No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone mentioned it already, the biggest free agent next offseason is Masai Ujiri. If he re-signs then the Raps are gonna be just fine. But if he leaves, then we're fucked. It's that simple.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I hate to say this but Dallas was
      saving cap space for next year too and man just imagine they offer Lowry a big ass contract. Lowry next to Luka would be crazy.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
        I hate to say this but Dallas was
        saving cap space for next year too and man just imagine they offer Lowry a big ass contract. Lowry next to Luka would be crazy.
        We can match any offer on Lowry since we have his bird rights. It's really up to him and whether or not he wants to finish his career here or not. I'm hoping he will. But if he doesn't.. he is turning 35. We'd have to turn the page eventually.

LAC and Miami are other potential destinations. Spurs could be a probable destination too... assuming he wants to team up with DeMar/Gay again.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

And Lowry will end up in Miami.... with Masai.
          Why not NYC .. in a sign and trade during free agency.... one last fleecing of Dolan for the Raptors.

Masai and Reilly in the same room would be a scene from Highlander... There can only be one.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
            At what point is it strange that Kawhi hasn’t signed an extension?
            It's not even really about the 10 year vet as others have pointed out (though that is also true) - Kawhi only signed a 2 year deal (the player option doesn't count in this sense), so he's not eligible for an extension at all. Has to hit FA, just like Lowry does.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• here is the thing... if lowry goes which would suck... but if he walks on us then we can sign oladipo to a non max contract... and still have space and be ready for 2022 ... which has harden, beal, potentially holiday, aaron gordon, JV lol.... MArcus smart, Joe ingles if you really are desperate, nurkicor we could even try to max SGA or Michael porter junior, kemba but i think he stays in Boston, griffin , but i'd opt to not sign griffin, lavine, rodney hood, and josh Richardson... so

... waiting a year we may have options

Comment

• Eh to me free agency was always Giannis or bust, unless Kawhi leaves which is ultra unlikely, nobody else was worth investing the future of the franchise in. I do wonder how we try to build from here. Makes sense to go after picks and or prospects to keep long term cap flexibility, but it doesn't make sense to start a firesale and the only expendable piece is Norm - maybe he nets a late first on a contender. So do we add a piece? Aaron Gordon, Myles Turner, Oladipo etc. are probably available for the right price, though still Gordon is the only one interesting. Maybe some team knows they don't want to pay an upcoming RFA and would rather take Norm + a pick - but that only works if you are okay trading then overpaying.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                  here is the thing... if lowry goes which would suck... but if he walks on us then we can sign oladipo to a non max contract... and still have space and be ready for 2022 ... which has harden, beal, potentially holiday, aaron gordon, JV lol.... MArcus smart, Joe ingles if you really are desperate, nurkicor we could even try to max SGA or Michael porter junior, kemba but i think he stays in Boston, griffin , but i'd opt to not sign griffin, lavine, rodney hood, and josh Richardson... so

... waiting a year we may have options
                  Our space disappears once we resign OG, even if Lowry walks. Pascal/Fred/OG will make too much to be a cap space team. Might be able to use the mid-level contract but that's about $10M.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Why not NYC .. in a sign and trade during free agency.... one last fleecing of Dolan for the Raptors.

Masai and Reilly in the same room would be a scene from Highlander... There can only be one.
                    Riley is 75 years old - he has to retire sometime. Masai would be a brilliant succession plan. Plus, the Heat have shown a willingness to give an equity stake in the franchise. Either that, or Tim Lieweke will poach Masai when NBA expansion brings Seattle back into the fold. Again... equity stake.

Signs are clearly pointing to Masai keeping his options open to find a bigger and better opportunity.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Great so now we can do a big overpay for Kyle and claim some kind of victory for just re-signing our own players again ....
                      Yep, the most likely route here is we're gonna use the vaunted "2021 cap space" we've been angling for years (since the Derozan extension) to drumroll......extend OG & Lowry. Then we'll bank on FVV/Flynn upping their game at least at the same rate father time catches up with Lowry.

That is of course, assuming Lowry wants to stay. He will be a free agent free to go chase another ring anywhere. Clippers will at least be calling; we bled-out 4 champions to LA already with nothing back , so he certainly wouldn't be the first...
                      Last edited by inthepaint; Sun Dec 20, 2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• We've been in tougher spots as franchise. But it is looking bleak
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                          We've been in tougher spots as franchise. But it is looking bleak
                          Yup, but we shouldn't accept becoming an also-ran again or defaulting to "t could be worse".
                          -Best management team in the league
                          -Best Coach in the league
                          -World class city (border excuse is bullchit, weather excuse is bullchit, doesn't seem to bother Boston or NYN for instance)
                          -Just off a Championship, good young core still in place

-Yet still can't attract an elite free agent here for love nor money ..... relegated to trying to make difficult trades or wait for a miracle once- in-decades opportunity.

Comment

Yup, but we shouldn't accept becoming an also-ran again or defaulting to "t could be worse".
                            -World class city (border excuse is bullchit, weather excuse is bullchit, doesn't seem to bother Boston or NYN for instance)

-Yet still can't attract an elite free agent here for love nor money ..... relegated to trying to make difficult trades or wait for a miracle once- in-decades opportunity.
                            The latter will likely be less of an issue going forward. There's more and more Canadians entering the league each year, Raps are bound to land a hometown hero at some point in the near future. I think the team will be completely fine as long as MU sticks around for the foreseeable future.

Comment

That's my worry. It doesn't seem like it will continue
                              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• I think too much is being made of missing out on guys that were never really available. Did we put too many eggs into the capspace basket? Yeah probably. We probably also arent the destination people think, but I also think our management is pretty picky with the guys they bring in and adopt the Spurs model of investing in people, culture and fit over talent. We are a draft and develop team, im not overly concerned, more curious how we build from here. I dont mind building around this core but as I said this offseason we are one upgrade in our closing 5 man unit away from contending with the top teams in the east. Instead of going after that guy we took a half step back, and the best case scenario vanished, but we arent yet done.

Comment

Working...
                                X