Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Q:> If we sign FVV, is he eligible to be traded at the 2021 trade deadline? I recall Masai signing Nene and/or JaVale McGee and then quickly trading them in the same season. Didn't that also happen to Blake Griffin?

We might see a bunch of deals going down at the deadline, with some teams hungry or desperate to load up for a big playoff run (e.g. Clippers, Bucks, Sixers, Lakers, Mavs, ...), or simply get in (e.g. Pistons, Hawks, Bulls,...) and other teams positioning for 2021 cap space. FVV could be a valuable trade chip for the teams with playoff aspirations.
    Yes, though it depends when they set the trade deadline. Usually teams can trade their signed free agents by December or January, so I imagine they'll tweak the rules to make sure teams can make trades before the deadline this year as well.

Actually, it would be far easier to trade FVV near the deadline than to do a sign and trade due to his base year compensation. Makes it really difficult to match salaries in a sign and trade, unless both sides add a bunch of other salary.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Fred and Norm for Porter and WCJ. Sign me up.
      You're really liking Carter Jr. Pls elaborate.

Comment

Simply put, he's really damn good. He just needs to stay healthy. Also, Porter Jr. would be great on the wing with OG and Pascal. All of a sudden we'd have great size. A starting lineup of Kyle, OG, Porter Jr. Pascal, and WCJ would be incredible on both ends of the floor IMO.

Comment

• That being said, I don't think the Bulls do that deal.

Comment

Yes, though it depends when they set the trade deadline. Usually teams can trade their signed free agents by December or January, so I imagine they'll tweak the rules to make sure teams can make trades before the deadline this year as well.

Actually, it would be far easier to trade FVV near the deadline than to do a sign and trade due to his base year compensation. Makes it really difficult to match salaries in a sign and trade, unless both sides add a bunch of other salary.
            I agree with this completely.. and I could see this happening too. As much as I would like FVV if we end up keeping lowry...... i honestly think we could sign and trade FVV for a SOLID star to pair with giannis... also again if we have both on the roster... would one or the other (lowry and fred) feel comfortable coming off the bench... because for the sake of size.... one of them honestly should be.. it also works out better for playoffs so you shouldn't have to play them both 43 minutes per game...

AGAIN i am highly in favor and I see a potential victor oladipo trade for norm POTENTIALLY.

Comment

WCJ is awesome. One of the few bright lights on that Bulls team, really like his upside, and with a 7M deal in 2021 that's a pretty cheap quality piece to fill the gap at the 5. He's a disaster on offence but part of that may be the Bulls not having a functional offence in general and asking too much of him, but he's great defensively which is rare for such a young big. Develop a bit of a shot (his free throw shooting is good which is promising there) and give him a smaller offensive role (sub-15% usage) and he can be a very good player. Plus I have a lot of belief in the Raptors' development system.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I agree with this completely.. and I could see this happening too. As much as I would like FVV if we end up keeping lowry...... i honestly think we could sign and trade FVV for a SOLID star to pair with giannis... also again if we have both on the roster... would one or the other (lowry and fred) feel comfortable coming off the bench... because for the sake of size.... one of them honestly should be.. it also works out better for playoffs so you shouldn't have to play them both 43 minutes per game...

AGAIN i am highly in favor and I see a potential victor oladipo trade for norm POTENTIALLY.
                Hmm, doing a sign and trade for a second star using Fred as your trade chip is tricky. If Fred is at 20M or so, can't absorb more than 25M for him, UFA stars will be above 30M that summer. Then there's the BYC complications the other team would likely have trying to sign and trade an RFA star. Throw in that we would then be hardcapped just in time to have to give raises to OG and TD... Not sure that's a viable path.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

WCJ is awesome. One of the few bright lights on that Bulls team, really like his upside, and with a 7M deal in 2021 that's a pretty cheap quality piece to fill the gap at the 5. He's a disaster on offence but part of that may be the Bulls not having a functional offence in general and asking too much of him, but he's great defensively which is rare for such a young big. Develop a bit of a shot (his free throw shooting is good which is promising there) and give him a smaller offensive role (sub-15% usage) and he can be a very good player. Plus I have a lot of belief in the Raptors' development system.
                  He's actually got a really solid passing game from the eye test, just doesn't have a polished enough offensive game to use it yet. He does have a smooth athleticism to him, if he can develop a bit of a handle, a few post moves, and a jumper like you said, he can be a Swiss army knife on offence and a defensive anchor on the other end.

Comment

• In case anyone is wondering what I was on about re: base year compensation, I just had a whole thread on the ol' twitter where I worked through it, pasted here:

Ugh, trying to dream up sign and trade scenarios for Fred if he gets priced out of the Raptors’ range but that BYC status is killing me.

Base year compensation means in a sign and trade where the player gets a big raise, the receiving team needs to match up to the new salary, but the sending team only gets to use 50% of that salary (or their previous salary, whichever is bigger) for matching from their end.

