Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post

If Giannis is truly Plan A for Masai then a big man capable of stretching the floor would help a lot.
    Yeah.. I'm just thinking about this season coming up though.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

The hype of the Heat culture and the aura of Pat Riley with a championship coach in Spoelstra could be factors why he is not the Jimmy of the Wolves and the Sixers.

I think the Raptors organization from the top down to his off court relationship with Lowry could match that.

South Beach vs. the fridgid winters of Toronto was the deal breaker to any potential free agent, let’s be real
      Correction: Jimmy of the Bulls, Wolves and 76ers. Fourth times a charm I'm sure... But maybe you're right, its just that Ujiri doesn't seem to go after guys who have challenging personalities. Could they make it work? Possibly, yeah. We'll never know and I'm sort of thankful. I like him in fantasy basketball though.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

For sure. Butler raves about the 'practically militant' Miami team culture - he loves discipline, hard work and professionalism. Sounds just like the Raptors culture. Secondly, one of his best NBA buddy's is Lowry, who is the leader of our collective. Thirdly... it WAS everyone else's fault in all of Butler's other stops. Every team he played for achieved their recent peak with him and got worse when he left.

Butler is all about winning.... whatever it takes. So is Masai. So is Nurse. So is Lowry. Seems like a perfect fit to me.
        He's not been there a full cycle yet. Give him time...

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

His grandmother who he was really close with passed away and he left the bubble for about a week to grieve. His terrible play in the playoffs could be because of that. Lots of pressure to suite up and play. I don't think he should have if his mind wasn't right.
          I can understand how that could impact his play tremendously. I just don't think it will matter to people in FA period like it mattered to him in the playoffs.

He looks like a NY Knick. Any competent GM isn't going to roll the dice on an undersized center who got crucified in the spotlight, especially out West. They all need to get through Jokic and Davis.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Forget about the contract/cost, etc., does Harrell really fit in Toronto? No offense but the guy doesn't strike me as a terribly smart or crafty player. He doesn't shoot it well and he isn't a great defender in space. He might have better numbers but he's basically Ibaka without the shot or BB IQ or intangibles. RHJ didn't really fit either but Raps didn't exactly have a lot of options once Leonard was gone and needed some bodies.

This rumour doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
            No idea where the rumour came from, perhaps just someone putting it out there because Harrel for whatever reason started following the Raptors on Twitter. He doesn't really strike me as a great fit, but he would inject some offense as a roll man which isn't really something we had with Marc. He's averaged 16 & 18 ppg in the last couple of seasons as a back up so his scoring isn't a blip. Considering what we were paying Serge and Marc as our C rotation there might be some value to be had. Just trying to make sense if there is any truth to this.

I do like him better than RHJ as a C though because he has the size and strength to bang with the bigger bodies. Sort of like Tucker, in Houston.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I don't really get that logic. I mean every time Embiid and Vucevic run into Gasol, he has their number, so does that mean they are worse players for it or it was just a bad match up for them? I doubt anyone is going to pay them less because Gasol can lock them up.
              They're both far superior players to him. He was exposed badly. My logic is sound. I'm not saying he's out of the league now but: name me TWO relevant teams who are likely to break the bank for him? There must be at least two for him to get paid up to the regular season hype.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

If Giannis is truly Plan A for Masai then a big man capable of stretching the floor would help a lot.
                We have one in-house with Serge. He was the best rebounder and 3pt shooter on the team last playoffs and typically alter/block a lot of shots at the rim. Imo he's a better option than Harrell, TT, Baynes etc. The question is the cost and term of the contract. if we were able to keep him I think all we would need is a low cost energy C to split the backup minutes with Boucher (in case Marc goes back to Europe). We could get one with our 2nd round pick and save some cap space that way (or try Dewan and see what he can bring)

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Correction: Jimmy of the Bulls, Wolves and 76ers. Fourth times a charm I'm sure... But maybe you're right, its just that Ujiri doesn't seem to go after guys who have challenging personalities. Could they make it work? Possibly, yeah. We'll never know and I'm sort of thankful. I like him in fantasy basketball though.
                  Butler and Lowry are basically the same guy. Only difference is Lowry only got ran out of two places before finding a home and Butler got ran out of 3.

