No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I missed the terms of some of our signings. Were the non Freds second year team options or straight non-guarenteed?

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

4 or 5 million from each guy is quite a bit. But jimmy and bam are locked into the max so they'd be asking Giannis to take a cut. I'm just wondering the logistics of caring g 12 guys whe 3 dude make 100 mil. Like can they even do that maxing out 2 way contracts and vet minimums. Any guy they would have bird rights would have to go to make cap room I would think.
      I mean it wouldn't be the first time. Lots of Championship teams just surround their stars with role players. And looking at the new report, might have been a good move after all:
      Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald:
      A source who knows Antetokounmpo well said he would be more impressed by the Heat giving Adebayo the extension now than asking Adebayo to wait a year for the purpose of making it easier for the Heat to acquire Antetokounmpo.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-gian...220022494.html

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Sacto just declined to match, hey? Just saw.

ATL definitely much improved. I think they make it to the postseason finally next season.
        Yep ATL makes it in while Orlando tumbles out.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

4 or 5 million from each guy is quite a bit. But jimmy and bam are locked into the max so they'd be asking Giannis to take a cut. I'm just wondering the logistics of caring g 12 guys whe 3 dude make 100 mil. Like can they even do that maxing out 2 way contracts and vet minimums. Any guy they would have bird rights would have to go to make cap room I would think.
          It's not that hard. As long as they can swing the sign and trade math to get his contract in the door, they'd be able to add with the MLE and then minimum salaries.

Soft cap. If they want to be able to use cap space, then yes, it is very difficult with two guys on max deals already, but they are not going to be able to use cap space, they'll need to send out salary in a sign and trade and end up already over the cap.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
            Think I missed the terms of some of our signings. Were the non Freds second year team options or straight non-guarenteed?
            No team options, all non-guaranteed. No details on guarantee dates yet.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Anyone have a summary of the type of defense we can expect from Baynes and Len? On a scale of Gasol to Bargnani, what are we talking about here?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                Anyone have a summary of the type of defense we can expect from Baynes and Len? On a scale of Gasol to Bargnani, what are we talking about here?
                I'm not an expert on these guys but from what I see they're both helpful as big bodies, neither will have Gasol's defensive awareness though that helps him get around the floor to the right spots all the time and quarterback the defence. Baynes uses his size to create space and block out really well. He's mobile enough for a guy his size to cover out to the perimeter as well as can be expected. He'll rebound well.

Len is what you'd expect from an underachieving high lottery pick. It looks like all the tools are there but it doesn't all come together on the floor. Not always in the right place/right time, making the right reads, etc. But athletic and long, can challenge shots, can rebound.

It'll be interesting to see both guys in the Raptors system. It's well established, well coached, and has great veteran leadership. That might help these guys look better in a team defence than they did on crappy teams.

Gasol's man-to-man post defence is also better than any of them, we may not have quite as much fun vs Embiid this season.

Edit: tbh I won't entirely miss Ibaka defensively. He got help side blocks but he'd also get out of position and blow occasional coverages/rotations. When the other team had some clear lane to the basket and monster dunk, almost guaranteed it was when Ibaka was on the floor and a rotation had fallen apart. That kind of easy bucket almost never happened with Gasol out there, it was extremely rare. We will probably see a few more of those with Baynes/Len at the 5 - not necessarily bad or anything, just not quite as good as when you have Marc Gasol.
                Last edited by S.R.; Wed Nov 25, 2020, 11:43 AM.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  Anyone have a summary of the type of defense we can expect from Baynes and Len? On a scale of Gasol to Bargnani, what are we talking about here?
                  this is from Hawks Preview Article for 2019-2020

Most of the improvement that Len needs to demonstrate as to grow his value is on the defensive end of the court. He is a solid rim protector. Opponents converted 57.6 percent of shots inside of six feet when Len was defending in the paint last season, which is not a significant distant from the best shot blockers in the league, such as Rudy Gobert (51.6 percent) and Joel Embiid (52.2 percent). However, that’s not going to be quite good enough for a big man that is largely limited to drop coverage when defending the pick-and-roll. He’s a good athlete for a player that measures in at 7’1 and 250 pounds, so if he shows some improvement this season in defending on the perimeter, or at least at the point of attack in ball screen actions, it would not be completely unexpected.
                  This is from Kings article

The Kings are 6-3 with Len in the lineup, and they have a plus-10.7 point differential with him on the floor, per Cleaning the Glass. His real impact has come on the defensive end. Len’s mere presence in the lane is a deterrent for opposing players, and that was immediately clear against the Clippers in his first game with Sacramento.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...805564931?s=21

that is 27 million expiring contract for Batum, huge chunk to free more space next season.

will a Norm/ McCaw/Stanley and one of the newly acquired big do it?

