Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    Serge and Marc averaged about 23ppg (15 and 8). Baynes isn't a scorer (averaged under 6ppg with Boston, 11.5ppg with Phoenix). Neither really is Len (most was 9ppg per year in his 3rd year).
    So, 11.5 + 9 = 20.5ppg

I'm pretty sure the dowgrade will be be mostly on the defensive end, where Gasol is hard to replace.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

A number of people have asked "do you think Masai didn't have a plan B and C"?
      Well I think plan A was to sign FVV. Done.
      Plan B was to sign Serge to a one year 12.5M deal. Failed
      Plan C was to sign Gasol to a one year XM deal. Failed.
      Plan D was to sign any of a number of lesser but insignificant serviceable big bodies. A number of them went by the wayside and then.... Baynes and Len. Baynes is a downgrade but OK and Len is likely just .... available. He's a former 1st round pick that's only OK and will be fighting for garbage minutes.
      Don't get caught up in tactics to support a strategy.

FVV was the get.
      He matches the age range of the teams new core and best players.
      Pascal OG and Fred.
      Serge and Marc are still good players but just not for the next stages of these Raptors.
      Kyle will get a look at if he wants to take on a father raptor deal in a year from now.

The strategy is and has been for a couple of years is be able to take your swings if the best young player in a while comes to the open market market in 2021. Giannas isn't a Lebron/Klutch sports client which means there might actually be an open market bidding process. To play you have to have a max slot while also showing you are competitive with a good young team thats been there and done that and all that is missing you Alpahabet and that team can legitimately contend. The Raps are doing that.

If Giannas says he is staying in Milwaukee early in the process or says no to Toronto as one of the legit suitors if he does hit free agency then so be it.
      You took your shot and then you slide seamlessly to the rebuild with the cap space to absorb contracts for draft picks.
      Its the way of the NBA.
      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Nov 23, 2020, 05:58 PM.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Serge and Marc averaged about 23ppg (15 and 8). Baynes isn't a scorer (averaged under 6ppg with Boston, 11.5ppg with Phoenix). Neither really is Len (most was 9ppg per year in his 3rd year). Boucher can be a chucker but probably unreliable too.

Norm is going to have to bring it off the bench.. especially if TD is on the outs. Fred and Pascal have to become a lot more reliable. And Lowry might have to have a throw back year.

Boucher puts the ball in the hoop. There's a reason he's got good productivity stats (PER of 20.7). Len's aren't bad either (17).

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Don't get caught up in tactics to support a strategy.

FVV was the get.
          He matches the age range of the teams new core and best players.
          Pascal OG and Fred.
          Serge and Marc are still good players but just not for the next stages of these Raptors.
          Kyle will get a look at if he wants to take on a father raptor deal in a year from now.

The strategy is and has been for a couple of years is be able to take your swings if the best young player in a while comes to the open market market in 2021. Giannas isn't a Lebron/Klutch sports client which means there might actually be an open market bidding process. To play you have to have a max slot while also showing you are competitive with a good young team thats been there and done that and all that is missing you Alpahabet and that team can legitimately contend. The Raps are doing that.

If Giannas says he is staying in Milwaukee early in the process or says no to Toronto as one of the legit suitors if he does hit free agency then so be it.
          You took your shot and then you slide seamlessly to the rebuild with the cap space to absorb contracts for draft picks.
          Its the way of the NBA.
          Exactamundo.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            I'd call this Plan A. Plan A was to protect cap space for 2021, re-sign Fred, then fill out the roster.

They knew Gasol and Ibaka were long shots based on the offers. Look at how fast they signed Baynes and Boucher as soon as Gasol went to LA. That's exactly what Masai and Bobby expected to happen. But you still play it out, give Ibaka and Gasol the offers that are really about your long term plan and not about them, then move on to your real targets as soon as they turn down your offer for either a better contract or immediate chance to contend.

They could have thrown the bag at Ibaka and Gasol and kissed the 2021 cap space goodbye. They didn't, they didn't want to, and they would be well aware of what that meant re: exactly how enticing the offers were (weren't) that they put on the table. It's a business, they all understand that, they all moved on.

Did anyone expect them to re-sign all three guys and maintain cap space? I don't think anyone here did. Why does it feel like Plan D that we're where we're at now? This was all expected given the priorities.

Gasol or Ibaka taking a hometown discount to play a gap year in Toronto at this stage in their careers instead of going to a contender would have been nice, sure. It was also always unlikely.
            Spot on.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              Likely 8-man rotation? Lowry/FVV/Norm/McCaw (is what it is) - Siakam/OG/Boucher/Baynes? Thomas and Davis fighting for the odd scrap of playing time at 9 and 10. Anyone else who can crack that rotation outside of injury or guys resting?
              take davis out of the equation

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Do u think they're going to trade/release him?
                Unpopular opinion but, assuming TD is guilty (big assumption there), then I would guarantee his contract and use him as a trade chip. Once he's under contract, they could suspend him, or tell him to stay away from the team while they try to facilitate a trade.

Let's say, for example, we knew Giannis was coming and we wanted to make a play for Beal or Harden. The formula is: All-Star + young prospect + picks. Siakam + TD + FRP would be a very nice get for the Wizards or Rockets.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Boucher puts the ball in the hoop. There's a reason he's got good productivity stats (PER of 20.7). Len's aren't bad either (17).
                  I like the +19.7 net rating when Boucher plays > 20MPG. Wowzers.

Ok, small sample, but still. He looks awkward AF, but he's effective out there.

Comment

• Also folks, don't worry about Alex Len. I had him on the Raptors on my NBA 2K15 general manager play through and he went beast mode

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Hopefully he's working his azz off this off season. Go to the buffets where Vlad Jr of the Jays hangs out ....

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I'm guessing context for this would be lots of garbage time in blow outs though?

But yeah there's some untapped potential on this team. Last year guys like TD and Matt Thomas pretty clearly could have gotten more run, but there was too much talent in the top 7. A couple of those guys up the depth chart are gone, now the guys from 8-11 who showed promise get a chance to crack the regular rotation. And you've brought in a couple rookies and Baynes and Len. There are actually enough good players here for a deep rotation. We'll see if it's able to replace what they lost from Gasol/Ibaka, it is hard for young guys/depth players to replicate what vets like that give you. But I don't expect much drop off, the talent depth and the developing core (Fred/Siakam/OG) should absorb the difference, imho.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post
                          ...As a fan, I will always hope that whatever they do works, just want to see the team be good, regardless if it's internal development, FA, trade or draft.
                          You're not just a fan, you are a very lucky fan. They've been good, historically good, for the last 4 or 5 years. I hear you with regards to a slight chance to sign Giannis. But if there is a $50,000,000.00 prize available next year, and they are only going to sell 50,000,000 tickets, and you can buy them at 50 cents each, you buy all you can. The payoff vs the cost is great.

Comment

• I think Masai isn't running on just hope. He knows Giannis (lets play golf together after the season) and while nothing is guaranteed. it wouldn't surprise me if Giannis told him that if he doesn't re-sign with Milwaukee, that he'll take a meeting about Toronto.

Its not 100% but its not 1% either. Even America media puts Toronto's name around Giannis (which kills them to do) because its very credible.

Comment

• When is the deadline for Giannis to sign an extension with Milwaukee?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                When is the deadline for Giannis to sign an extension with Milwaukee?
                                Believe its December 22. Speculation is Giannis signs supermax when he comes over from Greece. Would mean we should know in a week or so, which I believe is when training camps start.

Comment

Working...
                                X