Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great One wrote: View Post
    First things first, they need to re-sign Masai and Nurse to a long term extention. That should be priority #1.

As for the players, we need a superstar or even a star(like a Butler), preferably a WING that can create his own shot. That's how you win in today's game.

And I already talked about this, we're not going to win anything with Siakam as our "best" player or "2nd best" player because 1. he doesn't have the mentality of a great player. And 2. he's a PF. If you look at the greatest PF's in the history of the game - Dirk, Barkley, KG, Malone, McHale - Barkley and Malone never won a championship as the guy. McHale was Robin to Bird's Batman. KG needed to team up with two other 1st ballot hall of famers to win one. Dirk was the exception.

And please don't argue how the Raptors won the championship last year with Siakam as the 2nd best player. KYLE LOWRY was the Raptors 2nd best player last year.
    to be fair ...... tim duncan did

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

to be fair ...... tim duncan did
      Yeah Duncan and Dirk. I just look at Duncan as a PF/C hybrid.

Btw, Siakam is nowhere near as good as Barkley, Malone and KG. Those 3 are the elites of the elites. And they couldn't lead their team to a championship as "the man".
      Last edited by The Great One; Mon Sep 14, 2020, 02:09 PM.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Siakam is more like a wing.. in the mold of Gay, Tatum, Harris then he is a traditional PF like Bosh, Webber, KG, etc. I think PF's in this era are more likely to play small ball C. When we went small, OG was basically our C not Pascal.

Comment

The bench got us to where we were then they were abandoned. What a slap in the face. They lifted the starters out of the mud countless times this season they were a shot in the arm this team needed. Unfortunately starters dug themselves in one too many holes we couldnt get out of against a quality opponent. I never saw a guy draw as much attention as thomas did all season long with the exception of maybe lowry. Those 4 minutes he was on were great then nailed to the bench made no sense at all.

If Boucher goes Im super pissed

Comment

So the greek unfollowed his teammates. Its on guys! Hes gonna demand a trade. I heard his choices are toronto or miami

who do we offer?

Comment

I agree about Thomas, we preach about spacing. We don’t get much better spacing than that. And he does decent enough on D.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Theis was impressive. Never had a chance to watch him this closely before, but he is more than just deceptively athletic. Quite mobile and quicker off his feet than Iblocka.
                Theis was great. It helps too when you don't have to worry about defending anyone and are free to just help your guards and wings defend their guys, which was the case for him for most of the series.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post

I agree with this philosophy, wings win games
                  now. You basically need a bunch of guy that have the ability to create their own shot. Spending a bunch of money on a guy can’t do that is counterproductive.
                  Yeah Im there with that.

Raps get back OG and Pascal. They like Fred for a lot of reasons and I am very confident he comes back. Thats the current core.
                  Kyle has another 2 years in him. One paid and one in the look see season of Giannas UFA.
                  Serge is good and would fit but the window for him here might be over in succession planning. To go along with Pascal and OG you need a younger player in the 23-25 age range. Again who that is ... is up in the air.
                  Norm stays as it would be very hard to find a better player for 11M.
                  The game has become to fast for Marc. Love him. We don't win it without him. But its time.

MIP Brandon Ingram who is an RFA is theoretically on the market. You would have to max him and see if NO has the pockets to match.

Which leaves you to look to find a guy that can get his own shot like we saw Brown and especially Tatum do. Bostons points came much easier than ours did. As you say... we didn't have a guy that could get his own shot. So maybe we could buy one ...

MIP Brandon Ingram who is an RFA is theoretically on the market. You would have to max him and see if NO has the pockets to match. Gail Benson is older and with both her sports properties having expenses business as usual but revenue much less than usual... She might hesitate. For a deal that size David Griffin has to have the owners OK. That would seriously enhance the half court offense which seems to be whats you play in the playoffs.

Serious longshot...

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

Do we have the room to get Ingram? I think we have to drop the capholds on Serg, Gasol, Fred to even sign him. And then try to fill out the team with 1 year contracts to keep space available for the FA class.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

I mean, I can see why you would want to frame it that way and that’s your prerogative. But as poorly as the game 7 results went, I don’t think swapping Serge and Marc changes a thing.

Powell was a disaster in this series, more so than FVV. He hit some shots in a few games but gave back most of that on the other end. If he was being handed the ball to create offence the same way Fred was you’d be even worse off, as the offence would die along with the defence.

You can argue that if they did things differently, they win game 7. Certainly possible. And I can’t disprove it. But I would counter that without Gasol starting, they lose games 3 and 4 and 6 ( if they got there). Again, I can’t prove it. So assign me the L if you like. I don’t much care. I just wanted the Raps to win, and they didn’t, so I don’t have any stakes in the discussion at this point. Mostly I was just mad Gasol and FVV played (offence) poorly enough for it to be a discussion, because as ever if the Raptors were going to have to rely on Serge or Powell down the stretch it was going to end poorly.

DanH doesn't actually watch games (or is a closet Celtics fan) confirmed.

Last edited by golden; Mon Sep 14, 2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

LaVert is a player I wouldn’t mind chasing. There’s a lot of mouths to feed in Brooklyn, I can see him getting frustrated with his role. He has a decent contract extension starting next year.

Comment

LaVert is a player I wouldn’t mind chasing. There’s a lot of mouths to feed in Brooklyn, I can see him getting frustrated with his role. He has a decent contract extension starting next year.
                          I don't see us getting lavert unfortunately

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

DanH doesn't actually watch games (or is a closet Celtics fan) confirmed.

i think he means more with regards to consistency

Comment

Do we have the room to get Ingram? I think we have to drop the capholds on Serg, Gasol, Fred to even sign him. And then try to fill out the team with 1 year contracts to keep space available for the FA class.
                              We might but I think it ruins our capspace for giannis.. but I would LOVE to get him.

If I were ATL or even phoenix ... i'd consider going for him

Comment

Ingram's an RFA that will want a max contract. We can't afford a max contract this off season. The only thing we can afford is a mid-level type of deal (around $10M). Or if it was a sign and trade like Brogdon was when he went to Indiana.

Comment

Working...
                                X