No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oladipo is definitely a guy you take a risk for and go after. The ceiling of an Oladipo/Siakam duo with Kyle still around is really enticing. Both defensive studs with shot creation abilities and long distance shooting. And don't forget, if these two work together, they are the perfect fit, and I mean perfect, for Giannis should he leave Milwaukee. Seems like a pipe dream but who knows, Masai has pulled off better. If he can get Turner as well? Forget the statue outside the ACC, literally give him the key to the country.

Comment

• i can't believe how many people around here are on board with going after oladipo. call me a pessimist but i see three possible outcomes in a trade such as that proposed by dan h up-thread:

1 (best case scenario) - he fucking sucks as bad as he did last season and we let him walk next summer and use the cap-space on somebody good

2 (unlikely, bad case scenario) - he returns to the form of the single really good pro season he's ever played in 2017-2018, and we earn the right to sign him to a max deal in the high 30's to low 40's next summer.

3 (worst case, most likely scenario) - he has somewhat of a bounce back season to the middling player he was tthe year before last (and the first four years of his career), and we sign him to an extremely bad tobias harris type contract in a super competitive summer of 2021 market.

what am i missing? why shell out for a player with a devastating injury history that has already peaked?

i've been on this all season, and it's extremely unsexy, but unless we're signing giannis or kawhi next summer i'd far rather re-sign our players to fair market deals, remain competitive, and retain the flexibility afforded a winning/well-respected franchise with good players on tradeable deals, than splurge on the consolation prizes next summer while punting on future opportunities.

Comment

• Oladipo had one good season. I wouldn't touch that with ten foot pole
        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Mark Cuban is the man. If we could somehow get him to buy the Raps - him, Masai and Nurse would be the ultimate 3-headed management monster.
          Mark Cuban reconnected with Delonte West at a Texas gas station Monday, and his family is hoping he will go to rehab.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            Oladipo had one good season. I wouldn't touch that with ten foot pole
            Depends what we would give up for him, but he took the time to get his body right it seems, so never know ... if his value is tanked enough, I'd give him try.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
              Oladipo had one good season. I wouldn't touch that with ten foot pole
              His avg 17.5pts 5 reb 4 ast..5th Year was his best year and was his best year and following year he got hurt..it's been a year since got injured and by the time he starts again it will be 2 years,which is perfect for healing,plus he will be motivated..free agent..28 year old,prime..
              If you remember Kyle Lowry was similar like Oladipo..26/27 when he came from Houston,he was out shape,injured,wasnt happy,needed a change..kind of like Oladipo..fresh start with new team..and look at Lowry,gotten better..Hall a Famer. Oladipo is Late Bloomer, his 6'4/close to 6'5,sg,plays great D,talented..scary dude,so quick.I like him,like his game.
              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

But isn’t Indiana one of the cheaper teams? Why would they want to throw money at FVV, who is a lesser version of Brogdon?
                That's the point, they threw the money at Brogdon. And I think they are already regretting giving Turner his money, and will balk at paying Oladipo the max with his injury history. So they may be looking at a more cost controlled option - they don't take on much long term salary giving Fred the bag with term while offloading Turner, and can make a decision on Powell (who is sure to be far cheaper than Oladipo) next offseason.

But it is very possible they aren't interested. Sign and trades are rare, need three parties to want it to happen.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  Why in the world would FVV want to play in Indiana on a team that is stuck in the middle of the conference?
                  I presume, for money. And players tend to think they are pretty good, so he might not think Indy is stuck in the middle of the conference when he signs there. It's not like he'd be convincing himself he could lift a lotto team like NY into contention.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah, this was a surprise to me, I couldn't open it, but did it say why he wants out? I'm guessibng they weren't willing to offer a max contract which I assumed they would being a small market. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't is due to his health and that is concerning since they see him all the time and have access to all the medical examinations. Maybe his health is worse than he is letting on?

OR maybe he's completely healthy and wants out for his own reasons...like teaming up with Masai in Toronto.

Question I have is, how much better is a healthy Dipo than say DeMar. I'm going to say his offence is not quite as good, but much better defence.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post
                      i can't believe how many people around here are on board with going after oladipo. call me a pessimist but i see three possible outcomes in a trade such as that proposed by dan h up-thread:

1 (best case scenario) - he fucking sucks as bad as he did last season and we let him walk next summer and use the cap-space on somebody good

2 (unlikely, bad case scenario) - he returns to the form of the single really good pro season he's ever played in 2017-2018, and we earn the right to sign him to a max deal in the high 30's to low 40's next summer.

3 (worst case, most likely scenario) - he has somewhat of a bounce back season to the middling player he was tthe year before last (and the first four years of his career), and we sign him to an extremely bad tobias harris type contract in a super competitive summer of 2021 market.

what am i missing? why shell out for a player with a devastating injury history that has already peaked?

i've been on this all season, and it's extremely unsexy, but unless we're signing giannis or kawhi next summer i'd far rather re-sign our players to fair market deals, remain competitive, and retain the flexibility afforded a winning/well-respected franchise with good players on tradeable deals, than splurge on the consolation prizes next summer while punting on future opportunities.
                      The other option 4 is at the end of your post. We basically run it back and "competitive" is 4-6th in the division with Kyle, Serge and/or Gasol as declining assets. Another 2nd round exit. No major FA comes here....only fans happy just to have an NBA team here ....are happy.

