Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    Houston took GSW "to the limit" one year - 17/18 was their best crack at it. Outside of that, this 8 year Morey/Harden run includes:
    • More 1st round exits (3) than 3rd round exits (2)
    • Bumped by GSW 4 of the 8 postseasons (went 7 games once, 6 games once, 5 games twice)
    • Got bumped by non-title teams in OKC, Portland, and SAS (6-12 record in those series combined)
    • Got bumped this year by the championship Lakers in 5 games in the second round
    They weren't that close other than 17-18. They've had quite a good run and most years have been quite beatable in the playoffs. Chris Paul was the X Factor that helped them avoid being that easily beatable team (his talent, skill set, and IQ rounded them out and made them a better playoff team). Other than that one year with CP3, the Harden Rockets have always been a team you can game plan. They're the western conference Giannis Bucks. Maybe even not quite that good.
    Totally agree that the Rockets always felt like a gimmick, especially the Dantoni/Harden alliance. Trying to win with foul baiting, 3s and no defense. Always trying to find a cheat code for the system.

I never considered them a serious threat to win a championship at any point during the Morey years. The Warriors motivation trying to get to their 4th straight finals is the main reason they even got close.

Rich man’s treadmill.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      So... with not much going on except to go over it all again....
      Whats the verdict on:

What position we draft for and bonus point for actually hitting the picks name. ?
      We draft a small forward. His name is Ida Know from some obscure DII school in Amarillo Texas.

Freddy stays ?
      Yes or No.
      If Yes .. how much ?
      In No.. to where?

He stays ! For 4 years and 80 million. The Brogdon Deal.

Serge stays ?
      Yes or No.
      If Yes .. how much ?
      In No.. to where?

He leaves. Its sad but he leaves. He doesn/'t fit the timeline for the next run at the championship. He gets his last big deal to the highest bidder which will be in the Western Conference. Phoenix or Sacramento.

Are the new Jerseys a way to make a buck ?
      Yes.
      Here is what I want:

- Give me a guy that has length and can shoot 3's. Ideally a guy that can play the 3, 4 or 5.. over the 1 or 2. Can't pick a name for you.
      - Fred signed and traded for an expiring contract and a prospect. Something like Fred + McCaw for Porter and a future pick. Then try to bring in Dunn to replace McCaw and move Norm to starting SG.
      - Serge back on a 1 year deal. Give him enough to ensure we aren't a tax team.

Here is what I think will happen:

- Front office picks a guy nobody's heard of. Comes to camp and everyone is super excited about him. Doesn't matter what position he plays.
      - Fred comes back on a 4 year deal, no options. AAV of something like $18.5M. He'll get bonuses put in his contract (like becoming an all-star, etc).
      - Serge is picked up for the mid-level by some team out West like LAC or Houston. And is given a 4 year deal. Serge prefers term at this point in his career over salary. Wants to play for Toronto, but Raptors can't give him the term he wants.

Comment

• No new posts in 12 hours...when does the new season start .....

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Here is what I want:

- Give me a guy that has length and can shoot 3's. Ideally a guy that can play the 3, 4 or 5.. over the 1 or 2. Can't pick a name for you.
          - Fred signed and traded for an expiring contract and a prospect. Something like Fred + McCaw for Porter and a future pick. Then try to bring in Dunn to replace McCaw and move Norm to starting SG.
          - Serge back on a 1 year deal. Give him enough to ensure we aren't a tax team.

Here is what I think will happen:

- Front office picks a guy nobody's heard of. Comes to camp and everyone is super excited about him. Doesn't matter what position he plays.
          - Fred comes back on a 4 year deal, no options. AAV of something like $18.5M. He'll get bonuses put in his contract (like becoming an all-star, etc).
          - Serge is picked up for the mid-level by some team out West like LAC or Houston. And is given a 4 year deal. Serge prefers term at this point in his career over salary. Wants to play for Toronto, but Raptors can't give him the term he wants.
          In order.
          Yes... but finding that guy late in the draft is the stuff of legend. Good thing we have a legend in the front office eh ?

Bold Strategy there Cotton .. I like it.
          Which teams are in the market for a young, leadership heavy attributes, able to handle the press and plays well on the floor ?
          My fast assessment says:
          The Knicks ! They aren't getting Ball. They have picks and a lot of ill fitting pieces we might be able to use long or short term.
          The Timberpups ! Yes they have the 1st overall and D'Angelo Russell and its a mean place to drop Freddy but they have picks and lots of ill fitting pieces for them as well.
          The Suns ! Yes they have Devin Booker. But Booker entering his 6th year hasn't played a meaningful game. Freddy fits the floor general role they need. They too have picks and ill fitting pieces.
          The Bulls !. They have Coby White but Freddy can run the show and let White play off ball.

