• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would Olnyk take a one year deal?

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
      Why would Olnyk take a one year deal?
      If the market for a long term deals is soft this year, he might be better off getting a 1-yr deal at higher AAV and then going back into the FA market in 2021 when more teams have cap space. It’s up to his agent to gauge the supply/demand for 2020 vs 2021.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

If the market for a long term deals is soft this year, he might be better off getting a 1-yr deal at higher AAV and then going back into the FA market in 2021 when more teams have cap space. It’s up to his agent to gauge the supply/demand for 2020 vs 2021.
        Fair enough but if he gets a multi year offer hes gonna take it Im guessing

Comment

Olynyk is more fun than frustrating in the playoffs, at least that’s the impression I get from afar. Numbers seem to back it up too. He shows up.
          I would certainly be happy if Masai brought him in. But he's a bench guy, plain and simple.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

I would certainly be happy if Masai brought him in. But he's a bench guy, plain and simple.
            "Just a bench guy" would be a huge improvement, because Nurse doesn't trust his bench guys. He also likes big men who can shoot the 3 and move the ball smartly on offense... that's Olynyk. Biggest issue is defense and rebounding, of course, but surprisingly Olynyk holds his own when it comes to defensive impact stats. I mean, if Gasol leaves, we're going to need a backup C anyway. If Serge leaves, we need a starter.

Comment

"Just a bench guy" would be a huge improvement, because Nurse doesn't trust his bench guys. He also likes big men who can shoot the 3 and move the ball smartly on offense... that's Olynyk. Biggest issue is defense and rebounding, of course, but surprisingly Olynyk holds his own when it comes to defensive impact stats. I mean, if Gasol leaves, we're going to need a backup C anyway. If Serge leaves, we need a starter.
              Unless Serge gets an absurd offer elsewhere, he'll be back. Like I said, though, I'd love to see Olynyk come in. He's the kind of scrappy spark plug that we need.

Comment

Gasol gone and Serge, Olynyk and Boucher @ C? I'd give it a roll and see how that goes.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Gasol gone and Serge, Olynyk and Boucher @ C? I'd give it a roll and see how that goes.
                  That would be nice but I don't see them being able to pay these 3. I feel we'll probably retain Serge and have a cheap back up C (either the draftee or Hernandez). As long as we don't get the expensive, no-defence and no-outside-shooting Harrell, I'm cool with whatever shakes up at the C position. Just need someone that can help spread the floor, rebound and roll/pop to the basket from time to time to keep the defences honest and we'll be okay.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

That would be nice but I don't see them being able to pay these 3. I feel we'll probably retain Serge and have a cheap back up C (either the draftee or Hernandez). As long as we don't get the expensive, no-defence and no-outside-shooting Harrell, I'm cool with whatever shakes up at the C position. Just need someone that can help spread the floor, rebound and roll/pop to the basket from time to time to keep the defences honest and we'll be okay.
                    Im probably the minority here but I think Harrell would bake a good pickup. Dont think he’ll be as expensive as you think, and I think hes a really good roll man for Lowry/Fred. Very skilled and forcefull north south. His instincts around the basket and finding pockets for dumpoffs are nice. Defensively he generally has to rely on his length and athleticism to make up for a mix of poor technique, slowish on reads and slow feet laterally. That being said, hes a solid weak side blocker. You know hes a bit of a one way player but he can probably become an average defender with some more effort. We needed a threat around the basket more than from 3 imo. Harrells quite a bit craftier and skilled than Ibaka so I thinks hed really open up the perimeter for guards cause defenses can be punshed for playing high screens aggressively.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Im probably the minority here but I think Harrell would bake a good pickup. Dont think he’ll be as expensive as you think, and I think hes a really good roll man for Lowry/Fred. Very skilled and forcefull north south. His instincts around the basket and finding pockets for dumpoffs are nice. Defensively he generally has to rely on his length and athleticism to make up for a mix of poor technique, slowish on reads and slow feet laterally. That being said, hes a solid weak side blocker. You know hes a bit of a one way player but he can probably become an average defender with some more effort. We needed a threat around the basket more than from 3 imo. Harrells quite a bit craftier and skilled than Ibaka so I thinks hed really open up the perimeter for guards cause defenses can be punshed for playing high screens aggressively.
                      I wouldn't mind Harrell either, but at the right price. He's still pretty young and has been steadily improving every season, and just won a 6th man of the year award. Nobody is going to replace Marc's defence, but Harrell will provide a new look on the other end with his ability to run the floor and crash to boards.

