Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

and there was a year Terrence ross made more than Steph Curry. C'mon man. That contract was signed 2 years ago!
    That was in a hot market too.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
      Here's what I think, and Dan can correct me if I'm wrong here.

There are two paths. You re-sign most of the guys, using Bird rights to go over the cap, because you can use their salaries as ballast in trades if that's what you want.

Or you let everyone walk to preserve room under the cap for 2021. There's no point in just re-signing Serge since it bollocks up the cap space.

Given Masai's history, I think the odds are heavily in favour of the former approach. He has preached continuity for a long, long time. So unless a star becomes available, and we can pull off a sign and trade with say FVV and/or Ibaka, we will mostly end up moving pieces around on the margins until 2021.
      Well, there is the middle ground, which I have been advocating for since... the day Kawhi walked (actually before that when I was exploring possible paths depending on Kawhi’s choice). Re-sign Fred long term, re-sign whichever of the centres is willing to take a one year deal (I’ve always assumed that was Marc, seems even more likely now), and both keep your talent (for the most part) and keep flexibility to add a star in 2021. Heck, if they get Marc to sign a 2 year deal with the 2nd a team option by overpaying for year one, they would also have two big salary ballast pieces in Norm and Marc to make a deal at the trade deadline if something really good crops up. You lose Serge, you possibly lose Boucher.

Then even if there is no trade made, you can enter 2021 free agency with the ability to sign a max free agent, or if you strike out, Bird Rights for Lowry, Norm and Marc to continue to operate above the cap, sign them all to tradable deals and prepare for an eventual trade for a star, as at that point unless you want to let OG walk too you are not going to have max cap space for a while.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Masai just have to place a cap of how much he can offer Fred...if 20 million then so be it.

But definitely with the SOLE intention of including him in a package before next season’s trade deadline and setting up the team as playoff contenders/maintain a winning culture in preparation for the Giannis sweepstakes.

Siakam and Van Vleet combo will not cut it.

Siakam and Lillard with Nurse and Masai
        Siakam and Beal with Nurse and Masai

will make Giannis think twice.
        Will depend on cap projections. But assuming a flat cap this year and next (109M), the limit is 21M or so in 2021, meaning a 5 year deal could be up to 118M (23.5M AAV).
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• No Plumlees please

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
            No Plumlees please
            Can I interest you in a zeller?
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
              Fred is a good player, but it sucks having two short guards starting. Thats part of the reason why we lost against the Celtics. Sure you can blame Pascal, but whenever Tatum or Brown got a switch on Kyle or Fred, they can shoot over them and both are good mid range shooters. Happened quite often. Either way I'm expecting some mediocre team to overpay for Fred, so we can say good bye to him.
              Retain the asset unless you let him walk to make a path for another move you know you have a very good shot to acquire.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Can I interest you in a zeller?
                Does the board get Club Z points?

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

Does the board get Club Z points?
                  No, just a 7 foot tall caucasian male with rapidly thinning hair.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

No, just a 7 foot tall caucasian male with rapidly thinning hair.

Comment

• Comment

• Sonny wrote: View Post
                        I'm happy for Freddy. He worked his butt off for every dollar that is offered to him.

Comment

• I would let Fred walk if it's a cent over $20 mil. He earned it, but his shot making is a luxury that we should not be paying top dollar for. We'll miss his defence for sure- he's one of the best in the league at getting deflections and guarding smaller guards, but I don't see him as a legit point guard, and he's too small to be a long term 2 guard.

Comment

• Hard decisions to be made but they will have t be made by FVV since I wouldn't match that.
                            Where do you want to play Fred vs how much do you want to make.

Do you want to stay with a winner or go there and suck?

Comment

• I have no idea who started that rumour or if it's real.. but $22M a year is a lot for Fred.

I think Masai over pays to keep him.. he always does (DeMar, Kyle, Serge, JV, DeMarre, etc). I mean he gave Stanley Johnson and Patrick McCaw a second year. But I think Fred is a tradeable contract either way. He's small and can shoot you out of games. But is one of the better perimeter defenders in the league. I don't think he'd be a good replacement for Kyle eventually. And that $22M could come in use to get someone else on the team if we have to.

I was pulling out my hair watching him play against the Celtics so I am okay with moving on. And if we let him walk we can find some stop gap fillers from free agency for the season. Someone like Jordan Clarkson for example. Give him a 1+1 deal for like $15M. And then go into 2021 with only Siakam, Norm and Matt on the books. Won't even have to worry about Norm's player option.

Clarkson proves he can play in the playoffs. Our defense takes a bit of a hit with him, but really not by much. Not with OG/Siakam and Kyle still on the team.

If I had to guess though Fred will be back. Teams will inquire and Masai will treat him well at the end of the day because that's what he does. Plus Nurse really likes him and he just got extended.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                                I would let Fred walk if it's a cent over $20 mil. He earned it, but his shot making is a luxury that we should not be paying top dollar for. We'll miss his defence for sure- he's one of the best in the league at getting deflections and guarding smaller guards, but I don't see him as a legit point guard, and he's too small to be a long term 2 guard.
                                Pretty spot on assessment. Hes a very good undersized two guard. Hed be worth top dollar with the right pieces around him. If we sign FVV, I think we need to also make a move for a longterm guard who fits with Fred or a superstar ball dominant wing.

Comment

Working...
                                X