a fair employer, just from a whole-society perspective. That means you have to be willing to take appropriate action in either direction, but it should be well informed.
                Are the charges "probable", though?

                IIRC, from the reports of the actual charges filed... they all start with: "The Plaintiff said...." that so & so occurred, or something like that. There are no accounts of any eyewitnesses.

                One possible scenario is a situation where TD may be actually guilty, but the charges are dropped because there are no un-biased witnesses, i.e., he-said, she-said. We may never know the truth. That's a real moral dilemma for the organization.

                Comment


                • DanH wrote: View Post
                  Huh. Waiving Dewan is odd, he was dirt cheap, but if they think he doesn't have the upside to contribute in the near term I'm not gonna get upset about it.

                  Means nothing for TD. He may still be waived (have until Sunday). He may be kept past Sunday then traded. He may be kept past Sunday then waived (just stuck with paying his salary). He may just be kept.

                  I suspect the roster spot for now is shoehorned for Brissett to provide some cheap F depth. Imagine they would sign him to a two year deal so he hits RFA with full Bird Rights.
                  Yeah right...

                  https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...284456448?s=21

                  Comment


                  • Could be a camp invite. Henry Ellenson also got a deal with the Raptors.

                    Comment


                    • So what does these signings mean for Harris?
                      Mamba Mentality

                      Comment


                      • planetmars wrote: View Post

                        Could be a camp invite. Henry Ellenson also got a deal with the Raptors.
                        Blake says camp deal..

                        Comment


                        • The Great One wrote: View Post
                          So what does these signings mean for Harris?
                          He will have to battle them in camp to prove himself.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

                          Comment


                          • The Great One wrote: View Post
                            So what does these signings mean for Harris?
                            As I suspected...

                            Blake answering that exact question..


                            Comment


                            • The Great One wrote: View Post
                              So what does these signings mean for Harris?
                              I think he's getting a 2-way deal. Either way he'll be at camp so they can see him in action close up for a couple of weeks.

                              Comment


                              • Brissette also got a camp deal. I think we got our 20 guys, unless COVID will allow teams to carry more.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X