No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In hindsight, the Rockets have been trying to ride a gimmick to a championship the entire Morey era and haven't gotten further than the 3rd round. They've been very good but on the other hand, this has been a stoppable approach they've taken. They run into a wall year after year in the playoffs. Time to do something different.

Morey doesn't leave the roster, cap sheet, or pick/prospect cupboard in great shape though. Will be a multi-season pivot to something new.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I don't have any kind of read on Ty Lue, but Billups is the right kind of guy to try to deal with their locker room issues. If you want the Clippers to win. Which I don't. Fuck them.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

BS apparently, he never had Raptors content in his bio and hasn't actually changed his bio. I don't know either, just saw that response.
        Serge's agent probably put that out there

Comment

I don't have any kind of read on Ty Lue, but Billups is the right kind of guy to try to deal with their locker room issues. If you want the Clippers to win. Which I don't. Fuck them.
          This is a guy who took stress leave in Cleveland
          There'll be no pressure in Clipper-land to make the finals will there? But no lebron so that's a plus for his blood pressure

Comment

In hindsight, the Rockets have been trying to ride a gimmick to a championship the entire Morey era and haven't gotten further than the 3rd round. They've been very good but on the other hand, this has been a stoppable approach they've taken. They run into a wall year after year in the playoffs. Time to do something different.

Morey doesn't leave the roster, cap sheet, or pick/prospect cupboard in great shape though. Will be a multi-season pivot to something new.
            Well, they ran into one of the greatest teams of all time as their wall and were the only team during GSW's dominance that really pushed them (outside of the Cavs one season). Morey has had them in hte playoffs 8 straight times (longest in the NBA) and they had the second or third best regular season record in his time there. Not many teams had a better decade than the Rockets.

As for them trying something new, we will see. There are lots of rumors ownership there is in bad financial shape, so it may be more about getting to the salary floor and cost cutting than winning.

Comment

• not sure if morey is that great or he just happened to have one of the best scorers of the generation and was ballsy enough to swing for the fences. Which i guess in itsself is a pro as many GMs wont take that risk.
              In the End dont think that houston ever had a championship roster. Even if the beat GS when Paul got injured im not sure they beat lebron in the finals.
              It was a good run but i dont know how much of that success is cause of Harden/Dantoni or Morey
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Well, they ran into one of the greatest teams of all time as their wall and were the only team during GSW's dominance that really pushed them (outside of the Cavs one season). Morey has had them in hte playoffs 8 straight times (longest in the NBA) and they had the second or third best regular season record in his time there. Not many teams had a better decade than the Rockets.

As for them trying something new, we will see. There are lots of rumors ownership there is in bad financial shape, so it may be more about getting to the salary floor and cost cutting than winning.
                There are lots of teams who make the conference finals and lose. It’s called treadmill. Morey is competent, but he isn’t anything special.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

There are lots of teams who make the conference finals and lose. It’s called treadmill. Morey is competent, but he isn’t anything special.
                  Making the conference finals is a very generous definition of treadmill. Whatever happened to the classic 7-11 definition? Or more generically, having no chance at a chip or a top pick - and if you are one of the final 4, it's hard to say you have no chance.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                    not sure if morey is that great or he just happened to have one of the best scorers of the generation and was ballsy enough to swing for the fences. Which i guess in itsself is a pro as many GMs wont take that risk.
                    In the End dont think that houston ever had a championship roster. Even if the beat GS when Paul got injured im not sure they beat lebron in the finals.
                    It was a good run but i dont know how much of that success is cause of Harden/Dantoni or Morey
                    Morey is a very good GM but the last couple years really went in a Bryan Colangelo direction. I'm not sure if he was feeling the heat, ownership was getting involved, he was just doing whatever was available for him to do to try to get over the hump, or even good execs make bad decisions sometimes, I guess. Giving up on CP3 and bringing in Russ made no sense whatsoever.

I did admire Morey and D'Antoni for going all in on analytics and a strategy that they thought might work. They were willing to take risks to do new & unproven things that might get them out ahead of the pack. So good for them.

