Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    Surprise surprise Stanley Johnson has opted into his contract.
    Now his a$$ can be officially a through in a trade,Mccaw clown also..that's 8 to 8.5 million together, put Norman powell and 1st rd pick..get Oladipo. If it doesn't work out, you've freed up 20 millon for next year.
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• nba_4_life wrote: View Post

its because of the media, they keep on anointing them as the best team in the east and give them excuses why they fail.
      Real curious to see what Morey does. Whole bunch of talented pieces that dont fit on massive contracts. On paper they are really good, hasnt yet translated to the court. New coach and a competent point guard alone could fit things together and raise them into contender status, I just dont buy the foundation there though.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

How long can you look like the village idiots of the NBA.
        Knicks: Hold my beer.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Love these things surfaced by agents and media types stoking the NBA hype machine. .
          Great points... and add in there is only 1 ball.

The classic NBA line of has been trotted out numerous times for failed personnel experiments, most recently the Harden/Paul and the Harden/Westbrook flops and the resulting divorces.

So who of Harden or Irving is going to relinquish the ball to become a spot up three point shooter?
          I'm sure that Kevin Durants ample ego would not allow him to become a 5th wheel in the Chris Bosh reprise

Never say never.. but thats a hard one to see financially and on the floor.

Ok, sorry if this is a dumb question with a very simple answer but how the heck are they gonna pay for these three guys? Never mind the chemistry, locker room and on-court fit. Their combined salary is 107M. That's 98% of the cap. Is someone taking a paycut? It's funny when the raps contemplate a trade or a FA signing all of a sudden there's tons of cap constraints, but if it's Harden to the Nets where 2 guys are already eatinng up 70M it's like, "woah that team would e stacked!"

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Ok, sorry if this is a dumb question with a very simple answer but how the heck are they gonna pay for these three guys? Never mind the chemistry, locker room and on-court fit. Their combined salary is 107M. That's 98% of the cap. Is someone taking a paycut? It's funny when the raps contemplate a trade or a FA signing all of a sudden there's tons of cap constraints, but if it's Harden to the Nets where 2 guys are already eatinng up 70M it's like, "woah that team would e stacked!"
            Teams can go above the cap. In a trade you can bring back 125% + $100K more than what you give back. Harden for Dinwiddie/LeVert/Prince/Allen I believe works. They have much less depth but can use draft picks, minimum contracts, etc to fill out their roster. If the Nets don't care about paying tax they can pull it off.

It makes it tough moving forward.. but an owner with rich pockets that just wants to win can make it happen.

What's tougher is when you have 3 max players all wanting to be free agents at the same time. Like the Heatles. They all had to take pay cuts. But if you are bringing in guys off of trades, there is a little more wiggle room to make the acquisition work.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

The NBA hype machine churns out more fantasmagorical scenarios than any other NA sports league because they market people not teams. The Kevin and Kyrie show needs a backup singer. The Paul,and Kawahi show needs a lead guitarist. The opening act of Fat Joel and Noshot Simmons needs a lead singer. It’s show biz and hype and it works for the NBA. Of course it won’t work but don’t let that get in the way of a good story.

A mix of WWE, soap operas, high school like rivalries from players barely 2 or 3 years removed from a high school cafeteria make for good publicity.

The NBA..nuthin like it. It doesn’t have to make sense to sell this stuff. Just that it’s buyers are still listening and watching.
              Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Nov 16, 2020, 09:11 PM.
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Teams can go above the cap. In a trade you can bring back 125% + $100K more than what you give back. Harden for Dinwiddie/LeVert/Prince/Allen I believe works. They have much less depth but can use draft picks, minimum contracts, etc to fill out their roster. If the Nets don't care about paying tax they can pull it off.

It makes it tough moving forward.. but an owner with rich pockets that just wants to win can make it happen.

What's tougher is when you have 3 max players all wanting to be free agents at the same time. Like the Heatles. They all had to take pay cuts. But if you are bringing in guys off of trades, there is a little more wiggle room to make the acquisition work.
                I see, kinda like I suspected - gut the team, give future picks on the trade, use current picks and vet minimum ring chasers to find a way to pay 14 players by going over the cap. It's for sure an-all in strategy, especially considering Durant and Kyrie have had significant injuries. Kinda reminds of the shakeup they did on their team to get old Paul Pierce and old Kevin Garnett.

Comment

• Thats a good haul for the thunder. Oubre looked awesome at points last year and could be an all-NBA defender at some point. Jerome is a knock down shooter and they add another 1st round pick.
                  CP3 made the thunder in the middle of the playoff pack and they had a lot less talent the the suns have. Could see phx in a similar spot OKC was last year. CP3 might be able to unnlock Ayton with the PNR and Booker can play off ball more. The west just keeps getting tougher.
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• And phx still has Green and Rubio who can be flipped either this offseason or at the trade deadline for to a contender who needs a playmaker of shooter

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                      This should take Phoenix out of the VanVleet picture. His market could shrink.
                      Just an observation, but free agents who talk so brashly about “getting paid”, often have that backfire on them. Isaiah “brinks truck” Thomas and 2Pat come to mind. Deyonta Davis did that as a rookie and dropped right out of the first round. I think it kind of pisses off owners to hear that stuff out in the open. Not a class move by FVV.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Just an observation, but free agents who talk so brashly about “getting paid”, often have that backfire on them. Isaiah “brinks truck” Thomas and 2Pat come to mind. Deyonta Davis did that as a rookie and dropped right out of the first round. I think it kind of pisses off owners to hear that stuff out in the open. Not a class move by FVV.
                        I get the whole humble, class act mentality, but I don't think you can ask these guys to be ultra competitors, all about winning on the court then not try to find success off the court too. Plus you rarely hear about nonmax level guys contract aspirations, I imagine if 90% of them were on a viral podcast it would be a similar answer to Fred - "everyone knows im about winning, want a prominent role and more than anything want to get paid."

Comment

• Jrue to the bucks. Assume bledsoe is on the way to N.O and maybe some young guys divencenso maybe.
                          Big improvement for giannis

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                            Jrue to the bucks. Assume bledsoe is on the way to N.O and maybe some young guys divencenso maybe.
                            Big improvement for giannis
                            george hill, bledsoe and picks

Comment

• To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• nba_4_life wrote: View Post

george hill, bledsoe and picks
                                Brook opted out today too. Don't think they are going to be able to afford him with giannis, middleton and now Jrue. Wonder how long a deal he wants, id give him a 1 year balloon deal over ibaka or gasol if he wanted

Comment

Working...
                                X