Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Nobody on the Raptors was actually good from 2006 - 2013 except Chris Bosh. Frankly its amazing we all stuck around. Kudos to each one of you masochists.
    Its funny I watched most of the games back then. After watching the team have winning seasons over the last 7 years, I look back and think to myself how the hell did I watch all those years of losing.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I don't think this is the year to look for the Lowry heir apparent. We should be thinking more along the lines of a 1-year stop gap and pickup a veteran backup PG. The reality is that Fred was never able to lead the bench as a true "quality PG" after Pascal got promoted to the starting lineup. He's basically an undersized shooting guard that can only play with upper-end starters who have play-making ability and/or attract a lot of attention from the defense, leaving him open to spot-up.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/point-guard/

A lot of these guys are on close to minimum contracts. Trey Burke, Mudiay, Raul Neto or Yogi Ferrell could fit the bill. They can actually play backup PG.
      He's not Mo freakin' Williams, I mean put a wee bit of repek on his name! LOL

FVV may not have the star potential of Siakam, but he was very much an important part of the championship run. Finding players that can play next to a star like Kawhi or Giannis and contribute in the playoffs is huge. Look at the Clippers...look at all those Cleveland teams stocked with role players like Mo Williams, around LeBron that weren't able to do shit to help win a championship.

Just have to make sure he signs for the right price.

Comment

• Here's what I'd like to see for the near future

--Let Fred walk (He's a good player, a good leader and should go get paid on a starting point-guard role playing along with a more physical/lengthy backcourt partner, to balance out and complement his game)
        --Sign Serge for one-year large deal, with a handshake agreement he can stay for longer on a smaller per/yr deal, with the aggregate being similar to what he would get now elsewhere on a long term deal
        --Start Kyle-Norm-OG-Siakam-Serge. A lengthy, balanced, and fast lineup where everyone can shoot and spread the floor, with multiple guys that score inside and outside without being stuffed at the rim.
        --Give ample minutes to TD & Thomas on the backcourt
        --Sign Paul Watson as a backup wing
        --Draft the best point guard still on the board with the first round pick (someone like Cassius Winston)
        --Draft Paul Reed with the second pick (or another back up wing)
        --Pick up a cheap backup centre on a vet minimum
        --Go hard at Giannis next summer

What will more likely happen:

--We'll try to re-sign everyone, prioritizing FVV, on a long contract at market value. They'll mildly pursue Serge, but if doesn't work, he'll go
        --We'll try to keep Marc . Marc may or may not decide to go back to Europe, but if he decides to stay, he'll start, and get lots of minutes
        --We'll start Kyle-FVV-OG-Siakam-Marc (same as this year)
        --Primary backup among guards will be McCaw. Backcourt rotation will jammed, TD & Thomas will get zero tolerance to play through mistakes and get the quick hook. Fred will be okay to empty the clip.
        --Norm will continue to have uncertain minutes and inconsistent role, out which we'll demand consistency in performance.
        --We'll draft a Centre with the first pick (someone like Isaiah Stewart), and a backup wing with the second pick.
        --We'll go hard at Giannis next summer. If it doesn't work, we'll get player several tiers lower, or absorb a bad contract with incoming picks to fill the cap (the reverse of the Carroll trade a couple of years back)

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post

He's a backup at best.

Best PG's in Raptors history:

Lowry

Stoudamire

FVV

Calderon
          Alvin
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Nobody on the Raptors was actually good from 2006 - 2013 except Chris Bosh. Frankly its amazing we all stuck around. Kudos to each one of you masochists.
            Put some respect on 20 ppg Mike James' name!

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• If Fred is available at a reasonable enough contract for the team, we can't let him walk. Losing assets while over the cap is the worst, you lose flexibility. Need to keep both options as open as possible: trade and/or 2021 FA.

Comment

• Anthony Parker consistently shot +40% from deep and could play some defence, how good would he be with a green light to launch 6+ three's a game now?

Comment

• h
                  S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Anthony Parker consistently shot +40% from deep and could play some defence, how good would he be with a green light to launch 6+ three's a game now?
                  That's one guy from that era that I think really would fit in today. Excellent shot, 6'6, decent athlete with good IQ, good defender. Versatile. He's basically the guy every team can fit in to their lineup today.
                  Last edited by KeonClark; Tue Sep 22, 2020, 04:12 PM.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                    Here's what I'd like to see for the near future

--Let Fred walk (He's a good player, a good leader and should go get paid on a starting point-guard role playing along with a more physical/lengthy backcourt partner, to balance out and complement his game)
                    --Sign Serge for one-year large deal, with a handshake agreement he can stay for longer on a smaller per/yr deal, with the aggregate being similar to what he would get now elsewhere on a long term deal
                    --Start Kyle-Norm-OG-Siakam-Serge. A lengthy, balanced, and fast lineup where everyone can shoot and spread the floor, with multiple guys that score inside and outside without being stuffed at the rim.
                    --Give ample minutes to TD & Thomas on the backcourt
                    --Sign Paul Watson as a backup wing
                    --Draft the best point guard still on the board with the first round pick (someone like Cassius Winston)
                    --Draft Paul Reed with the second pick (or another back up wing)
                    --Pick up a cheap backup centre on a vet minimum
                    --Go hard at Giannis next summer

