No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure where you guys are getting the idea that Oladipo is a bum. If it's injury concerns, that's valid, but at his best he played like a top 15 player plain and simple.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
      I'm not sure where you guys are getting the idea that Oladipo is a bum. If it's injury concerns, that's valid, but at his best he played like a top 15 player plain and simple.
      i don't think he's a bum. i just think he played like a top 15 player exactly once and a top 40, borderline all star in the followup season before he got hurt. and was a good young player in his prior seasons.

i think he expects a max near max contract and the chances of him coming anywhere close to living up to that are zilch. i have massive concerns about the injury history you noted and the fact that he was absolutely brutal trying to come back from it over a year later. i also have concerns that the team that knows the most about him don't think he's worth malcolm brogdon, or fred vanvleet, money.

i just think vanvleet and powell for what we'd get them provide a lot more value and will be tradeable contracts, if not huge assets. i think oladipo will be a negative asset the day he signs his deal, if he gets what he thinks he's worth.

i'm also a guy who would want no part of lillards contract, which doesn't kick in until after next season, so YMMV. i sure as shit wouldn't want to pay him 44 to 54 M per year in his age 31 through 35 seasons, even though he's amazing (and one dimensional).

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
        I'm not sure where you guys are getting the idea that Oladipo is a bum. If it's injury concerns, that's valid, but at his best he played like a top 15 player plain and simple.
        First thing to look at is USG and ORTG. Oladipo had only 1 season where he barely got to 110 ORTG at over 25% USG. Otherwise his stats are pretty scrub like. Since then, he’s had 2 devastating injuries, which look like they have changed his career arc forever to “what might have been”. Dipo had no room for error.... he’s not a lights out shooter or possesses elite BBIQ.

Losing his explosiveness basically ended any chance for him to be an elite player. Pretty much every advanced stat looks crappy except for that one year.

This is nothing like rolling the dice on Durant. It’s like betting on half a season of Bargnani. Even if he recovers, that 1 great season could still be a fluke. He’s just a SG, not an 2-way elite big wing or unicorn big. Not worth the risk, IMO.

Comment

• I'm not sold on the hypothetical Oladpio sign and trade but I would say the following:

--If Giannis resigns in Milwaukee on day 1 of free agency it makes a lot more sense to explore it.
          --If the plan is to let FVV walk for nothing because we are not comfortable with his price tag OR we want to have money left to offer Lowry in 12 months, then including him in a sign in trade is not that much of a risk. You have 12 months to evaluate Victor's health/play before offering him a new contract. There is upside there, former All-Defense first team, former all star. Definitely a buy low piece, and there is only 1 year left on his deal so not much of a commitment if the alternative is letting FVV walk for nothing.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I don't believe that. Too many fans are happy to have finally won something and are clearly fine with just making the playoffs and hoping again. They may not be actively thinking it or believing it themselves, but their words and actions speak loudly here.

But the reality is that running basically the same team back again next year will very likely result in the same 1st or second round exit. Bucks will be strong again and the Celtics will be a better team with all that young talent one year older and this playoff experience behind them. Miami will move up in the standings. Nets are a dark horse. Lakers, Clippers, Nuggets will all be strong again next year.

I don't want to fall back to just middling competitive, if that; I don't think that brings Giannis here and I think the road to another chip runs through him or similar.
            Again--there are no free agents this year and we literally just won a championship last year And had the 2nd best record this year. If we don't run the same team back there aren't obvious free agents out there to improve the team. Do you have specific ideas of what the raptors should do this offseason involving players that are available?
            Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Wed Sep 30, 2020, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

This is the definition of a strawman argument, at least in this forum.
              Just because you can't see it ....

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Next season will likely be a run it back season just because there doesn't seem to be any high level star player on the trade block or in the free agent market. Re-tooling takes a few seasons sometimes. Being desperate and rushing into being a contender will just make you end up with overpaid/washed players like the Nets were with KG, Pierce, Williams, Lopez and Joe Johnson.