Comment

Butler and Lowry are basically the same guy. Only difference is Lowry only got ran out of two places before finding a home and Butler got ran out of 3.
                    Are they really? I'll have to disagree. Either way, it doesn't matter now.

Comment

The hype of the Heat culture and the aura of Pat Riley with a championship coach in Spoelstra could be factors why he is not the Jimmy of the Wolves and the Sixers.

I think the Raptors organization from the top down to his off court relationship with Lowry could match that.

South Beach vs. the fridgid winters of Toronto was the deal breaker to any potential free agent, let’s be real
                      Could have been in his case but Toronto Winters (especially downtown) are no worse and in many cases better than New York, Boston, Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota etc and hundreds of players seem to land there.

All things being equal, no denying the attraction of LA or South Beach

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

We have one in-house with Serge. He was the best rebounder and 3pt shooter on the team last playoffs and typically alter/block a lot of shots at the rim. Imo he's a better option than Harrell, TT, Baynes etc. The question is the cost and term of the contract. if we were able to keep him I think all we would need is a low cost energy C to split the backup minutes with Boucher (in case Marc goes back to Europe). We could get one with our 2nd round pick and save some cap space that way (or try Dewan and see what he can bring)
                        I’m also ok with a bit more small lineups with OG or Siakam at the 5. Especially if we have Lowry, FVV, TD, and Thomas all trying to get minutes. They could very well be our 3rd center.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

I’m also ok with a bit more small lineups with OG or Siakam at the 5. Especially if we have Lowry, FVV, TD, and Thomas all trying to get minutes. They could very well be our 3rd center.
                          Me too. I feel like TD & Thomas, if given the chance to share more consistent minutes with guys like Lowry & Siakam (when he regains his natural game), could do really well

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

They're both far superior players to him. He was exposed badly. My logic is sound. I'm not saying he's out of the league now but: name me TWO relevant teams who are likely to break the bank for him? There must be at least two for him to get paid up to the regular season hype.
                            Not really sure about breaking the bank...Lou Will was the reigning 6th man and is getting around 8M per, Freddy was a lead contributor off the bench for us the last few years and signed for 9M per. They're guards though and a lot has changed since those two signed their contracts....guys I've barely heard of are getting 15M these days. I think anyone after Harrel is hoping he turns into a (very) poor mans version of Adebayo, as a starter.

Two relevant teams looking for someone like that could be Dallas, they need a tough guy next to Kristaps to protect Luca. If they abandon the D'antonni ofense, Houston might be a second. A 3rd might be Toronto if the rumour is true.

Comment

Forget about the contract/cost, etc., does Harrell really fit in Toronto? No offense but the guy doesn't strike me as a terribly smart or crafty player. He doesn't shoot it well and he isn't a great defender in space. He might have better numbers but he's basically Ibaka without the shot or BB IQ or intangibles. RHJ didn't really fit either but Raps didn't exactly have a lot of options once Leonard was gone and needed some bodies.

This rumour doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
                              lol. What's left after that?

Raptors have 4 front-court players entering free agency (Ibaka, Gasol, Boucher & RHJ), so in theory, there is a potential void. Harrell and his agent are trying to create a market for his services... it makes perfect sense to me (from their side).

I mean, forget about Ibaka, what does Harrell do that Boucher with more minutes, doesn't? This is what Boucher did when he was given real minutes.

Can he do it night-in / night-out? That is the question.

Comment

Agreed. I'd also add that Jimmy would be reluctant to join the team that knocked him out a la Durant

Comment

Working...
                                X