No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle is a core piece until he's 37 or 38 years of age. My core going forward is Kyle, Pascal and OG. I do not want to lose Kyle in the next few years. I don't care that he's turning 35 next March. He was the best player on the team this season, and he'll be the best player on the team next season.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Kyle is a core piece until he's 37 or 38 years of age. My core going forward is Kyle, Pascal and OG. I do not want to lose Kyle in the next few years. I don't care that he's turning 35 next March. He was the best player on the team this season, and he'll be the best player on the team next season.

That Kyle still has it and is unlikely to fall off a cliff next year is a high probability but his deal doesn't work with the 2021 FA year. It has to be over in order to make the best offer you can to the best FA to come along in a while. Kyle would be back if there was room for both him and the Alphabet on the ins and outs of the salary cap play out.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

That Kyle still has it and is unlikely to fall off a cliff next year is a high probability but his deal doesn't work with the 2021 FA year. It has to be over in order to make the best offer you can to the best FA to come along in a while. Kyle would be back if there was room for both him and the Alphabet on the ins and outs of the salary cap play out.
        Get Fred off the books and Kyle can slide in using Fred's market value. If Fred is going to command $20M.. give that to Kyle in 2021. We can still bring in Giannis if that's the plan.

Kyle will not take a major pay cut in 2021 at the age of 35 or 36. Most super star vets like Tim and Dirk didn't take their big pay cut until they were 37 or 38. Chris Paul is making over $40M a year and he's a year older than Kyle.

I'd rather lose Fred to keep Kyle than to potentially lose Kyle because we were too greedy in 2021.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Who is the core 3 or 4 of the Raps regardless of what happens in FA this year or next ? Caveat is that Lowry as good as this guy still is…. IS NOT a core piece based solely on timeline.

My vote is Pascal, OG, Freddy and I’m going to take flack for it but I keep Norm based on continuity and timeline and a very very very teamfriendly deal. .
          Siakam and Anunoby are almost certainly sticking around (99% staying). Siakam is one of the best forwards in the league and would be very difficult to replace on both ends. OG has a lot of upside left. Both guys also compliment stars well in that they can carry a big load defensively, aren't ball stoppers, and don't need the ball to be successful.

Everything we hear from the team also suggest that FVV is around to stay but I would put him a notch below the other two guys (75% staying).

I think Lowry plays out his extension and sees what happens from there. If Raps can add a legit #1 guy, he may stay for a price they can afford and, if not, he may move on for one more shot somewhere. No idea with him.

Outside of that they have a bunch of players to slot in here and there but you may have to (or want to) move some of those guys for vets, etc.

As for 2021 FA, personally, I don't think any high profile player is going to Toronto. People don't want to hear that but I would be shocked if a Giannis comes north, for example. As good as Toronto's situation is basketball-wise, economically and geographically it has some inherent disadvantages that aren't easily waved away. I think it is far more likely that they bring in someone via trade, which is why it is important they have a couple decent-sized contracts that can moved (FVV, Serge).

Comment

• Training cam p in December?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Kyle is a core piece until he's 37 or 38 years of age. My core going forward is Kyle, Pascal and OG. I do not want to lose Kyle in the next few years. I don't care that he's turning 35 next March. He was the best player on the team this season, and he'll be the best player on the team next season.

I am coming around more and more to the idea that they should let Fred walk or find him a sign and trade to keep the space open for Lowry.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                Training cam p in December?

With them setting the draft date late November, and free agency being shortly after that, this seemed likely to be the case. In an ideal world I'm sure they'd love to have opening day on Dec 25th, but that would be really rushed.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I am coming around more and more to the idea that they should let Fred walk or find him a sign and trade to keep the space open for Lowry.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

If they're going to let Fred walk, they better have a backup plan. Like, who's going to backup Lowry next year?

1. Who's going to be Lowry's heir apparent? quality PG like Fred don't just grow on trees. The last quality PG the Raps had before Lowry was Stoudamire.

2. Extend Lowry. Sure I'm all for it but Lowry will be 35 next year. It's risky. How long can he play at this level?

3. Sign and trade is interesting but it's something that rarely happens in basketball.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

They seem to be able to find guys just fine without paying or trading for more picks, so why waste resources?
                      It sounds awful, and I don't mean it that way, but to answer your question I would like see what sort of players they can produce by working with better stock.

Comment

I think if Plan A is Giannis, you want to keep Kyle around. He'll be 36 or 37, but he can take a backseat to Giannis and Pascal and be the 3rd or even 4th option and just be the floor general/leader that he is.

I'd be completely okay keeping Kyle around until he retires and if his play starts falling off, you keep him around for his leadership/locker room guy like the Heat has with Haslem. Obviously it depends on the price and if thats what Kyle wants.

Comment

If they're going to let Fred walk, they better have a backup plan. Like, who's going to backup Lowry next year?

1. Who's going to be Lowry's heir apparent? quality PG like Fred don't just grow on trees. The last quality PG the Raps had before Lowry was Stoudamire.

2. Extend Lowry. Sure I'm all for it but Lowry will be 35 next year. It's risky. How long can he play at this level?

3. Sign and trade is interesting but it's something that rarely happens in basketball.

I don't think this is the year to look for the Lowry heir apparent. We should be thinking more along the lines of a 1-year stop gap and pickup a veteran backup PG. The reality is that Fred was never able to lead the bench as a true "quality PG" after Pascal got promoted to the starting lineup. He's basically an undersized shooting guard that can only play with upper-end starters who have play-making ability and/or attract a lot of attention from the defense, leaving him open to spot-up.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/point-guard/

A lot of these guys are on close to minimum contracts. Trey Burke, Mudiay, Raul Neto or Yogi Ferrell could fit the bill. They can actually play backup PG.

Comment

The last quality PG the Raps had before Lowry was Stoudamire.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I don't think this is the year to look for the Lowry heir apparent. We should be thinking more along the lines of a 1-year stop gap and pickup a veteran backup PG. The reality is that Fred was never able to lead the bench as a true "quality PG" after Pascal got promoted to the starting lineup. He's basically an undersized shooting guard that can only play with upper-end starters who have play-making ability and/or attract a lot of attention from the defense, leaving him open to spot-up.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/point-guard/

A lot of these guys are on close to minimum contracts. Trey Burke, Mudiay, Raul Neto or Yogi Ferrell could fit the bill. They can actually play backup PG.
                              May as well just make Davis the backup PG then. Hell, just go with Matt Thomas or Powell or even Stanley Johnson. And are you Trey Burke's mom? Trey Burke couldn't even get on the floor in Philly a team in desperate needs of..... get this, GUARDS! The only reason he got on the floor in Dallas is cause the Mavs quite literally have no NBA quality starting guards.

Hey, speaking of backup PGs that could easily replace FVV given the chance, how's Delon Wright doing in Dallas? Oh...… must be another coach that hates him.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post

Nobody on the Raptors was actually good from 2006 - 2013 except Chris Bosh. Frankly its amazing we all stuck around. Kudos to each one of you masochists.
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X