Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

For Jrue Holiday in a vacuum, yes, it's an overpay. If Giannis said they needed to be better at the point guard position and the Pelicans played hard ball putting that as the price for Jrue, then that's what you gotta pay if you're the bucks. On a smaller scale, this is not unlike the Paul George move to the Clips. The haul Clips had to pay was to secure both George and Leonard.
    Lebron got AD, Kawhi got PG, Durant got Irving. Curry has klay. Giannis gets.... Jrue?
    Sure the bucks finally did something but if giannis looks around at the other top 5 players in the league he should ask himself why they get all star/superstars and he gets 2 fringe all stars.
    I dont think Jrue and Middleton are the guys convincing giannis to stay, it would be foolish to sign an extension now, Bud still the coach they could very easily get knocked off in the 2nd round again next year.
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• But the buzz is saying Giannis will now sign. Raptors don't have a viable plan B and off to the middle of the pack of irrelevance we'd go.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Lebron got AD, Kawhi got PG, Durant got Irving. Curry has klay. Giannis gets.... Jrue?
        Sure the bucks finally did something but if giannis looks around at the other top 5 players in the league he should ask himself why they get all star/superstars and he gets 2 fringe all stars.
        I dont think Jrue and Middleton are the guys convincing giannis to stay, it would be foolish to sign an extension now, Bud still the coach they could very easily get knocked off in the 2nd round again next year.
        Sure, there's no guarantee anything will work, that by no means is a superteam. Thing is, Giannis is not looking for superteam or be buddy-buddy with another superstar in NY/Cali. The dynamic there is a bit different. He wants to compete and not take the easy way out, but at the same time wants the front office to continue to improve the team (by taking risks involving future assests if necessary) so they can win a title there while he's at his peak.

In other words, their new team could very well flame out too like you say, but the sense here is that Bucks listened to Giannis by going out and improving the backcourt, and that alone is probably the nudge he needed to sign the extension. He's more likely to extend it now than before (unfortunately)

What that means to the Raptors (and all the other teams courting Giannis) is that that they have to put that in perspective and realize this pipe dream strategy of "saving cap space for Giannis" might not be as viable (was always a very long shot to begin with). Bucks improved to help retain their star, Nets is forming a superteam, Boston has been dangling Hayward (and even Kemba) for an upward move, Philly is also rumored to be actively searching for a way to improve too.

The only ones so far quiet in the upper class of the East are the Raptors and Miami. Miami just went to the NBA finals though, so they theoretically shouldn't have to do much (though they probably could). We'll see on draft night tomorrow, that's a night things often shakeup as well

Comment

• Giannis aint signing..I guarantee..Trust me, he will be free agent next year..
          "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Does anyone think Jrue, middleton and Bogdonavic are better running mate then Pascal, FVV and OG? Or Luka and kristaps? Or jimmy and Bam?

Comment

Does anyone think Jrue, middleton and Bogdonavic are better running mate then Pascal, FVV and OG? Or Luka and kristaps? Or jimmy and Bam?
              Luka and Kristaps are the numero uno, followed by Buckets and Bam.

Comment

$250 million dollar contract. During a pandemic. Take the money. Figure the rest out later.

We've seen it play out again and again, if a star wants out *even after he's signed that contract* he has all the leverage to get out of that situation. And if that happens, Milwaukee can get all their picks and then some back in this deal (which some are questioning if it's an overpay.) I honestly can't imagine why he wouldn't sign now and worry about the rest later. Especially after what the Bucks have done to restructure the team. He'd look like a dick if he didn't feel this was sufficient.

Sign it. Play it out. See what happens. Take the QUARTER OF A BILLION DOLLARS.

Sad for us, but true.

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                  Giannis aint signing..I guarantee..Trust me, he will be free agent next year..
                  This is ominous, coming from you, doctor.

Comment

Does anyone think Jrue, middleton and Bogdonavic are better running mate then Pascal, FVV and OG? Or Luka and kristaps? Or jimmy and Bam?
                    I don't think we ever see KP back at 100%. The guy is a shadow of his former self going forward.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

I don't think we ever see KP back at 100%. The guy is a shadow of his former self going forward.
                      Ya I dont either the main guy is Luka who will be a top 5 player in no time. Zinger could play a great Bosh role tho.
                      if giannis leave and doesnt come here I hope its dallas

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

$250 million dollar contract. During a pandemic. Take the money. Figure the rest out later.

We've seen it play out again and again, if a star wants out *even after he's signed that contract* he has all the leverage to get out of that situation. And if that happens, Milwaukee can get all their picks and then some back in this deal (which some are questioning if it's an overpay.) I honestly can't imagine why he wouldn't sign now and worry about the rest later. Especially after what the Bucks have done to restructure the team. He'd look like a dick if he didn't feel this was sufficient.

Sign it. Play it out. See what happens. Take the QUARTER OF A BILLION DOLLARS.

Sad for us, but true.
                        Maybe but even if he does ask for a trade it's still the bucks choice where he ends up not his.

Comment

Maybe but even if he does ask for a trade it's still the bucks choice where he ends up not his.
                          Tell that to Anthony Davis. Or Kawhi, for that matter, (with a brief championship detour.)

And yes, Giannis would have a lot more years on his contract than Kawhi did ... but he could certainly hold out and say "I'm only going here."

I'll concede that he may not wanna end up at that juncture though. ... That way vilification lies.

Still... I'd take the quarter billion. Maybe that's just me... but I suspect it's him, too.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

6th in the conference feels like a floor. If you get luck like you describe, they should be well above 6th.
                            I don't disagree. That's why I suggested "within the top 6 in the conference." I don't think Masai and Bobby are done for this season. They haven't even started. I also think Siakim and Gasol largely flaming out in the bubble has been a huge incentive to those two (and the rest of the team) to come back better prepared.

It's hard to see any trades that could easily be made to improve the team, but I also think that some of the problems in the bubble can be laid at Nurse's door, and I expect a significant rethink from him on how he uses his players. The regular season will be very interesting this year. I think he gives the younger players a little more free rein in the interests of developing them, and in saving the vets healthwise. We'll see how it all works out. The Raptors may have a better opportunity at the trade deadline this year as well.

I am just really looking forward to December 22nd and the start of regular season play.

Comment

• Giannis needs to play next to someone that can create their own offense as well as for him and I don't think Jrue is that guy, at least not in the playoffs when defenses tighten up. I'm just not sure if the Raptors have that player either once Lowry is gone.

The Raps offense has been about 2 PG's on the floor at the same time for so long now I have to think they are targeting one in the draft or in trades. Either a PG or an SG that can handle those duties.

Masai and Bobby have both said that signing FVV is their number one priority this off season. If the plan was a TD/ FVV back court of the future I wonder how much these charges against TD have messed up their plans?

Comment

• Draft tonight. Free agency starts in 2 days. Things could get crazy. lol. I like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X