Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
    Every strategy has advantages and drawbacks. If one can't never see the upside of what the team is doing, then it's perpetual frustration and they may as well not be a fan. If one can't neversee the drawbacks, then they're a homer always accepting what's going on and unable to provide alternate views. Most people fall between those two extremes, and that's why the board is alive. Discussing upsides and drawbacks of strategies/players/teams is what makes the board exist. If everyone just dwelled on one end of that spectrum, the board would probably just wilt.

I like that the FO is taking risks. There's no growth without getting out of the comfort zone and taking risk. The debate will always revolve around what type of risk, when to take it etcetera. The strategy now is to hold cap space for Giannis. The upside is huge, so it's not unreasonable, despite the odds.

The drawback is the slow evaporation of the championship caliber equity on hand. We've had the most valuable roster in team history right after the championship, and arguably right up to last week as well. There's a short window of time where those assets are still in your hand and can be turned for "continue to win-now" assets, or to future value. Is it worth forfeting maximizing the value of the best roster you've ever had by pursuing a remote chance at Giannis? Maybe, maybe not. For all we know Masai has it in the bag already and it's been having dinner with Giannis and his parents for years, we'll never know.

Personally, I think it's a hail Mary. The kind of stuff you do when you're an established free agent destination, or your team is crappy anyway and you got nothing to lose by leaving it open. But hey, the guy that never buys lottery tickets will never win it, whereas the guy that does it has a non-zero chance. For all we know there were no trades available that would be worth it even they were willing to eat up cap space. I'll be buying fireworks and be the happiest they didn't listen to me if they end up getting him.

All in all, the FO is doing what many asked: try to land a max FA since it's something we've never done and will be huge for the team. For that you need future cap space, so those who asked for that can't really turn around to complain the team is meh and not as improved as other teams. As a fan, I will always hope that whatever they do works, just want to see the team be good, regardless if it's internal development, FA, trade or draft.
    I would agree that the Raptors aren't a FA destination, but the problem is we've never been in a situation like this. Before Masai, the front office we had wasn't good, so I wouldn't expect big time FAs to sign here. We had Vince, we had Bosh, 2 great star players in their primes here, but the front office never built a good enough team around them so they left.

During Masai's time here, we still had Derozan and Lowry, Masai was planning to trade Lowry to the Knicks in 2013, didn't happen and instead the Raptors over achieved and made the Playoffs, so Masai rode with those 2 for the next 6 years, the franchise got better and better, but we didn't have enough cap space to even sign a star FA, so Masai worked on making trades, we traded for Kawhi and won a championship. Kawhi left because he wanted to be in LA no matter what, and now we're in a situation where we have enough cap space to sign a star.

Of course signing any star player is a long shot, but we haven't been in this position before. Even if we strike out on the superstars, we can still sign a few high quality players on good contracts to potentially trade down the line for a superstar.

Comment

• What did Alex Len sign for? How much in relation the vet minimum?
      Still would have liked to see what Boogie has left here or if he's trashed. I bet he's motivated though and would want to make a run at starter's minutes.

Comment

• Alex Len this is what happens when you don’t have a plan. He is not a shot blocker and inconsistent.

Comment

• 16 mill or so spent and we’ve pretty much compensated for the loss of Serge and Marc and their 45 million.

Comment

• Len’s got a solid PER of 17 or so. He’s also the highest drafted player on the team.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
              Alex Len this is what happens when you don’t have a plan. He is not a shot blocker and inconsistent.
              Or when you have a plan, but it's just onto Plan D?

Comment

Alex Len this is what happens when you don’t have a plan. He is not a shot blocker and inconsistent.
                A number of people have asked "do you think Masai didn't have a plan B and C"?
                Well I think plan A was to sign FVV. Done.
                Plan B was to sign Serge to a one year 12.5M deal. Failed
                Plan C was to sign Gasol to a one year XM deal. Failed.
                Plan D was to sign any of a number of lesser but insignificant serviceable big bodies. A number of them went by the wayside and then.... Baynes and Len. Baynes is a downgrade but OK and Len is likely just .... available. He's a former 1st round pick that's only OK and will be fighting for garbage minutes.

Comment

• I'd call this Plan A. Plan A was to protect cap space for 2021, re-sign Fred, then fill out the roster.

They knew Gasol and Ibaka were long shots based on the offers. Look at how fast they signed Baynes and Boucher as soon as Gasol went to LA. That's exactly what Masai and Bobby expected to happen. But you still play it out, give Ibaka and Gasol the offers that are really about your long term plan and not about them, then move on to your real targets as soon as they turn down your offer for either a better contract or immediate chance to contend.

