No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This should take Phoenix out of the VanVleet picture. His market could shrink.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
      This should take Phoenix out of the VanVleet picture. His market could shrink.
      Especially for teams that have a shot at winning basketball games.

Comment

• Garbo wrote: View Post

Followup question: Taking our homer hats off for a moment, if you could assemble a team around one of Middleton, Siakam or Simmons, who would you choose?

As far as I'm concerned, Simmons would be the bottom of my list. An inability to stretch the floor is an insurmountable obstacle in the modern NBA. I'd say it's pretty close between Middleton and Siakam, though I'd be inclined to lean towards Siakam strictly due to his potential upside.

The TV analysts would laugh me out of the room for that ranking, but I'm not sure I'm wrong. And, if I'm not wrong, we might be the team that is best positioned to nab a guy like Harden.
        Even without homer glasses, I'd go Siakam, Simmons, Middleton.

Simmons can't shoot. I don't care how good at everything else you are, you can't be the centrepiece of a team (and therefore use a big chunk of its cap space) in today's nba with that kind of limitation. That will always, invariably, be exploited in the playoffs and be the focal point on the opposing team's defensive game plan. It's also not just 3's he doesn't shoot, he's bad at free throws too, so on tight games he's been known to shy away from the paint (his forte), because he's afraid of being put on the FT line when the game is close.

I'd give him the edge over Middleton because he's 5 yrs younger but not by much. Middleton is a 29yr old borderline all-star that benefited a lot from Giannis coattails. Siakam is far from perfect but if I had to pick one to build a team around between these 3 it'd be him

Comment

• Surprise surprise Stanley Johnson has opted into his contract.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Durant/Irving/Harden is incredibly talented, obviously, even with all the potential issues. So there's always the hope that players that skilled can sort things out and be really good together.

But man. There are A LOT of potential issues in that mix, on court, in the locker room, and re: filling out the roster.
            Word is out that KD wants Harden in NJ.
            Nash - DAntoni will for sure institute their Phoenix system, and IF ... IF Kyrie and Harden buys in then they can be a pretty good team.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
              Chris Paul to Phoenix let’s go!
              No CP3 coming to the Bucks' rescue. It's gotta be Harden or Westbrook at this point to make Giannis happy, right?

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Word is out that KD wants Harden in NJ.
                Nash - DAntoni will for sure institute their Phoenix system, and IF ... IF Kyrie and Harden buys in then they can be a pretty good team.
                There'a a number of valid questions re health/egos/fit etc but all going well, that team goes form nowhere to winning the East this year.
                Semi-hot take

Comment

• Hopefully Bobby went to high school or something with the Rockets assistant GM.

Comment

• Wow. I don’t even know hardens trade value would be

Comment

• I love how a team like Philly is considered a contender. They got swept in the first round and were 6th in the East going into the playoffs.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I love how a team like Philly is considered a contender. They got swept in the first round and were 6th in the East going into the playoffs.
                        its because of the media, they keep on anointing them as the best team in the east and give them excuses why they fail.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                          Wow. I don’t even know hardens trade value would be
                          I would say something similar to Anthony Davis, though the circumstance of that deal were unique.

Comment

Durant/Irving/Harden is incredibly talented, obviously, even with all the potential issues. So there's always the hope that players that skilled can sort things out and be really good together.

But man. There are A LOT of potential issues in that mix, on court, in the locker room, and re: filling out the roster.
                            Love these things surfaced by agents and media types stoking the NBA hype machine. .
                            Great points... and add in there is only 1 ball.

The classic NBA line of
                            "we know how to play with each other"
                            has been trotted out numerous times for failed personnel experiments, most recently the Harden/Paul and the Harden/Westbrook flops and the resulting divorces.

So who of Harden or Irving is going to relinquish the ball to become a spot up three point shooter?
                            I'm sure that Kevin Durants ample ego would not allow him to become a 5th wheel in the Chris Bosh reprise

Never say never.. but thats a hard one to see financially and on the floor.

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                            - TGO

Comment

• It is difficult to see how that would work. Three guys that duplicate each others talents, all needing the ball in their hands and all in their primes.

Comment

Guess Phoenix really liked that undefeated bubble run.

Seriously though, they have actually been evolving into a pretty good team once all their guys were healthy. They'll basically replace OKC in the standings if they're healthy next season. Pretty good up and coming players. CP3 will be a good mentor and help them win short term. Not sure I see the path to a title through that roster build though.
                                To me....I think Phoenix has to win now. If they are a lottery team AGAIN this coming off season it would be like a decade in the lottery. Not a great look for the franchise and getting fans to come out and put their bums in Talking Stick arena once the curse of covid is lifted next year.

After 6 years...Booker has shown he can't do it alone. No problem with that. Recognize your limitations and put in a mitigation strategy. Adding Paul lets Booker simply shoot the ball which is what he is good at. Paul will bring it up and pass. Ayton will be the rim protection and be the rebounding and low post presence. They are going to need a lot more from Cam Johnson and Bridges and perhaps finally Saric can fit a role. Oubre will be missed.. but not really.

Its not going to be a cakewalk to get into the WC playoffs despite the bell ringing by the NBA MSM.

The two LA teams, Golden State, Denver, Dallas, Utah, Memphis , Portland, OKC , New Orleans and maybe Sacto are going to be reasonably expected to make the playoffs by their GM's. That makes a dozen teams or so trying to land 8 spots. Its not going to be easy.

I think for a variety of reasons Phoenix had to do this..To me .. the jury of one... these two are at the top of the page.

Recognize Booker isn't going to this on his own. He needs a big time player to help. They are hard to find. Paul can at least get them to the Playoffs which puts bums in seats and maybe restores the idea that the Valley of The Sun is a good FA destination.Warm weather and they have the abiltiy to win. Thats not there right now. .

How long can you look like the village idiots of the NBA. 15 or so first round picks later and Sarvers squad has done effectively ...nuthin. Push some chips into the middle.

Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Nov 16, 2020, 07:41 PM.
                                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X