No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this the quiet before the storm or the quiet before the quiet? No news at all about the Raptors involved in any trade or free agency talks. Even the year of Kawhi our name was in the hat among the teams looking to trade for him.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

If Woj can actually blow up deals for teams he doesn’t like, then I guess you have to care.
      Woj blew up nothing. Bogdanovic's agent has pulled this stuff before with Morris-Spurs and Bjelica-Sixers.

The issue with NBA "reporters" is that they aren't really reporters but are conflicted, interested parties pushing agendas. You are right that you absolutley have to pay attention to what they are writing and saying but, well, if you dance with the devil you will get burned.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
        Is this the quiet before the storm or the quiet before the quiet? No news at all about the Raptors involved in any trade or free agency talks. Even the year of Kawhi our name was in the hat among the teams looking to trade for him.
        Raptors are always quiet.. it's just the way they operate. I have this strange feeling that both Fred and Serge will be announced tonight.. around 6pm when free agency officially starts. I think they both come back.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Raptors are always quiet.. it's just the way they operate. I have this strange feeling that both Fred and Serge will be announced tonight.. around 6pm when free agency officially starts. I think they both come back.
          I'd be surprised if FVV isn't a Raptor next season. Not so sure about Serge, if you can get someone like Harrel for cheaper then that might be the way they go. They do need another vet big though because I can't see them bringing Gasol back.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            Is this the quiet before the storm or the quiet before the quiet? No news at all about the Raptors involved in any trade or free agency talks. Even the year of Kawhi our name was in the hat among the teams looking to trade for him.
            I have some leftover Blue Jays complex; I'm afraid this is the calm before the calm and we'll be force fed "re-signing our own FVV is a huge win for the franchise" ....

People still wondering if Fred signs back here. It's 1000% he's back for reasons I already mentioned, Bobby has all but guaranteed it and I wouldn't all be surprised if the ink was dry days ago until they can officially announce it. My hope is they didn't over pay but that wouldn't surprise me either.
            Last edited by G__Deane; Fri Nov 20, 2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• It's not unique to Toronto but it's frustrating how we try to bury our own. Look at anyone's free agent board. Take away AD who is not going really a free agent and FVV is towards the top of most boards. That means most teams would want him. Sure he has flaws but so do most players. It would be great to have him back

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                It's not unique to Toronto but it's frustrating how we try to bury our own. Look at anyone's free agent board. Take away AD who is not going really a free agent and FVV is towards the top of most boards. That means most teams would want him. Sure he has flaws but so do most players. It would be great to have him back
                This was Hollinger's article in The Athletic on Nov. 2nd:

After noting there was nobody he would classify as a Tier One candidate in the PG ranks he had this to say.

NBA free agency point guard rankings: Fred VanVleet the big prize in a thin herd

Tier 2: More than MLE, less than Max
                Fred VanVleet — $21,960,628

As far as point guards go, it’s a one-man market. VanVleet is the only point guard who projects to be worth starter money, putting him in a commanding position in a market where multiple teams figure to be looking at point guards. In particular, New York and Detroit loom as possibilities and both have max cap room, if he doesn’t return to Toronto.

VanVleet is good, but the other allure here is that the 26-year-old is relatively young for an unrestricted free agent, so on a three- or four-year deal, a team is figuring to lock up the best seasons of his career. His intangibles likely add luster, as his rep is as one of the league’s smartest and most respected players.
                Last edited by Puffer; Fri Nov 20, 2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I have some leftover Blue Jays complex; I'm afraid this is the calm before the calm and we'll be force fed "re-signing our own FVV is a huge win for the franchise" ....

People still wondering if Fred signs back here. It's 1000% he's back for reasons I already mentioned, Bobby has all but guaranteed it and I wouldn't all be surprised if the ink was dry days ago until they can officially announce it. My hope is they didn't over pay but that wouldn't surprise me either.
                  Even the Lakers go stretches where they aren't a contender so let's not sulk if we don't go into next season with a top 5 player on the roster. FVV is a solid guard and like Pascal can deliver at the highest level of competition when he is playing next to an elite player. It's important to have those guys on the team too.

It's all about the year of Giannis right now. Superstar players that are willing to commit to playing in another country don't come around often, and Giannis has no allegiances to playing in the US. Rightfully Masai is focusing on rounding out a championship roster in time free agency in 2021 where he gets a crack at the Freak as well as the Klaw (should he be fed up with the LA media by then).

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                    As far as point guards go, it’s a one-man market. VanVleet is the only point guard who projects to be worth starter money, putting him in a commanding position in a market where multiple teams figure to be looking at point guards. In particular, New York and Detroit loom as possibilities and both have max cap room, if he doesn’t return to Toronto.

VanVleet is good, but the other allure here is that the 26-year-old is relatively young for an unrestricted free agent, so on a three- or four-year deal, a team is figuring to lock up the best seasons of his career. His intangibles likely add luster, as his rep is as one of the league’s smartest and most respected players.
                    The man has come a LONG way. God damn. Safe to say he made a good bet, when he bet on himself.

Comment

• Sign Van Vleet and Ibaka to validate to potential free agents that this franchise always take care of their own.

Enough salary to include in a package when a game changer is available before the next trade deadline.

I will stick to my opinion that when Beal or Lillard may soon be an option, then we go after that player to pair with Siakam.

Siakam with Beal
                      or
                      Siakam with Lillard

can be an attractive duo to entice a 2021-22 bigtime free agent like Giannis

Comment

• Gator nation it is. Florida weather must be good.

Tampa Bay it is....

https://twitter.com/malika_andrews/s...222837761?s=21

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                          Gator nation it is. Florida weather must be good.

Tampa Bay it is....

No surprise. Regardless of the merits of the Raps case for playing in Toronto, they were never going to get an exemption to play in Toronto for travel, etc., especially given the collective incompetence of Tory, Ford and Trudeau and the capricious behavior of our politicians and health authorities.

Not sure if this will have any negative impact on free agency but certainly is another issue to navigate for the front office.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                            Gator nation it is. Florida weather must be good.

Tampa Bay it is....

No state tax. No waiting at the airport. And golf weather year round. Might work out well to entice a free agent that wants to sign on for 1 year.

Comment

• Masai's statement:
                              https://www.nba.com/raptors/statement-masai-ujiri-0

“The Raptors worked diligently with public health officials at the local, provincial and federal level to secure a plan that would permit us to play our 2020-21 season on home soil and on our home court at Scotiabank Arena. These conversations were productive, and we found strong support for the protocols we put forward. Ultimately, the current public health situation facing Canadians, combined with the urgent need to determine where we will play means that we will begin our 2020-21 season in Tampa, Florida.

We want to thank all levels of government and their public health officials for their dedication to this process, and for looking after the health of Canadians. We commit to continuing our work together, planning for a safe return to play in Toronto. And as an organization, we remain committed to doing all we can to promote and demonstrate public health measures to help combat the spread of COVID-19 in Canada.

So we’ll be away from our home and our fans for now. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I’m not sure that’s possible for us – we love Toronto and Canada, and we know we have the best fans in the NBA. For now, I’ll ask you to cheer for us from afar, and we’ll look forward to the day we are all together again.”

Comment

• I like this...

Comment

Working...
                                X