Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
    It surprises me that Giles signs for the minimum and we are hearing nothing from the raps. Hopefully Masai has something up his sleeve. They most likely were prepared with plan B’s and plan c’s.
    Yeah seems like Raps werent ever into him. Blazers are a good development team too, so he may end up looking good there.

Wondering if either John Collins or Zach Collins is available with those teams’ moves.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
      We need an enforcer now that Ibaka gone. Whose going to throw hand with opposing big who get chippy now?
      Serge cut that out when he realized throwing money away on fines was dumb.

Comment

• How about three point shooting? I know it was rated well during the regular season but it sucked so bad during the playoffs. assuming we get gasol back serge was solid from deep. Lowry, fred, og, pascal and gasol CAN all shoot deep but theyre also very streaky. I dont wanna make the playoffs and see a brickfest from 3 again that was torture

need to move norm to free up space for td and thomas

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Many people are overreacting. I liked Serge, but he won't make or break this team.
          It is true that Serge is not make or break, but what's concerning about that move (and the minor move of Giles from Sac to Portland ) is the big picture. One of these two things happened here:

1. Serge didn't get offered as much $ to play here, and took more money with the Clips. Raps didn't even offer Giles the minimum, so he took the money with the Blazers. [That is very unlikely, for both the Ibaka & Giles situations. Raptors needed Centres and they most likely offered Ibaka at least a 20M balloon deal (20M/yr vs 9.5M/yr), and Giles at least something better than Portalnd, which gave him minimum $ for just 1yr]

OR, more likely:

2. Serge chose to take less cash (like PJ Tucker did a few years back) to go play in LA. Giles, coveted by Raps fans and rumored to also be coveted by the front office, got an offer from us, but took less money (the minimum) to go play in Portland.

#2 Scenario is the more likely here. We couldn't entice our own free agent that loved the city, recently won a championship here, had a great relationship with his teammates, and got offered more $ to stay than if he left. We couldn't lure a 22yr old injure prone free agent kid from Sac to come rehab & develop here. It's sad, but it's likely what happened.

We couldn't do that, and yet our whole offseason activity (or lack thereof) remains based on the assumption that we'll somehow manage to not only get the league MVP to leave his current team (which had the best record last season, is improving this offseason, and can offer him more $ than any other team), but also sign here as opposed to anywhere else.

I guess I'll wait and see.

Comment

• Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
              How about three point shooting? I know it was rated well during the regular season but it sucked so bad during the playoffs. assuming we get gasol back serge was solid from deep. Lowry, fred, og, pascal and gasol CAN all shoot deep but theyre also very streaky. I dont wanna make the playoffs and see a brickfest from 3 again that was torture

need to move norm to free up space for td and thomas
              As I remember shooting was more a problem because Boston could target guards in PnR and Pascal was awful. People talk about spacing, but I think they forget about the spacing a rim runner or an elite role man generates. Id argue thats more valuable than most stretch bigs. Even Serge became a coinflip against Boston, they didnt respect him and honed in on everyone else and it worked. Compare that to Boucher, who with his size, length and explosiveness could become a very good dive option - thats so much less variable which to me is what you want out of a 4th option. I feel like you just want your 3-5 options to be reliable enough defenses have to respect them - both Gasol and Ibaka were not that in the playoffs and it made the offense a coinflip.

Comment

• It is a mug’s game to try and figure out a person’s motives for leaving.

As for Giles, other than the forums and twitter, I have seen no evidence Raps were ever interested. Given our head coach, I can’t imagine he was ever high on their list as there was no way Nurse was going to trust a complete project player with minutes, let alone a key rotation role. He’d play McCaw at centre first.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Raptors needed Centres and they most likely offered Ibaka at least a 20M balloon deal (20M/yr vs 9.5M/yr),
                  Raptors probably offered him no more than 15million or so actually, according to everything I've read. They had 20 million left but had to sign 3-4 players, one using the MLE. If they gave Serge 20 or higher, they wouldn't have room to bring on any further bodies and not go into the luxury tax.

Minor difference but important when weighing 9x2(18) vs 15 or 20. The two year salary guarantees him even just a little more money, which for a 31 year old 7 footer, is something to consider, and, to your point, is not quite as egregious and hurtful as turning down 20.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/thesteinline/sta...928280064?s=21

Markieff and Kyle I read somewhere “are” good friends so that could be a factor
                    Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Sun Nov 22, 2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                      We need an enforcer now that Ibaka gone. Whose going to throw hand with opposing big who get chippy now?
                      That's why Boogie. Upside, hopefully cheap and still brings the crazy eyes ....

Comment

• Comment

• WCS to the mavs. Does that take them out of Gasol?

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                            WCS to the mavs. Does that take them out of Gasol?
                            Biggest concern is Lakers now
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• I dont know if money was the only factor for serge. We all love these guys but lets be real, the clips have a better chance at getting serge another ring then the raps. Espically if he knows we want giannis and in order to get him he is probably gone next year.

Number 2 may not be as big a factor but has to be thought of espically with a guy that is nearing the twilight of career, post playing life. Serge has been going balls out with how hungry for you, his fashion show, his love for fashion in general. All those out of basketball reason are going to be much more lucrative in L.A
                              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Oh god, please don't sign a Morris
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                                X