To me it just comes back to the whole oversimplification of analytics (and catering to the 1 or 2 key strengths of a guy like Harden, to a fault). Your system is oversimplified, can be game planned, and you don't have the bag of tricks needed to make counter-adjustments in playoff series. Also, defences have caught up to "3's and layups and free throws" analytics-inspired offences. Defences now defend the 3 pt line better than ever and a lot of them pack the paint and take away drives. How will your offence respond? Enter the brilliance of a guy like Kawhi, he'll take 16 footers, which your defence is giving him because "that's a bad shot," but he shoots it with high enough efficiency that it's a good shot. Now you have to eat that all game or your defence has to shift to defend it. Now you're leaving something open again - 3's or the paint.

Houston never had that type of counter. Too much of a one trick pony. Pile up a good number of wins and insane stat lines for Harden all regular season, but run into a very good team in the 2nd or 3rd round and you just can't make it past there.

Comment

• The Westbrook trade was on the owner not Morey I believe. He's an analytic guy but his main focus on building a team was to get a top 5 talent on his team at all costs. He ended up getting Paul too which was a great trade at the time. Personalities just clashed between his two stars.

Morey seems like a prick but a good GM. I wouldn't mind him at all as an assistant/consultant for Masai. He's got a lot of good connections around the league too, and may have sway with some agents.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Making the conference finals is a very generous definition of treadmill. Whatever happened to the classic 7-11 definition? Or more generically, having no chance at a chip or a top pick - and if you are one of the final 4, it's hard to say you have no chance.
                        People around here were calling the Lowry-DeRozan Raptors treadmill constantly. I guess it’s a gold plated treadmill?

Comment

• Treadmill to me was always 7-11 area plus no financial flexibility and old core (so no way to improve, not from signings or from organic growth) I don't think Raptors were ever in treadmill. It just became a buzzword
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

People around here were calling the Lowry-DeRozan Raptors treadmill constantly. I guess it’s a gold plated treadmill?
                            People say wrong stuff all the time.

That said, it was becoming apparent that the one ECF trip they made was pretty lucky considering how flatly they fell apart in the 2nd round two straight years. I can see an exceptional argument for that team being considered a treadmill team because of the long running playoff specific failures of their top scorer (and coach). Still, treadmill is a bit off even for that team. More of a really-good-not-great criticism, which I think we should differentiate from the treadmill. Treadmill is meant as a criticism of mediocrity and distance from either end of the spectrum. For all the flaws of that DeRozan team, they were still quite a ways from a .500 team.

For Houston, I don't see how even that exceptional argument that kind of falls short for the DeRozan Raptors can be made for them. They took GSW to the limit more than any other team this side of the championship Raptors.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• So... with not much going on except to go over it all again....
                              Whats the verdict on:

What position we draft for and bonus point for actually hitting the picks name. ?
                              We draft a small forward. His name is Ida Know from some obscure DII school in Amarillo Texas.

Freddy stays ?
                              Yes or No.
                              If Yes .. how much ?
                              In No.. to where?

He stays ! For 4 years and 80 million. The Brogdon Deal.

Serge stays ?
                              Yes or No.
                              If Yes .. how much ?
                              In No.. to where?

He leaves. Its sad but he leaves. He doesn/'t fit the timeline for the next run at the championship. He gets his last big deal to the highest bidder which will be in the Western Conference. Phoenix or Sacramento.

Are the new Jerseys a way to make a buck ?
                              Yes.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Houston took GSW "to the limit" one year - 17/18 was their best crack at it. Outside of that, this 8 year Morey/Harden run includes:
                                • More 1st round exits (3) than 3rd round exits (2)
                                • Bumped by GSW 4 of the 8 postseasons (went 7 games once, 6 games once, 5 games twice)
                                • Got bumped by non-title teams in OKC, Portland, and SAS (6-12 record in those series combined)
                                • Got bumped this year by the championship Lakers in 5 games in the second round
                                They weren't that close other than 17-18. They've had quite a good run and most years have been quite beatable in the playoffs. Chris Paul was the X Factor that helped them avoid being that easily beatable team (his talent, skill set, and IQ rounded them out and made them a better playoff team). Other than that one year with CP3, the Harden Rockets have always been a team you can game plan. They're the western conference Giannis Bucks. Maybe even not quite that good.

Comment

Working...
                                X