What will more likely happen:

--We'll try to re-sign everyone, prioritizing FVV, on a long contract at market value. They'll mildly pursue Serge, but if doesn't work, he'll go
                    --We'll try to keep Marc . Marc may or may not decide to go back to Europe, but if he decides to stay, he'll start, and get lots of minutes
                    --We'll start Kyle-FVV-OG-Siakam-Marc (same as this year)
                    --Primary backup among guards will be McCaw. Backcourt rotation will jammed, TD & Thomas will get zero tolerance to play through mistakes and get the quick hook. Fred will be okay to empty the clip.
                    --Norm will continue to have uncertain minutes and inconsistent role, out which we'll demand consistency in performance.
                    --We'll draft a Centre with the first pick (someone like Isaiah Stewart), and a backup wing with the second pick.
                    --We'll go hard at Giannis next summer. If it doesn't work, we'll get player several tiers lower, or absorb a bad contract with incoming picks to fill the cap (the reverse of the Carroll trade a couple of years back)
                    Norm's uncertain minutes seems a little overblown. In the regular season, Norm played at least 18 minutes in every game except when injured. It's not like he was looking at getting a few minutes and then benched. I doubt he would be looking at that moving forward either, as the primary backup SF. And having upside for minutes is good, knowing the coach will tap you for 35-40 if you are going well is a good motivator for a bench guy.

If anything, you'd think we would try to scale back Lowry's minutes, which would free up some guard time. And even if Gasol is back, expect them to give a heavy load to his backups (presumably Boucher and Hernandez, but maybe Hernandez and their 1st rounder) to understand what they have at C going into summer 2021, but also give some time to small looks, which would free up guard and wing minutes by sliding Pascal or OG to C for chunks of time.

McCaw playing will be as frustrating as ever and hopefully it doesn't happen or doesn't happen much. I do think we will see more Thomas. Not sure TD gets a bigger look than this year but if he plays every game again hard to complain, hopefully gains some trust (I'd say earns but I think he did that last year) by the time the playoffs get here.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Its funny I watched most of the games back then. After watching the team have winning seasons over the last 7 years, I look back and think to myself how the hell did I watch all those years of losing.
                      The BC-Raptors era reminds me of my son's school art projects where he starts out with a great idea and lots of cool supplies but gets flustered halfway through, panics, and ends up with a misshapen paper mache ball in 23 different colors with paper clips, erasers, pipe cleaners and scissors sticking out of it.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

He's not Mo freakin' Williams, I mean put a wee bit of repek on his name! LOL

FVV may not have the star potential of Siakam, but he was very much an important part of the championship run. Finding players that can play next to a star like Kawhi or Giannis and contribute in the playoffs is huge. Look at the Clippers...look at all those Cleveland teams stocked with role players like Mo Williams, around LeBron that weren't able to do shit to help win a championship.

Just have to make sure he signs for the right price.
                        Lol. Just want to set the record straight here. I really do love and appreciate everything that Freddy has brought to the Raptors. The last half of the Bucks series and the Warriors series are forever etched in Raptors lore. But, he's about to be overpaid, which becomes a key factor in roster building, so the expectations for his play will be raised significantly. He's not going to be the plucky underdog anymore. Same with Pascal, when his max kicks in next year.

I want FVV to get every damn penny that he can possibly get while he's at his peak value...... just like Casey got.... somewhere else. And if that max contract is a sign & trade to Dallas (to play with Luka) or to the Bulls (to go home), then that's a win-win for the Raps and for Fred.

And hey... put some respek' on All-Star Mo Williams name. Dude was putting up very FVV-like numbers (17/6/5) with the Bucks, before he joined Lebron. Not a bad a comp, actually.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The BC-Raptors era reminds me of my son's school art projects where he starts out with a great idea and lots of cool supplies but gets flustered halfway through, panics, and ends up with a misshapen paper mache ball in 23 different colors with paper clips, erasers, pipe cleaners and scissors sticking out of it.
                          That is a normal school project! Move on! Find a new slant!

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I am coming around more and more to the idea that they should let Fred walk or find him a sign and trade to keep the space open for Lowry.
                            So let’s talk keeping Lowry for a minute. If Lowry is still playing well and says he’d re-sign for say $20mill per year for another 1-2 years.....and we have OG’s cap hold.....there is definitely not room for FVV and a max slot in that scenario right? Like it’s Lowry or van vleet at that point? I agree with others Lowry probably ain’t taking 10 mill a year unless there is a drastic drop off

Comment

• What about Nando? Is he still the big man on campus is Europe? Why do the Raps keep renewing his FA rights?

He can play backup PG & SG, for sure.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

And hey... put some respek' on All-Star Mo Williams name. Dude was putting up very FVV-like numbers (17/6/5) with the Bucks, before he joined Lebron. Not a bad a comp, actually.
                                Goldy! You're ignoring an entire half of playing the sport of basketball again!

Comment

Working...
                                X