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                      https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...805564931?s=21

that is 27 million expiring contract for Batum, huge chunk to free more space next season.

will a Norm/ McCaw/Stanley and one of the newly acquired big do it?
                      I'd rather have Norm for the year than Batum.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I'd rather have Norm for the year than Batum.
                        My fear is he would exercise his 11.6mil player option, wanting to free the team off of that to have more flexibility

has nothing to do of their respective team impact, more so about cap space

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

I'm not an expert on these guys but from what I see they're both helpful as big bodies, neither will have Gasol's defensive awareness though that helps him get around the floor to the right spots all the time and quarterback the defence. Baynes uses his size to create space and block out really well. He's mobile enough for a guy his size to cover out to the perimeter as well as can be expected. He'll rebound well.

Len is what you'd expect from an underachieving high lottery pick. It looks like all the tools are there but it doesn't all come together on the floor. Not always in the right place/right time, making the right reads, etc. But athletic and long, can challenge shots, can rebound.

It'll be interesting to see both guys in the Raptors system. It's well established, well coached, and has great veteran leadership. That might help these guys look better in a team defence than they did on crappy teams.

Gasol's man-to-man post defence is also better than any of them, we may not have quite as much fun vs Embiid this season.

Edit: tbh I won't entirely miss Ibaka defensively. He got help side blocks but he'd also get out of position and blow occasional coverages/rotations. When the other team had some clear lane to the basket and monster dunk, almost guaranteed it was when Ibaka was on the floor and a rotation had fallen apart. That kind of easy bucket almost never happened with Gasol out there, it was extremely rare. We will probably see a few more of those with Baynes/Len at the 5 - not necessarily bad or anything, just not quite as good as when you have Marc Gasol.
                          The two are kind of middling. Len has nice impact numbers defensively (disaster on offence). Baynes is mediocre like Ibaka defensively (and mediocre on offence as well).

Len is very much a JV type of defender, stay in the paint, drop defence guy. Can be effective in that role. Baynes has a little bit of footspeed, more so than Ibaka but probably not by much, and comparable rim protection to Ibaka, but doesn't IMO have the high end defensive IQ like Gasol had. Can survive on the perimeter a bit but it's an adventure sometimes.

Team will likely take a step back defensively sans Gasol. Hope would be the offence can improve some to make up the difference, and that in end game situations we can ramp up our defence with some small ball options (OG at C does appear to be a cheat code).
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

My fear is he would exercise his 11.6mil player option, wanting to free the team off of that to have more flexibility

I don't think he will.. he's worth about what Bogdan got IMO. But yeah its a gamble. If he opts in, we'll probably have to package a pick to trade him so that we can get some cap space back.

I'd rather hold on to him for the year though. I'm not even sure if Batum has anything left in him. He's been cooked for awhile.

Comment

No reason for the Raptors to do this. If they want to trade Norm for an expiring I'm sure that deal is out there.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I don't think he will.. he's worth about what Bogdan got IMO. But yeah its a gamble. If he opts in, we'll probably have to package a pick to trade him so that we can get some cap space back.

I'd rather hold on to him for the year though. I'm not even sure if Batum has anything left in him. He's been cooked for awhile.
                                No question, Batum is close to being done but he is playing for a new contract, that could give him extra motivation, I dont know.

However what you said will happen that Norm decide to opt in next season, then it would be disadvantageous to package him next year if we include a pick (hate to give up a pick).

Team will try to be competitive but Masai is so set of his objective to maximize flexibility in next year’s free agency, I dont doubt he would pull the trigger like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X