Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Will Darryl Morey, via proxy, move one of Simmons or Embiid now that he has a brand new toy to work with ?

The draft is in 3 weeks.

Over / Under is 4 weeks.

I'll take the under. .

What say you ?

Morey is a big moves type of guy, but I wonder if he will be making huge changes in this his first season with the club. That first year of "evaluating" is important for longevity in an executive role.

Comment

Will Darryl Morey, via proxy, move one of Simmons or Embiid now that he has a brand new toy to work with ?

The draft is in 3 weeks.

Over / Under is 4 weeks.

I'll take the under. .

What say you ?

He's got a 7' player in Embiid and an all-star that refuses to take 3's. Yet he's the guy that built a system where the tallest guy on his team was 6'7 and he had nothing but shooters.

So you would think one or both are going to be available.

But I actually think he's keeping both and that Chris Paul now is most likely going to end up in Philly. He traded for him before. Rivers coached him before. I think that's going to be the plan this offseason.

If things don't work out he'll move Simmons before Embiid I guess, but that decision won't be made until next off season. And only if Philly struggles to come out of the East again.

Comment

• I'd suggest Morey built what D'antonni asked for and catered to his star player. He'll be dealing with Doc a "defensive" minded coach along with two stars whose strengths are on that side of the ball. I can see him getting smaller, but with the intent to be more mobile and switchable on D. Either way if he starts making big moves it could be trouble for the rest of the East.

Comment

• I'm not seeing how Doc + Morey is any better of a fit than Simmons + Embiid, Elton Brand kind of just looks like he's going for name recognition. Continues to be difficult to see what the strategy is for how all these pieces fit together.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Lakers has proven that big ball >>> small ball.
            Small ball never worked for Morey in Houston. Why would he ever go back to that when he has 2 bigs now that can mimic the Lakers formula.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
              Lakers has proven that big ball >>> small ball.
              Small ball never worked for Morey in Houston. Why would he ever go back to that when he has 2 bigs now that can mimic the Lakers formula.
              Depends on the bigs. Dwight, AD, McGee are all big, quick and athletic. Wouldn't have worked if they had slower, less athletic bigs.

Comment

• It will be interesting to see Morey does with the team. Embiid and Simmons doesn't work, one of them has to go.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  I'm not seeing how Doc + Morey is any better of a fit than Simmons + Embiid, Elton Brand kind of just looks like he's going for name recognition. Continues to be difficult to see what the strategy is for how all these pieces fit together.
                  On Liberty Ballers, there were a few comments that a reliable source suggested Morey had a hand in the Sixers hiring Rivers.

As for strategy, it seems pretty simple. Get an experienced, successful basketball guy to fix an awful front office and get management back on track, while hiring a veteran, respected coach to get a higher caliber coaching staff in place and get the most out of your stars. Who knows what happens there but Morey is going to put good teams on the floor and they won't be coached by Brett Brown.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

He's got a 7' player in Embiid and an all-star that refuses to take 3's. Yet he's the guy that built a system where the tallest guy on his team was 6'7 and he had nothing but shooters.

So you would think one or both are going to be available.

But I actually think he's keeping both and that Chris Paul now is most likely going to end up in Philly. He traded for him before. Rivers coached him before. I think that's going to be the plan this offseason.

If things don't work out he'll move Simmons before Embiid I guess, but that decision won't be made until next off season. And only if Philly struggles to come out of the East again.
                    So over.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
                      Lakers has proven that big ball >>> small ball.
                      Philly's problem is that neither of their big ballers is named Lebron.

It's now Embiids 6th or 7th year. He has yet to show up in shape or drop the clown act that makes him a more dependable social media quote than a baller. Stats god who has won nuthin.

Simmons is a talent who has the glaring inability to shoot. He is a hack a Shaq candidate down the stretch in close games.Hes in his 5th year. If he doesnt have a shot now he never will. Quite the liability in the run and gun NBA of the 3 point era.

Big ball isnt dead..Its just dormant....We just dont have very many transcendant talents on the floor a the 5 ..Davis, Jokic and ?

Until fat Joel figures out its him fucking up his career he is trade bait for Morey.

The Knicks are idiots and have 6 firsts spread over the next 4 drafts. Morey and Presti and Masai are in a league of their own....Morey is going to change Philly.

To steal the phrase...to replay the same set of events, in the same way and expect a different result is the definition of insanity.

That was us with Kyle and Demar. It's no different in Philly.
                      - TGO

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

On Liberty Ballers, there were a few comments that a reliable source suggested Morey had a hand in the Sixers hiring Rivers.

As for strategy, it seems pretty simple. Get an experienced, successful basketball guy to fix an awful front office and get management back on track, while hiring a veteran, respected coach to get a higher caliber coaching staff in place and get the most out of your stars. Who knows what happens there but Morey is going to put good teams on the floor and they won't be coached by Brett Brown.
                        Pretty much sums it up. By default of not having Brett Brown coaching the team, the Sixers should be a better. Rivers is respected around the league and will get the players to buy into whatever system he comes up with. Morey, for better or worse is not afraid to and is capable of acquiring star players and completely overhauling rosters.

Comment

• Nash hiring D'Antoni and Ime Udoka as assistants, interesting and I like it. But still, fk Brooklyn.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Pretty much sums it up. By default of not having Brett Brown coaching the team, the Sixers should be a better. Rivers is respected around the league and will get the players to buy into whatever system he comes up with. Morey, for better or worse is not afraid to and is capable of acquiring star players and completely overhauling rosters.
                            Respectfully Disagree.

Rivers couldnt or didnt get the Clips to play hard when it mattered. Changing jockeys doesnt make the horse run faster. Especially the Sixers as the metaphorical horse.
                            Morey is going to have to structurally change a lineup that has not got it done on the court and on the surface of it a team that seems to lack intestinal fortitude. Calling a timeout at the optimal time doesnt change that.

The Chowders crushed and powdered the Sixers on the floor in the first round. Swept them . It wasnt close.

They still cant shoot and still have two guys who need the ball all the time to be effective.

The winds of change are blowing down Broad Street in Philly.

- TGO

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                              Nash hiring D'Antoni and Ime Udoka as assistants, interesting and I like it. But still, fk Brooklyn.
                              They are setting themselves up for success in Brooklyn. Knicks look really bad at the moment...they've long prided themselves as the kings of New York.

Comment

Respectfully Disagree.

Rivers couldnt or didnt get the Clips to play hard when it mattered. Changing jockeys doesnt make the horse run faster. Especially the Sixers as the metaphorical horse.
                                Morey is going to have to structurally change a lineup that has not got it done on the court and on the surface of it a team that seems to lack intestinal fortitude. Calling a timeout at the optimal time doesnt change that.

The Chowders crushed and powdered the Sixers on the floor in the first round. Swept them . It wasnt close.

They still cant shoot and still have two guys who need the ball all the time to be effective.

The winds of change are blowing down Broad Street in Philly.
                                I won't make excuses for Rivers and how he has fared in the playoffs. I just see Philly as a team that should have been much better than they were and I think that a lot of that was on their coach. He just seemed like he was in over his head. The team was so disorganized and had zero identity, Simmons being injured for the playoffs with Boston didn't help.

I think they turn it around under Doc and Morey, but we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Working...
                                X