Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

We also saw certain knuckle-headedness from some of our championship vets in the bubble. We're also seeing a lot of teams trusting their young players with important minutes and living with the rookie mistakes. Interesting that there isn't a sports term for 'veteran mistakes'.
    Oh I wasn't referring to mistakes he makes in the game, I was referring to making a great play then getting in someones face about it and going back and fourth with opposing players, benches etc. That is the sort of immaturity which for the most part the Raptors don't represent. Lowry even has calmed down in that area a lot.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

I don't care what regular season tokens he earned but that's just me. No one who wants to win is paying that man. They would have needed to totally ignore the playoffs. This was his moment to shine and he fucked up badly. He lost some serious money, I think.
      I don't really get that logic. I mean every time Embiid and Vucevic run into Gasol, he has their number, so does that mean they are worse players for it or it was just a bad match up for them? I doubt anyone is going to pay them less because Gasol can lock them up.

Comment

You don't know that, you weren't there. Time will tell.
        Bulls: Butler thought Hoiberg was too laid back and an incompetent coach. Bulls front office has proven to be a disaster. He was right.

Wolves: Butler thought the franchise was coddling Wiggins and Towns, who didn't care enough about winning. He was right.

Sixers: Didn't like Brett Brown. Similar thoughts about Simmons, as Wiggins & Towns. No issues there, really. Butler did his job, was their best player in the playoffs and left in free agency, as was his right.

He relishes the hard-ass winning culture, like he said in JJ Redick's podcost. He can't stand soft, entitled teammates. I wasn't there, but I've heard Butler explain the reasons why he had conflict in other places. It seems to fit.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I'm trying to figure out what those other levels would be for OG. His defense is there every night so really we are talking about his offense. Perhaps his role expands as the vets are phased out, but he's definitely taking a back seat to Pascal and Freddy. I'd like to see him get a few more shots a game.

I loved Davis at the start of the season and he has a lot of potential. The more I see him on the court though, the more I see a certain knuckle-headedness from him. He has a bit of maturing to do as a player, but all the talent is there fo sho.
          OG is just starting to develop his off the bounce game.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Personally I think Harrell is hardly better than RHJ. He was getting minutes on a mediocre Clippers team then held his spot on a higher profile Clippers team that didn't have any other bodies at his position (Zubac??) then got played off the floor as soon as they got to high level competition in the playoffs. RHJ put up very Harrell-like numbers the season Brooklyn gave him Harrell-like usage.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
              Personally I think Harrell is hardly better than RHJ. He was getting minutes on a mediocre Clippers team then held his spot on a higher profile Clippers team that didn't have any other bodies at his position (Zubac??) then got played off the floor as soon as they got to high level competition in the playoffs. RHJ put up very Harrell-like numbers the season Brooklyn gave him Harrell-like usage.
              He's basically Kenneth Farried. Who I think is in China now right? Get him for real cheap and you've saved yourself a lot of money.

I think he goes back to LAC. Without draft picks, they need all the tradeable assets they can get on their roster to improve further. If they let him walk, the only things they'll have left are the mid-level and bi-annual exceptions.

Won't find many difference makers for $10M. Maybe someone like Serge if he leaves Toronto? But then we could be trying to bring him back too.

Comment

Personally I think Harrell is hardly better than RHJ. He was getting minutes on a mediocre Clippers team then held his spot on a higher profile Clippers team that didn't have any other bodies at his position (Zubac??) then got played off the floor as soon as they got to high level competition in the playoffs. RHJ put up very Harrell-like numbers the season Brooklyn gave him Harrell-like usage.
                RHJ is a lot more versatile defensively - he can legit guard guys like Kawhi and Lebron. Surprised we didn't see him on Tatum and Brown for spurts. Harrell doesn't have as quick feet - he's more explosive vertically. I'd take RHJ over him, especially at the price.

Comment

Would he have assimilated though? The Raptors are about the collective, not about the individual. He blames everyone else for his troubles in all his other stops. He's had a quiet year in Miami on this front but I don't trust it lasts forever.
                  The hype of the Heat culture and the aura of Pat Riley with a championship coach in Spoelstra could be factors why he is not the Jimmy of the Wolves and the Sixers.

I think the Raptors organization from the top down to his off court relationship with Lowry could match that.

South Beach vs. the fridgid winters of Toronto was the deal breaker to any potential free agent, let’s be real

Comment

• Why if I am MLSE if they are able to sign Masai long term and him for some magical reason able to acquire Giannis, they would also build a statue of Ujiri with him hugging Lowry (after his altercation with the sheriff or his facial reaction while waiting for Lowry to hoist that trophy).

Comment

Forget about the contract/cost, etc., does Harrell really fit in Toronto? No offense but the guy doesn't strike me as a terribly smart or crafty player. He doesn't shoot it well and he isn't a great defender in space. He might have better numbers but he's basically Ibaka without the shot or BB IQ or intangibles. RHJ didn't really fit either but Raps didn't exactly have a lot of options once Leonard was gone and needed some bodies.

This rumour doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Comment

• Is floor spacing a requirement to be a Raptor center, assuming Marc leaves? What about trying to bring in Tristan Thompson for a 1 year deal? Would only be able to afford the mid-level.

He's a pretty decent defender. Elite at rebounding off of misses (which is something we could have used when we throw up so many bricks). Don't think he has much of a mid-range game but it would be better than Harrell's. Of course we like to get back in transition, and if Tristan is busy trying to get a rebound off of a miss, we can get exposed.

Maybe I'm talking myself out of it.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Is floor spacing a requirement to be a Raptor center, assuming Marc leaves? What about trying to bring in Tristan Thompson for a 1 year deal? Would only be able to afford the mid-level.

He's a pretty decent defender. Elite at rebounding off of misses (which is something we could have used when we throw up so many bricks). Don't think he has much of a mid-range game but it would be better than Harrell's. Of course we like to get back in transition, and if Tristan is busy trying to get a rebound off of a miss, we can get exposed.

I don't have much interest in TT, but there may be a place for a guy with not great range but other needed strengths (mobility, rebounding, size, shot blocking) to play 15-20 mpg, assuming Ibaka/Gasol are not here next year.

Comment

• My go to center targets are still Giles and Baynes. Giles has an injury risk attached to him, but I think he's a potential breakout candidate. I always liked Baynes when he was with Boston and then early in the year with Phoenix. And he's shooting 3's now which is a huge bonus.

Comment

• I don’t think the Harrell rumours are true. A lot of the talk might be to drive up his price tag to the clippers. I’m sure Toronto is more than happy to help the clippers spend more than they need to.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Is floor spacing a requirement to be a Raptor center, assuming Marc leaves? What about trying to bring in Tristan Thompson for a 1 year deal? Would only be able to afford the mid-level.

If Giannis is truly Plan A for Masai then a big man capable of stretching the floor would help a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X