The Raptors played above their heads this season. Expecting or counting on it again doesn't make sense; you need an upgrade to the starting unit to have a better shot at Giannis next season.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Yeah, this was a surprise to me, I couldn't open it, but did it say why he wants out? I'm guessibng they weren't willing to offer a max contract which I assumed they would being a small market. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't is due to his health and that is concerning since they see him all the time and have access to all the medical examinations. Maybe his health is worse than he is letting on?

OR maybe he's completely healthy and wants out for his own reasons...like teaming up with Masai in Toronto.

Question I have is, how much better is a healthy Dipo than say DeMar. I'm going to say his offence is not quite as good, but much better defence.
                        Derozan is a better scorer, but Dipo can shoot the 3 and of course is miles better on defense.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

He was traded to Indiana.. and now he's a free agent. People leave for a variety of reasons. I just don't think he's happy in Indiana anymore and wants out. He's still an American born player but with African roots. Not sure if he wants to team up with Masai. Raptor fans are just speculating and hoping maybe.

There is a huge risk for Oladipo.

He had an outstanding 2018 season. He was drafted 2nd overall in 2013 so has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. But every other season was pretty underwhelming. He didn't do anything of significance in Orlando. Was traded for Serge Ibaka to OKC. And Serge wasn't ever a star either (I mean he was eventually traded for Terrence Ross). In OKC he seemed like a bystander to Russ. Just sort of let Russ do his thing.

He was then one of the pieces in the Paul George trade (along with Sabonis and an expiring contract). Once he got to Indiana he got a new workout coach, and transformed his body. Became the alpha in Indiana, and almost upset the Cavs by taking them to 7 games in the first round.

That season looked like Dipo was becoming the next big star. He got hurt in 2019. And hurt again. He never really regained his form and was pretty underwhelming in the bubble.

So for now Dipo's success is based on that single season in 2018, before he got hurt. There is a huge risk with him. If he ever regains that form then that player was definitely better than DeRozan. If not, then I'd take DeRozan.

The reason I like a potential Dipo trade is because his contract expires in 2021. If he's underwhelming next season you just let him walk. If he turns the corner again, then you might want to keep him. 2018 Oladipo is a max worthy player.

Here is a scenario that could potentially derail the Raptors though:

- We trade for him
                          - He has an outstanding 2020-2021 contract year
                          - We resign him for max
                          - He flounders again, and/or gets hurt again.
                          - We're stuck with a max contract/stiff for the next 4-5 years.

Comment

• I think the Pacers would love a Fred S&T for Dipo, maybe Fred/Powell for Dipo/Turner if Turner also wants out. Dipo's peak was higher than what Fred's done but Fred was clearly the better player last season. If you have 1-2 guys who want out and you can flip them for players who are at least as good but locked up? You do that 10 times out of 10, teams are often losing talent once a final contract year guy wants to bail on your team.

It's a gamble for Toronto for sure and something like that may not pan out, but I'm for these types of moves. This is one of the ways to upgrade your roster via trade rather than make lateral moves. You've either got to pay through the nose to get the better player or you can take on some risk and not lose all your assets.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the ideal would be Raptors get Dipo & Turner for their final years this season, can still sign a FA summer 2021, then re-sign Dipo and Turn to go over the cap? Because Dipo & Turner are ideal complimentary players, clear strengths that would fit alongside a more ball dominant star. Dipo & Siakam would be elite 1B guys in that scenario. This team would continue to be a defensive nightmare - in your dream scenario of landing Giannis you'd have a ceiling of best defensive team in years, actually.

I think that kind of potential is worth the risk.

"We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Turner's contract runs until 2023. He's making about $18M a year. We bring in Myles and Victor, and if we resign Victor in 2021. our cap situation doesn't look so good for 2021.

Siakam - $32M
                              Turner - $18M
                              Thomas - $1.8M
                              Hernandez - $1.8M
                              Dipo - $31.5M (cap hold)
                              OG - $11.6M (cap hold)
                              Davis - $2M (cap hold)
                              2020 Draft pick - $2M
                              2021 Draft pick - $2M
                              Empty roster spots - $4M

$104M in salary/cap holds. With a $109M cap, that's only $5M left. So no Giannis.

We can get Kyle back and bring in some other guys back like Boucher, and we'll have the mid-level contract too (about $9M). But no Giannis.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Turner's contract runs until 2023. He's making about $18M a year. We bring in Myles and Victor, and if we resign Victor in 2021. our cap situation doesn't look so good for 2021.

Siakam - $32M
                                Turner - $18M
                                Thomas - $1.8M
                                Hernandez - $1.8M
                                Dipo - $31.5M (cap hold)
                                OG - $11.6M (cap hold)
                                Davis - $2M (cap hold)
                                2020 Draft pick - $2M
                                2021 Draft pick - $2M
                                Empty roster spots - $4M

$104M in salary/cap holds. With a $109M cap, that's only $5M left. So no Giannis.

We can get Kyle back and bring in some other guys back like Boucher, and we'll have the mid-level contract too (about $9M). But no Giannis.

Tough. You got to hope your Siakam/Dipo/OG/Turner/Davis core has elite potential. Maybe, but it's a long-ish shot. They'd be very good.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X