Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Q:> If we sign FVV, is he eligible to be traded at the 2021 trade deadline? I recall Masai signing Nene and/or JaVale McGee and then quickly trading them in the same season. Didn't that also happen to Blake Griffin?

We might see a bunch of deals going down at the deadline, with some teams hungry or desperate to load up for a big playoff run (e.g. Clippers, Bucks, Sixers, Lakers, Mavs, ...), or simply get in (e.g. Pistons, Hawks, Bulls,...) and other teams positioning for 2021 cap space. FVV could be a valuable trade chip for the teams with playoff aspirations.
    Don't we got playoff aspirations? Or just playoff perspirations?
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Q:> If we sign FVV, is he eligible to be traded at the 2021 trade deadline? I recall Masai signing Nene and/or JaVale McGee and then quickly trading them in the same season. Didn't that also happen to Blake Griffin?

We might see a bunch of deals going down at the deadline, with some teams hungry or desperate to load up for a big playoff run (e.g. Clippers, Bucks, Sixers, Lakers, Mavs, ...), or simply get in (e.g. Pistons, Hawks, Bulls,...) and other teams positioning for 2021 cap space. FVV could be a valuable trade chip for the teams with playoff aspirations.
      I believe newly signed free agents can be traded 6 months after their deals. Masai I believe traded Nene at the deadline after signing him to a 4 year deal in the summer prior to that deadline.

The issue with any potential Fred trade is we'll want little to no salary back. And that's tough when a lot of teams are going to want to create cap space for 2021. Who are some good candidates to trade for that will be on 1 year deals going into next year?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I believe newly signed free agents can be traded 6 months after their deals. Masai I believe traded Nene at the deadline after signing him to a 4 year deal in the summer prior to that deadline.

The issue with any potential Fred trade is we'll want little to no salary back. And that's tough when a lot of teams are going to want to create cap space for 2021. Who are some good candidates to trade for that will be on 1 year deals going into next year?
        I would have thought if you're trading FVV it's as part of a package to get a star, rather than clear cap space. I don't really agree that the options are get a big FA in 2021 or re-sign the same guys. I think it's FA or big trade. They could end up sitting pat if FA doesn't work out but I wouldn't put money on that.

Comment

If THJ opts in, then FVV to Dallas for THJ (expiring) + a pick. Dallas needs a secondary ball-handler at the PG/SG spot. Fred & Luka is a match made in heaven.

Comment

If THJ opts in, then FVV to Dallas for THJ (expiring) + a pick. Dallas needs a secondary ball-handler at the PG/SG spot. Fred & Luka is a match made in heaven.
            Doesn't Dallas have an abundance of ball handlers as is?

JJ Barrera, Seth Curry, Tim Hardaway Jr., Trey Burke, Courtney Lee to name a few...not to mention Luka.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I would have thought if you're trading FVV it's as part of a package to get a star, rather than clear cap space. I don't really agree that the options are get a big FA in 2021 or re-sign the same guys. I think it's FA or big trade. They could end up sitting pat if FA doesn't work out but I wouldn't put money on that.
              It's hard to get any read out of Masai because he keeps his cards so close to his vest (unlike Colangelo who was an open book). But for the past few years he seems to always be looking at 2021 as his big chance to land a whale. Maybe he doesn't care and he's just keeping things flexible.

We'll see what happens in a few months. I think Giannis signing the supermax would make it really easy for Masai to use the trade route again to get better. If Giannis doesn't, I think he remains open to him. Even if it might be slim.

Comment

I like the Bulls.

Fred for Porter+2021 pick. Porter has a player option for next season which he'll probably opt into. They got Donovan now and will want to win now.

I think they'll end up in the lottery again. That could end up being a great draft pick.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Yes. Prime Fa or big trade.
                  Re-signing our aging-own and expecting better results is comfortable but irrational to expect

Comment

It's hard to get any read out of Masai because he keeps his cards so close to his vest (unlike Colangelo who was an open book). But for the past few years he seems to always be looking at 2021 as his big chance to land a whale. Maybe he doesn't care and he's just keeping things flexible.

We'll see what happens in a few months. I think Giannis signing the supermax would make it really easy for Masai to use the trade route again to get better. If Giannis doesn't, I think he remains open to him. Even if it might be slim.
                    And obviously a lot depends on what other teams and players are doing. I am probably biased because I don't think Giannis or any other premiere player is coming to Toronto in free agency, so I see a trade as the only viable option, which is one of the reasons I favour re-signing guys like Ibaka and FVV cause they give you salary to work with in making those kinds of deals.

Comment

• I can't wait for Masai draft somebody who nobody heard about
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Yes. Prime Fa or big trade.
                        Re-signing our aging-own and expecting better results is comfortable but irrational to expect
                        Why not both?

Comment

I don't know if it's so much A whale, as it is THE whale. To date the biggest free agent to give us a meeting has been LeMarcus Aldridge and there was no indication we were even close. Giannis provides a unique opportunity because of whatever ties he has to Masai and the work he does in Africa...I think?

I really don't see us as having a shot at anyone else in the top tier...even guys like Beal and McCollum will have plenty of suitors that are in warm climates and doesn't require crossing borders. Massai has to have something solid planned if he's focusing on the 20/21 off season right?

Comment

• Kelly oubre is expiring and maybe Phoenix still wants FVV.

The challenge with trading him at the deadline is if we are saving money for cap room in 2021 so are other teams. I’m sure Dallas is thinking about pairing Luka with Giannis too.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I don't know if it's so much A whale, as it is THE whale. To date the biggest free agent to give us a meeting has been LeMarcus Aldridge and there was no indication we were even close. Giannis provides a unique opportunity because of whatever ties he has to Masai and the work he does in Africa...I think?

I really don't see us as having a shot at anyone else in the top tier...even guys like Beal and McCollum will have plenty of suitors that are in warm climates and doesn't require crossing borders. Massai has to have something solid planned if he's focusing on the 20/21 off season right?
                              We had a "whale of a meeting" last summer...

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I like the Bulls.

Fred for Porter+2021 pick. Porter has a player option for next season which he'll probably opt into. They got Donovan now and will want to win now.

I think they'll end up in the lottery again. That could end up being a great draft pick.
                                Fred and Norm for Porter and WCJ. Sign me up.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X