2021 free agency is the big one and I think this team will look different by the beginning of the 21-22 season with or without Giannis.
                I get that.
                Just not happy with what I see as a step back next season and a likely early-ish post season washout again and what that means to our chances of landing a significant FA with perhaps Giannis being the only chance of significance. I don't want to settle and 50 wins and done any more. It's OK if some others don't get that vibe

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I get that.
                  Just not happy with what I see as a step back next season and a likely early-ish post season washout again and what that means to our chances of landing a significant FA with perhaps Giannis being the only chance of significance. I don't want to settle and 50 wins and done any more. It's OK if some others don't get that vibe
                  Well unless you have a plan on how to make a big move this summer, seems kind of like wanting change for the sake of change. Which is a real bad approach.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    Well unless you have a plan on how to make a big move this summer, seems kind of like wanting change for the sake of change. Which is a real bad approach.
                    I'm old enough to remember when fans - including on this forum - were getting frustrated with Masai for keeping DeMar/Lowry/Casey together for too long, they were starting to call Ujiri gun shy and were also self-anointed as the only real fans who actually wanted a championship. Then, starting 2 years ago, Masai traded a solid third of the roster and built a championship team in a few months with moves that absolutely zero people had predicted 6-12 months in advance. But here we are again - the real fans want a chip and the rest of us don't understand! Menial questions such as "How?" are for the the feeble minded and underachieving peons of Jurassic Park. Those select few who burn with desire for more hardware will manifest another Toronto championship born purely of their own will, bother them not with your questions of "How?" The rest of us muddle along mired in logistics and details and spitballing scenarios too low for those above us to be concerned with, but even we the lowly and unaspiring will appreciate the next chip when it happens, so thanks in advance to the few fans who want to win! Couldn't do it without you.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I'm old enough to remember when fans - including on this forum - were getting frustrated with Masai for keeping DeMar/Lowry/Casey together for too long, they were starting to call Ujiri gun shy and were also self-anointed as the only real fans who actually wanted a championship. Then, starting 2 years ago, Masai traded a solid third of the roster and built a championship team in a few months with moves that absolutely zero people had predicted 6-12 months in advance. But here we are again - the real fans want a chip and the rest of us don't understand! Menial questions such as "How?" are for the the feeble minded and underachieving peons of Jurassic Park. Those select few who burn with desire for more hardware will manifest another Toronto championship born purely of their own will, bother them not with your questions of "How?" The rest of us muddle along mired in logistics and details and spitballing scenarios too low for those above us to be concerned with, but even we the lowly and unaspiring will appreciate the next chip when it happens, so thanks in advance to the few fans who want to win! Couldn't do it without you.
                      Heck, I was among the fans who said we needed to move on from DeMar. But that was after years of that core getting chance after chance in the playoffs.

And yeah, no one is saying the Raptors should just refuse to jump on a trade for a superstar if one is available this off-season. We are just saying that there might not be one (read: probably won't be one) and in that case keeping your talent (so that when a star does become available you have a chance to acquire them) is better than just getting rid of guys for the heck of it.

This team doesn't even qualify for treadmill status! We placed 2nd in the East and were inches from the ECF even with our top offensive option completely missing in the very strange bubble environment. This isn't DeMar and co getting swept two years in a row.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

BAHAHAHAHA!

Awesome S.R., this post made my day!

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Heck, I was among the fans who said we needed to move on from DeMar. But that was after years of that core getting chance after chance in the playoffs.

And yeah, no one is saying the Raptors should just refuse to jump on a trade for a superstar if one is available this off-season. We are just saying that there might not be one (read: probably won't be one) and in that case keeping your talent (so that when a star does become available you have a chance to acquire them) is better than just getting rid of guys for the heck of it.

This team doesn't even qualify for treadmill status! We placed 2nd in the East and were inches from the ECF even with our top offensive option completely missing in the very strange bubble environment. This isn't DeMar and co getting swept two years in a row.
                          We were 2nd in the entire league actually

Comment

• At some point you have to move on from players you love. Sentimentality leads to mediocre teams, ie. holding onto Kobe vs. Celtics moving Pierce, Garnett.

Masai got raked over the coals for moving DeMar and firing Casey, but they were the right moves to win later on. Shrewd deals will have to be made to keep this team relevant. I think Masai will have to make some tough decisions this year.

Comment

• There's a report that Gasol is going to Barcelona? If true then good luck to him, obviously sad to see another key piece of the championship team to go but he's on his last legs.

Give Serge a fat 1 year contract if he'll take it
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Everyone thinks Freddy is coming back..I wish that was true,listen if someone is giving u max contract over 25 million for 5 years..instead of 4 years under 20 million per year..what would u do..so if it comes 2 Freddy wants max..sign and trade to Indiana,makes sense for Oladipo..if it's Other teams knicks,pistons..it would be better 2 just let him go and save that cap for next year..
                                "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                                My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Working...
                                X