Mostly banking on his continued improvement and potential for an inexpensive replacement at C.

Comment

• I wouldn't want both Serge and Harrell on the team. But if I had to chose, I'd rather have Serge. We don't make use of the PnR a lot. We like having our centers spread the floor. Even Boucher who is a sub 30% shooter was jacking them up.

Harrell doesn't fit the type of system Nurse likes to employ. I like that he plays hard and has an edge. But if you can't space the floor that's a no for me.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I wouldn't want both Serge and Harrell on the team. But if I had to chose, I'd rather have Serge. We don't make use of the PnR a lot. We like having our centers spread the floor. Even Boucher who is a sub 30% shooter was jacking them up.

Harrell doesn't fit the type of system Nurse likes to employ. I like that he plays hard and has an edge. But if you can't space the floor that's a no for me.
                          If you had to chose between giving a long term contract to Serge or Harrell, who would you give it to? And do you think Serge can handle starters minutes going into his 12th season?

I agree Harrell doesn't seem like a Nurse type player and if the Raptors have a real shot at Giannis, then Harrell and Giannis on the court at the same time could be ugly. On the other hand if Siakam and Harrell are the front court of the future for this team then it may mesh a bit better with Siakam more of a willing and capable perimeter shooter.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

If you had to chose between giving a long term contract to Serge or Harrell, who would you give it to? And do you think Serge can handle starters minutes going into his 12th season?

I agree Harrell doesn't seem like a Nurse type player and if the Raptors have a real shot at Giannis, then Harrell and Giannis on the court at the same time could be ugly. On the other hand if Siakam and Harrell are the front court of the future for this team then it may mesh a bit better with Siakam more of a willing and capable perimeter shooter.
                            Is Harrell a guy who will make personal sacrifices for the good of the team? Will he accept a smaller or limited role and defer his production to others? Will he wear himself out doing the dirty work so that others don't have to even if that means no awards and accolades? Cause those are the kinds of guys you need surrounding a Giannis. Like an Ibaka.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              Is Harrell a guy who will make personal sacrifices for the good of the team? Will he accept a smaller or limited role and defer his production to others? Will he wear himself out doing the dirty work so that others don't have to even if that means no awards and accolades? Cause those are the kinds of guys you need surrounding a Giannis. Like an Ibaka.
                              If they're serious about holding a window open for Giannis, the Harrell really doesn't make much sense at all. Ibaka's a much better fit.

Also - am I the only one not that worried about the centre position? We've been spoiled with 2 starting calibre C's on the roster for several seasons in a row now, we really don't need to replace that level of talent at that position in the lineup. Who are we worried about at the 5 - Embiid, AD, Jokic? Like 3 guys who are offensive threats from that position?

For sure you want a guy who can defend in those match ups and not ruin your offence, but that can definitely be more of a depth/situational player. That's what most of this year's contenders have at the position.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I don't know the guy, and I'm not advocating but to answer your questions with the information available..

Is Harrell a guy who will make personal sacrifices for the good of the team? - He's coming off the bench for Clippers and I don't believe he complains about it. Seems to be relishing it and thriving in the role.

Will he accept a smaller or limited role and defer his production to others? - If he's coming to the Raptors then one or both of Gasol and Ibaka are gone. He would be starting in place of Marc or replacing Serge as the back up C. I don't see minutes wise a smaller or limited role. Production wise I suppose if he is starting he doesn't get the shots he is accustomed to, but might be happy with an opportunity to start.

Will he wear himself out doing the dirty work so that others don't have to even if that means no awards and accolades? - Seems like a dirty work type of guy. Doubt he will demand to be the guy to take the last shot with the game in balance.

Cause those are the kinds of guys you need surrounding a Giannis. Like an Ibaka. - Yes, Ibaka provides all this now, but I wonder what sort of $$ he will accept as well as length of contract. Will he take a big cut from his annual $21M? Harrell is making $6M anuualy. Again, Ibaka is 31 and Harrell is 26. Not sure what Masai is thinking.

Comment

Working...
                                X