They could have thrown the bag at Ibaka and Gasol and kissed the 2021 cap space goodbye. They didn't, they didn't want to, and they would be well aware of what that meant re: exactly how enticing the offers were (weren't) that they put on the table. It's a business, they all understand that, they all moved on.

Did anyone expect them to re-sign all three guys and maintain cap space? I don't think anyone here did. Why does it feel like Plan D that we're where we're at now? This was all expected given the priorities.

Gasol or Ibaka taking a hometown discount to play a gap year in Toronto at this stage in their careers instead of going to a contender would have been nice, sure. It was also always unlikely.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                    I'd call this Plan A. Plan A was to protect cap space for 2021, re-sign Fred, then fill out the roster.

They knew Gasol and Ibaka were long shots based on the offers. Look at how fast they signed Baynes and Boucher as soon as Gasol went to LA. That's exactly what Masai and Bobby expected to happen. But you still play it out, give Ibaka and Gasol the offers that are really about your long term plan and not about them, then move on to your real targets as soon as they turn down your offer for either a better contract or immediate chance to contend.

They could have thrown the bag at Ibaka and Gasol and kissed the 2021 cap space goodbye. They didn't, they didn't want to, and they would be well aware of what that meant re: exactly how enticing the offers were (weren't) that they put on the table. It's a business, they all understand that, they all moved on.

Did anyone expect them to re-sign all three guys and maintain cap space? I don't think anyone here did. Why does it feel like Plan D that we're where we're at now? This was all expected given the priorities.

Gasol or Ibaka taking a hometown discount to play a gap year in Toronto at this stage in their careers instead of going to a contender would have been nice, sure. It was also always unlikely.
                    Was gonna say the same thing. Essentially, this is all Plan A.

Comment

• Likely 8-man rotation? Lowry/FVV/Norm/McCaw (is what it is) - Siakam/OG/Boucher/Baynes? Thomas and Davis fighting for the odd scrap of playing time at 9 and 10. Anyone else who can crack that rotation outside of injury or guys resting?

Comment

From the RR homepage re Len -- "He’s an underrated rim protector, having posted a block percentage of 2.0 every year of his career but one. The advanced numbers support his rim protection, as well, as last year he held opponents to a field goal percentage at the rim 10 percent lower than expected, comparable to Myles Turner, Chris Boucher, or Anthony Davis."

Comment

• I actually like the Len pick up given what was left. It's clear our front office is focused on the character piece as well. I would've been more shocked if we went with Whiteside or Cousins. I expect our center rotation will look to start Baynes, and then Boucher against small ball lineups or Len if it's a more classic center lineup. Then we can have Hernandez for victory cigar minutes. I really hope we see more of Hernandez this season.

I'm pretty pleased with the offseason. I expected Gasol to head out, and I'm disappointed Ibaka left, but we've got Finals MVP-runner up VanVleet back. Plus, I expect more growth from the young'uns on the roster. Time to wrap up the remaining bits of the roster i.e. Brissett.

Another point of order: We need to start building the statue to Lowry so we can use it as a welcome home gift when the team is back in Toronto.

Comment

Posts like this are what happen if you don't have a clue.

The plan is obvious. Hold the fort for 2021 while auditioning for membership in the young core. Every single thing they have done fits the plan.

Len has decent production stats, and also impact stats on the defensive end. He will compete with Boucher for minutes and the love of Chris Finch.

Comment

• Serge and Marc averaged about 23ppg (15 and 8). Baynes isn't a scorer (averaged under 6ppg with Boston, 11.5ppg with Phoenix). Neither really is Len (most was 9ppg per year in his 3rd year). Boucher can be a chucker but probably unreliable too.

Norm is going to have to bring it off the bench.. especially if TD is on the outs. Fred and Pascal have to become a lot more reliable. And Lowry might have to have a throw back year.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Serge and Marc averaged about 23ppg (15 and 8). Baynes isn't a scorer (averaged under 6ppg with Boston, 11.5ppg with Phoenix). Neither really is Len (most was 9ppg per year in his 3rd year). Boucher can be a chucker but probably unreliable too.

Norm is going to have to bring it off the bench.. especially if TD is on the outs. Fred and Pascal have to become a lot more reliable. And Lowry might have to have a throw back year.

Do u think they're going to trade/release him?
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X