No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do we have left to spend? A 5 mill exception or something? Who's out there (that's better than Rondae) that's realistic?

Can Ilyasova still move? Taj Gibson maybe? Kaminsky to add to our stable of shooting bigs? Can we add one of those (kind of) guys AND keep Rondae? I haven't been keeping as close an eye on things this year.

Comment

• Welcome FA C Alex Len

Comment

• Alex Len.. so we went with the vet minimum. Must mean Harris is going to be a 2-way.

Comment

• Already changed on Wiki it's so important:

Oleksiy "Alex" Len is a Ukrainian professional basketball player for the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association.

Picked 5th overall in 2013. 7' 250 lbs but already on his 4th team. And not even a "B" name to go with Baynes and Bouchard. Bust?
          Last edited by G__Deane; Mon Nov 23, 2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Len is basically a poor man's JV. He'll be the best rebounder on our squad, and he has an emerging 3-point shot. Solid backup C for big matchups, like Embiid.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
              Already changed on Wiki it's so important:

Oleksiy "Alex" Len is a Ukrainian professional basketball player for the Toronto Raptors of the National Basketball Association.

Picked 5th overall in 2013. 7'm 250 lbs but already on his 4th team. A bust?
              That's reality of playing draft game. Most of these guys are underwhelming at best and trash at worst
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Another big body is nice, but where does our roster stand from a numbers stand-point? Assuming Rondae goes, do we have enough space for all of Brissett/Watson/Harris?
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Very nice. Ensures the roster has the 7 foot bodies needed for match up purposes. All fits within The Plan.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• I for one am very happy with this pickup. We're pretty set now. Capable bodies all around who won't fuck things up.

Alex Len >>>> Greg Monroe lol

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                      Another big body is nice, but where does our roster stand from a numbers stand-point? Assuming Rondae goes, do we have enough space for all of Brissett/Watson/Harris?
                      Assuming we sign Flynn and Hernandez then we only have two 2-way spots left. So one of those three will no longer be a Raptor (and I doubt Harris will be one of them). But again, we might just walk away from Dewan too.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Assuming we sign Flynn and Hernandez then we only have two 2-way spots left. So one of those three will no longer be a Raptor (and I doubt Harris will be one of them). But again, we might just walk away from Dewan too.

I'd assume they'd waive Stanley over Dewan? Or maybe there's a 2 for 1 or 1 for none trade in the works. Dropping a player somehow then signing one of Brissett/Watson to a full contract and putting the other and Harris as the two-ways would make sense.
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• Every strategy has advantages and drawbacks. If one can't never see the upside of what the team is doing, then it's perpetual frustration and they may as well not be a fan. If one can't neversee the drawbacks, then they're a homer always accepting what's going on and unable to provide alternate views. Most people fall between those two extremes, and that's why the board is alive. Discussing upsides and drawbacks of strategies/players/teams is what makes the board exist. If everyone just dwelled on one end of that spectrum, the board would probably just wilt.

I like that the FO is taking risks. There's no growth without getting out of the comfort zone and taking risk. The debate will always revolve around what type of risk, when to take it etcetera. The strategy now is to hold cap space for Giannis. The upside is huge, so it's not unreasonable, despite the odds.

The drawback is the slow evaporation of the championship caliber equity on hand. We've had the most valuable roster in team history right after the championship, and arguably right up to last week as well. There's a short window of time where those assets are still in your hand and can be turned for "continue to win-now" assets, or to future value. Is it worth forfeting maximizing the value of the best roster you've ever had by pursuing a remote chance at Giannis? Maybe, maybe not. For all we know Masai has it in the bag already and it's been having dinner with Giannis and his parents for years, we'll never know.

Personally, I think it's a hail Mary. The kind of stuff you do when you're an established free agent destination, or your team is crappy anyway and you got nothing to lose by leaving it open. But hey, the guy that never buys lottery tickets will never win it, whereas the guy that does it has a non-zero chance. For all we know there were no trades available that would be worth it even they were willing to eat up cap space. I'll be buying fireworks and be the happiest they didn't listen to me if they end up getting him.

All in all, the FO is doing what many asked: try to land a max FA since it's something we've never done and will be huge for the team. For that you need future cap space, so those who asked for that can't really turn around to complain the team is meh and not as improved as other teams. As a fan, I will always hope that whatever they do works, just want to see the team be good, regardless if it's internal development, FA, trade or draft.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yeah, I'm becoming more partial to Beal over Giannis for this roster. You need that Mamba Mentality, contested shot, clock winding down, fearless guard/wing scorer if you want to win in the playoffs. Beal has proven to be that kind of guy. Like others mentioned... the Siakam + Giannis fit is a bit awkward.

Giannis + Beal is actually the best fit of all. Maybe Masai joins them both in Washington?
                            Yep. And as a bonus, Beal is gettable if you're truly willing to flip some of the roster while the value still there and we haven't gone from champion to first round exits. There's risk but also control on that situation, whereas for Giannis you're pretty much just holding your hat up hoping for the best.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              Schrodinger's Cap
                              Trademark this. Now!

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                What do we have left to spend? A 5 mill exception or something? Who's out there (that's better than Rondae) that's realistic?
                                bruno is very realistic with upside all the way to sao paulo

Comment

Working...
                                X