Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    Good deal, didn't have to over pay to keep him. I'm surprised a team like the Knicks didn't throw an overpaid contract his way.
    Pistons would have been better off not signing Grant or Plumlee and giving Fred $28 million/year.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Even if those players are available, and Harden is the only one that appears to be, not a single one of them makes the Raps a championship team. The only guys that would put Raps in that realm straightaway are: Lebron (not going anywhere), Kawhi (Not going anywhere and I'm not even so sure about this anymore given his injuries), Davis (not going anywhere), Doncic (maybe, but hasn't done it yet and isn't going anywhere), and Giannis (free agent next year with close ties the organization's leaders).

Masai gave an interview after the title and mentioned that he thought he had built championship teams in the past but never really got it until they actually had a real championship team (and I vaguely recall him saying Riley or someone like Riley had mentioned this to him). It's easy to talk yourself into a really good player coming in and elevating the team but we all know that isn't enough. Raps need a superstar. They don't have one. They have a real chance to get one. You don't ruin that by trading the farm for KAT or Beal.

Ironically, what people who want to be title competitive NOW are actually arguing for is the Derozan-Lowry Raps: almost but never quite good enough. If you believe all that really matters is title contention (personally I do not by your mileage may vary), then you should be thrilled with waiting a year for a possible Giannis signing cause it is the surest path to what you want.
      I'm not one for "championship or bust", so in that sense I feel the same way as you. I also agree that none of the guys I used as examples would immediately make the Raps a championship team again (except maybe Harden), but they would represent (if the trade was right) a path to maximize the value of our roster, before they get too old and too removed from the championship (where their value was the highest). An attempt to arrive at the best possible balance between current and future value of the team, so they remain winning and in the best position to pounce when the opportunity comes.

We're not a free agent destination. While that may change, all the success we've had in the past was through good drafting, good internal development, and winning trades that would keep the team winning and ready to leap on the chance for a title. The 1 superstar we've had that got us there came through trade, added to years of a Lowry-Derozan foundation. Sacrificing ongoing roster improvement to make the bed for Giannis, who has no incentive or no indication to want to come here, as well as 29 other suitors, is a departure from that strategy. It may very well pay off, and I'll be the first one celebrating I was wrong, but the chances of that are unfortunately very low.

All in all, I think bobby and Masai are hedging their bets, making calls and inquiring about the right players. Just because we don't hear about it doesn't mean they're not doing it. I'm sure that if they found something that was truly worth eating up 2021 cap space, they would consider. If they're doing that, I can't really fault them in any way.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
        Good deal, didn't have to over pay to keep him. I'm surprised a team like the Knicks didn't throw an overpaid contract his way.
        That would have been a classic Knicks move... which why it's mildly surprising that they didn't do it.

I'm wondering if their current play in regards to their PG position is waiting to see if the Nets pass on Westbrook and seeing if they can buy low on him from Houston.

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post

That would have been a classic Knicks move... which why it's mildly surprising that they didn't do it.

I'm wondering if their current play in regards to their PG position is waiting to see if the Nets pass on Westbrook and seeing if they can buy low on him from Houston.
          The Knicks may well have done it - just Freddy decided not to accept the offer

Comment

• Could we be a trade partner with Ind to get the Hayward? We take Turner, and then trade Norm and extras to another team who has cap room. Or a sign and trade for Serg to another team, we get Turner and then 4 team (with cap space) gets the pieces from Serg.’s new destination and whatever else Indy has to give up to get Hayward there.

I really think Turner would be a good fit here

Comment

• Freddie for 85! That’s a good deal!

Comment

• Good job by Masai and team. 21.25 a year is a good deal. Hopefully it’s back loaded
                Last edited by saints91; Sat Nov 21, 2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Portis and Augustin over Ilyasova and Hill.
                  Holiday over Bledsoe and DiVincenzo.

They also lost Robin Lopez.

I actually think DJ is underrated. He'll be a good fit, but he's not as savvy as Hill is/was for them.

I think the Bucks basically just treaded water and moved a couple of deck chairs around. Holiday is better than Bledsoe simply because of Blesdoe's playoff failures. But DiVincenzo was a pretty good young piece for them which they don't have anymore.
                  They still have Middleton.. and I think Holiday takes a little pressure off of Kris in the playoffs.
                  The ameateur hour Kings front office cost them a shot at Bogdonavic. Bogdan would have given them another shooter on the wing that would have helped .I think thats going to hurt their chances..

They're different... but I'd lean to a little better different with Holiday.

Can they beat Davis and Lebron ?
                  Yes. But they won't be favoured.
                  Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Nov 21, 2020, 02:15 PM.
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• Fred's deal starts at $21.25M next season includes an 8% decrease in year 2 to help with the Raptors cap space in 2021 and then increases in year 3 with a player option in year 4.

Great negotiating from the front office and glad to see Fred put the team first.

Comment

• Golden State in talks with Houston re Harden. Weisman and Wiggins with picks likely

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                        Fred resigned 85 million for 4 years Woot woot

Woot, woot? Like, are we really supposed to be celebrating this albatross contract? SMH. Fred really took the franchise to the cleaners, benefiting from Lowry, Siakam, Kawhi & Nurse. Is FVV really worth $14M/year more than DJ Augustin, who can actually run a pick & roll and has a mid-range floater?

Let's go, Malachi!

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          Golden State in talks with Houston re Harden. Weisman and Wiggins with picks likely
                          That feels like it's... not the best return Houston could get.

It's also going to be really interesting seeing what a Curry-Harden fit looks like if there were some issues with a Westbrook-Harden fit, especially once Thompson eventually (we hope!) returns.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

It's punt season for most teams.

Unless Miami miraculously gets Giannis, only injuries stand in the way of LeBron repeating.
                            And man I hate that you're probably right

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              Golden State in talks with Houston re Harden. Weisman and Wiggins with picks likely
                              That's big boy league right there

Comment

• So a theme in this years free agent sweepstakes is that wings and guards command pretty big money.
                                Bigs do not.
                                A one and one with Serge for 15-18 M AAV is not out of the question as the week moves on.
                                The Dragic Deal is a good compare.

And the strategy remains fully intact so far as Ujiri stays on point.
                                Signs Freddy as a charter member of his going forward core in Pascal OG and now Freddy.
                                Stays competitive this year if he can get Serges name and Giles name on paper.
                                Retains a max slot for his shot at The Alphabet if the the Alphabet opts out.

Dull and boring I know.. but brutally effective.
                                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X