For example. With Donovan in the fold, Bulls want to win now. Say Fred’s market is 25M, Raps can’t afford him, so want to trade him to the Bulls, who are above the cap and can’t sign him outright. Fred goes home, leads team, gets paid, good story all around.

But Fred’s 25M is a big raise on his 10M current salary. So the Bulls need to match that 25M in a trade, but the Raps can only use 12.5M to match salaries on their end (also being a capped team).

So, the Bulls have to send out 20M to absorb Fred’s salary. While the Raptors can only absorb 17.5M in salary. Need to add extra pieces to the deal.

If you add 10M going to the Bulls (say Powell), then they need to send out 28M to match. The Raptors can absorb 28M. Just fits.

Which means you have to absolutely nail the right salary coming back. To buy any wiggle room, you need to send out even MORE salary.

For example, add McCaw (4M) and the numbers become 31M the Bulls have to send and 33M the Raptors can absorb. Easier to fit in that window.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I read he could be on the block actually, Bulls have new management from the guys that drafted him, and they have the 4th overall pick which could possibly be used on James Wiseman. Either way, maybe Charlotte takes Wiseman, and PJ Washington becomes available, although that's pretty unlikely
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I read he could be on the block actually, Bulls have new management from the guys that drafted him, and they have the 4th overall pick which could possibly be used on James Wiseman. Either way, maybe Charlotte takes Wiseman, and PJ Washington becomes available, although that's pretty unlikely
                        Don't get my hopes up.

Comment

Fred and Norm for Porter and WCJ. Sign me up.
                          I think that's a decent trade. I feel Fred + Norm have a bit more aggregate talent than the Jr's but Porter and Carter have expiring deals which make their contracts more valuable for a team looking to open up the books like us, and WCJ albeit very raw offensively, is only 21. It would also balance the rosters on both teams: Bulls need shoring up on the backcourt, while we have a bit of a surplus of guards and need depth on the frontcourt, especially if one of Marc or Serge will go.

It's one of those trades that could give pause to both teams (with maybe a pick being asked on either direction), which is usually a sign of a good trade.

Comment

• And the long slow bar b que of the clippers begins.
                            First order of business is to establish blame and the early candidate to wear the goat horns is one Paul George.
                            You have to chuckle to think that Patrick Beverly and Montrez Harell think they are in the same snack bracket as Paul George.
                            Clocks already on in LA.
                            Can you imagine the meltdown if the Lakers don't get by the Clips.

​First Things First (@FTFonFS1) tweeted at 1:04 PM on Tue, Sep 22, 2020:
                            "I've been told some of the Clippers role players actually think they're as good as Paul George. They're having problems w/ the special treatment he's gotten from Doc Rivers. They can handle Kawhi getting special treatment bc for the most part he delivered." — @Chris_Broussard https://t.co/bGY7d3B8D4
                            (​​https://twitter.com/FTFonFS1/status/1308452085193560064?s=03)

Get the official Twitter app at https://twitter.com/download?s=13
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Wed Sep 23, 2020, 06:46 PM.
                            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                              And the long slow bar b que of the clippers begins.
                              First order of business is to establish blame and the early candidate to wear the goat horns is one Paul George.
                              You have to chuckle to think that Patrick Beverly and Montrez Harell think they are in the same snack bracket as Paul George.
                              Clocks already on in LA.
                              Can you imagine the meltdown if the Lakers don't get by the Clips.

​First Things First (@FTFonFS1) tweeted at 1:04 PM on Tue, Sep 22, 2020:
                              "I've been told some of the Clippers role players actually think they're as good as Paul George. They're having problems w/ the special treatment he's gotten from Doc Rivers. They can handle Kawhi getting special treatment bc for the most part he delivered." — @Chris_Broussard https://t.co/bGY7d3B8D4
                              (​​https://twitter.com/FTFonFS1/status/1308452085193560064?s=03)

Get the official Twitter app at https://twitter.com/download?s=13
                              There is two options, either blow up the entire team and rebuild with doc,lenard and george (as they traded everything for those two players), or trade george to recoup some assets.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

I think that's a decent trade. I feel Fred + Norm have a bit more aggregate talent than the Jr's but Porter and Carter have expiring deals which make their contracts more valuable for a team looking to open up the books like us, and WCJ albeit very raw offensively, is only 21. It would also balance the rosters on both teams: Bulls need shoring up on the backcourt, while we have a bit of a surplus of guards and need depth on the frontcourt, especially if one of Marc or Serge will go.

It's one of those trades that could give pause to both teams (with maybe a pick being asked on either direction), which is usually a sign of a good trade.
                                WCJ has another team option year (4th year of rookie deal) left for the 2021-22 season. Not expiring. But I have heard the same thing as Keon, that he might be on the outs in CHI. Seems silly of them but NBA teams are silly all the time.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X