Serge won't take a one year deal. Its a business. 1 Year at 20M$ then off to the market again at 30 or 31 years of age isn't as solid an investment as 4 years at 50m$-ish. If he has a good agent, and I'm sure he does, its thanks for the memories for Serge.

If the market for Serge due to cap considerations turns south and its the MLE .. then by all means he signs back here. I am not holding my breath. Nurse was prescient when he said it was great coaching this group of players. Its over. Time to start again.
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Oct 17, 2020, 11:14 AM.
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Serge won't take a one year deal. Its a business. 1 Year at 20M$ then off to the market again at 30 or 31 years of age isn't as solid an investment as 4 years at 50m$-ish. If he has a good agent, and I'm sure he does, its thanks for the memories for Serge.

If the market for Serge due to cap considerations turns south and its the MLE .. then by all means he signs back here. I am not holding my breath. Nurse was prescient when he said it was great coaching this group of players. Its over. Time to start again.
            [/B]
            If you're Serge and the options are:

A:
            --1yr 25-27M deal
            --Starting Centre role on the team you won a championship with and is capable of going deep in the playoffs again
            --Chance to use that role to showcase your talent on new contract year, that could land you another 4yr 10M/yr with said team, on the city you grow to love, and a locker room full of guys that like you (and vice versa).

B:
            --Average 12.5M/yr (the 50M over 4yrs) on an unknown (and potentially crappy) team/city/locker room.

It may not turn out to be exactly like those 2 choices (they might think 25-27M is too much even on a ballon 1yr), but if it's something like that and I trust my skills, I'm going for A.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

If you're Serge and the options are:

A:
              --1yr 25-27M deal
              --Starting Centre role on the team you won a championship with and is capable of going deep in the playoffs again
              --Chance to use that role to showcase your talent on new contract year, that could land you another 4yr 10M/yr with said team, on the city you grow to love, and a locker room full of guys that like you (and vice versa).

B:
              --Average 12.5M/yr (the 50M over 4yrs) on an unknown (and potentially crappy) team/city/locker room.

It may not turn out to be exactly like those 2 choices (they might think 25-27M is too much even on a ballon 1yr), but if it's something like that and I trust my skills, I'm going for A.
              Yes.. thats very plausible. Option A.
              I don't share your belief that he gets the 25-27 from us. Just my view.
              The salary cap is poised to take a bit of a hit. BasketBall revenues are down this year. The China thing. The no bums in seats for league and playoff games. General Merchandising is off. The TV ratings were pretty poor compared to past years and will most likely be under review for an adjustment from ESPN TNT et al. Money is going to be harder to come by. Serges agent needs to be able to read the market early. I still think he takes a more term less AAV deal out west.
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

• Take with grain of salt since it's coming from a NY paper, but apparently the Raptors want to resign Fred to a contract similar to that of Brogdon's:
                https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...fbm-story.html

VanVleet, 26, can soon afford many, many, many Corvettes. In the 2020 free-agent class, he’ll likely command the third-biggest contract behind Anthony Davis and Brandon Ingram (who are both expected to re-sign with their respective teams). People around the league view Malcolm Brogdon’s deal last year with the Pacers as VanVleet’s comparison, which means in the neighborhood of four years, $85 million.
                Most of the opinion in the article is from Joe Danforth who was Fred's old coach and mentor in Rockford.

Comment

Take with grain of salt since it's coming from a NY paper, but apparently the Raptors want to resign Fred to a contract similar to that of Brogdon's:
                  https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...fbm-story.html

Most of the opinion in the article is from Joe Danforth who was Fred's old coach and mentor in Rockford.
                  that is fine depending on the annual raises and what not... if we can get it down closer to 80 i'd be even happier.

Comment

• Brogdon deal is something id be happy with and would still be easily moveable even if Freddy doesnt improve anymore then the player he already is.
                    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Nate knows all of Nurse's secrets.

Comment

• That sucks. Nick loved Nate.

Comment

That sucks. Nick loved Nate.
                          Another great Raptors bromance broken up right there. lol. Kyle & DeMar, Yak & Skills, Nick & Nate.

Silver lining is that Nurse's staff will probably be an attractive landing spot for elite assistant coaches now. If Chris Finch (who Nate beat out) doesn't get a gig, I could possibly see him replacing Nate.

Comment

• We really are the spurs of the east. There are so many ex spurs assistant coaches that are/were head coaches in the league. now all we need is a generational talent like a tim duncan....

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                              No new posts in 12 hours...when does the new season start .....
                              Am I and T Rex the only ones that can't access from our phones? Nobody else seems too bothered by this..
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Am I and T Rex the only ones that can't access from our phones? Nobody else seems too bothered by this..
                                There's a thread called forum glitches a few posts down from this one. Lots of people with that problem.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X