X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    Miami can't get Giannis if this goes through:

It's done pending a physical:

Adebayo and the Miami Heat agreed on a five-year extension that will be worth at least $163 million, the team and Adebayo's agent Alex Saratsis said Tuesday. The contract has not been signed and won't be until Adebayo completes a physical, something that is likely to occur in the next few days.

It will be the richest contract in terms of total value in Heat history.

Comment

• inthepaint wrote: View Post

Well, if they don't have to worry about it, why should we then? Not directing this question specifically at you but, wondering why is it that we have to bend over backwards to limit everyone's contract and fill the roster with bunch of 1-yr deals so we keep the space, while with other team's it's like "oh, they'll find a way if he wants to go there"

Miami (and all teams) should have the same rules/constraints as us in terms of cap and trade wiggle room. If they think they can get Giannis via trade if he asks to go there, we should in theory be able to do the same if he asks to come here through trade (in which case it probably would have helped if we retained our assets with bite-size contracts to facilitate a potential trade rather then letting them walk for nothing).

I still think that if you want Giannis, you save the cap space for his free agency, because hoping that he demands a trade specifically to your team is even more unlikely than him just leaving Milwaukee and choosing your very team in free agency (which is also unlikely).
      I dont want to totally make it sound like its easy for Miami, cause they may have to give up a lot to free up space, and there is something to maintaining flexibility. That being said, Miami and Clippers both went from cap hell with limited draft capital to aquiring stars and contenders within like a year.

I dont say this to get down on the Raps, cause there were few options and I actually liked the guys we brought in. I just want to acknowledge the opportunity cost of waiting on Gasol/Ibaka rather than using cap space in a trade or signing - which could have netted an extra asset.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

I dont want to totally make it sound like its easy for Miami, cause they may have to give up a lot to free up space, and there is something to maintaining flexibility. That being said, Miami and Clippers both went from cap hell with limited draft capital to aquiring stars and contenders within like a year.

I dont say this to get down on the Raps, cause there were few options and I actually liked the guys we brought in. I just want to acknowledge the opportunity cost of waiting on Gasol/Ibaka rather than using cap space in a trade or signing - which could have netted an extra asset.
        I think the general point is where there is a will there is a way. However, Miami would have to make more sacrifices to make it happen, whereas, Toronto won't have to make those same sacrifices next season. which theoretically puts them in a better position overall.

A lot of it has to do with personnel as well. For Miami, given his role and future it makes sense to keep Bam happy and deal with the repercussions later. For Toronto, it makes no sense to create obstacles with contracts for guys like Ibaka and/or Gasol who aren't part of the plan going forward or to sign and trade them for other bit pieces when the roster is already overflowing.

Comment

• Hawks have a pretty good starting 5 now.
          Trae.
          Bogdon
          Gallo
          Collins
          Capela

Still got young guys with potential off the bench too. They building that team pretty well
          To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• If anything the bam extension just adds more options for us.
            If Giannis wants to go to Miami they have to move Bam and we can get in on those sweepstakes

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
              Hawks have a pretty good starting 5 now.
              Trae.
              Bogdon
              Gallo
              Collins
              Capela

Still got young guys with potential off the bench too. They building that team pretty well
              Sacto just declined to match, hey? Just saw.

ATL definitely much improved. I think they make it to the postseason finally next season.

Comment

If anything the bam extension just adds more options for us.
                If Giannis wants to go to Miami they have to move Bam and we can get in on those sweepstakes
                Good point. Wouldn't be the worst consolation prize of the myriad of ways things could go down next offseason.

Comment

Hawks have a pretty good starting 5 now.
                  Trae.
                  Bogdon
                  Gallo
                  Collins
                  Capela

Rondo, Huerter, Hunter, Dunn,..
                  Barring any injury, they can go deep in the playoffs

Comment

Nah, if Giannis wants to go to Miami they probably work out a SnT with Milwaukee and maybe a third team to take some of Miami's outgoing salary. It would probably cost them assets but they'd hold onto Bam in the process. But they don't have cap room for the leverage, so it will cost them more than your typical SnT for a big name free agent, and Milwaukee might be hard to convince to cooperate.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I hate 2 break it 2 you..but there not getting rid of Bam, they have money 2 sign max guy, Kelly olynyk is free agent 13.5 million off the books, Igudala 15 million team option off the books, there still in great cap situation, they might loose Duncan Robinson and Tyler hero still on rookie contract, this signing doesn't hurt alot of maimi..plus I don't want Bam..I want Giannis.
                      "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                      My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post

I hate 2 break it 2 you..but there not getting rid of Bam, they have money 2 sign max guy, Kelly olynyk is free agent 13.5 million off the books, Igudala 15 million team option off the books, there still in great cap situation, they might loose Duncan Robinson and Tyler hero still on rookie contract, this signing doesn't hurt alot of maimi..plus I don't want Bam..I want Giannis.
                        Well, no, they don't have cap room to sign a max guy. Having expiring contracts doesn't mean they have cap room.

But they can probably make a SnT work. It'll just be costly.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The other consideration with Giannis is he almost certainly wants to sign a 2+1 deal if he leaves, he can recoup most of the losses from turning down the early supermax by opting out after 2 years and signing a supermax at that point (as he'd be a 10 year vet at that point) compared to signing a longer deal 3 or 4 years long. In a sign and trade, he can't - you have to have 3 years, not including any option years. So Giannis may not be particularly open to a sign and trade option.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Nah, if Giannis wants to go to Miami they probably work out a SnT with Milwaukee and maybe a third team to take some of Miami's outgoing salary. It would probably cost them assets but they'd hold onto Bam in the process. But they don't have cap room for the leverage, so it will cost them more than your typical SnT for a big name free agent, and Milwaukee might be hard to convince to cooperate.
                            How are they going to build any sort of team with 3 guys on max contracts? Or even fill out a roster with 3 players getting 100 mil..
                            Last edited by bertarapsfan; Wed Nov 25, 2020, 12:25 AM.

Comment

How are they going to build any sort of team with 3 guys on max contracts? Or even fill out a roster with 3 players getting 100 mil..
                              Isn't that what Miami already did with the previous "Big 3" of James, Wade and Bosh? Pretty sure all 3 of them were Max-ish, everyone took a slight cut, but mostly ya.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

Isn't that what Miami already did with the previous "Big 3" of James, Wade and Bosh? Pretty sure all 3 of them were Max-ish, everyone took a slight cut, but mostly ya.
                                4 or 5 million from each guy is quite a bit. But jimmy and bam are locked into the max so they'd be asking Giannis to take a cut. I'm just wondering the logistics of caring g 12 guys whe 3 dude make 100 mil. Like can they even do that maxing out 2 way contracts and vet minimums. Any guy they would have bird rights would have to go to make cap room I would think.

Comment

Working...
                                X