No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 27 million expiring contract up front can be rolled over for Masai to acquire another game changer like Beal if he becomes available mid season (Wizards changing course to rebuild) without losing the core of Van Vleet/ OG and Siakam.
    Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Wed Nov 25, 2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

• Hard to gauge the desperation of Charlotte to get rid of the contract of Batum and their hesitance to stretch the money if they cannot find a 3rd team.

...if I am an acquiring team who is also after cap space flexibility for next season’s “big”free agency, I would be cautious to acquire someone with a player option.

But if Charlotte is that desperate to find a 3rd team then that’s is how opportunist like Masai can join in.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
        27 million expiring contract up front can be rolled over for Masai to acquire another game changer like Beal if he becomes available mid season (Wizards changing course to rebuild) without losing the core of Van Vleet/ OG and Siakam.
        To bring in a 27M expiring you have to send out over 21M in salary. Raps would have to send TD and Hernandez along with Powell, McCaw and Johnson. But Charlotte has to be able to bring in Hayward's salary too, which will start at least 27.9M. So the most salary they can absorb along with his would be 6.1M. TD is on a two year minimum deal so can be absorbed with the minimum exception. Hernandez is not so his 1.5M has to be absorbed via trade matching or exception.

Boston has the ability to bring back salary since they are involved in the trade, but they probably want to maximize their TPE. Not sure how I feel about sending them Norm either, but I like the idea of sending them McCaw or Johnson...

So, maybe this:

Boston gets Norm, McCaw/Johnson, Hernandez
        Charlotte gets Hayward, Johnson/McCaw, TD
        Toronto gets Batum, draft compensation

We go into the tax to do this. So I imagine a) we wouldn't do it and b) if we did we'd ask for at least a 1st rounder from Charlotte, and I doubt they would be willing to send out that kind of asset to save a cap hit.

Personally I don't really like the proposal. But technically possible, even if the tax implications suggest we wouldn't do this.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

To bring in a 27M expiring you have to send out over 21M in salary. Raps would have to send TD and Hernandez along with Powell, McCaw and Johnson. But Charlotte has to be able to bring in Hayward's salary too, which will start at least 27.9M. So the most salary they can absorb along with his would be 6.1M. TD is on a two year minimum deal so can be absorbed with the minimum exception. Hernandez is not so his 1.5M has to be absorbed via trade matching or exception.

Boston has the ability to bring back salary since they are involved in the trade, but they probably want to maximize their TPE. Not sure how I feel about sending them Norm either, but I like the idea of sending them McCaw or Johnson...

So, maybe this:

Boston gets Norm, McCaw/Johnson, Hernandez
          Charlotte gets Hayward, Johnson/McCaw, TD
          Toronto gets Batum, draft compensation

We go into the tax to do this. So I imagine a) we wouldn't do it and b) if we did we'd ask for at least a 1st rounder from Charlotte, and I doubt they would be willing to send out that kind of asset to save a cap hit.

Personally I don't really like the proposal. But technically possible, even if the tax implications suggest we wouldn't do this.
          Based on Woj’s tweet, they seem not liking the idea of stretching his contract but who knows. You added a caveat of them having to add a pick to save a cap hit so again boils down to how desperate they are.

As far as the tax impact for the Raptors, Masai most likely can sell it to MLSE with the “set goal” for next free agency. I mentioned earlier about rolling over mid-season trade deadline if their is a game changer available. It would still not affect max cap space flexibility if we flip that 27M expiring for a Beal (28M), correct me if Im wrong.

Comment

Based on Woj’s tweet, they seem not liking the idea of stretching his contract but who knows. You added a caveat of them having to add a pick to save a cap hit so again boils down to how desperate they are.

As far as the tax impact for the Raptors, Masai most likely can sell it to MLSE with the “set goal” for next free agency. I mentioned earlier about rolling over mid-season trade deadline if their is a game changer available. It would still not affect max cap space flexibility if we flip that 27M expiring for a Beal (28M), correct me if Im wrong.
            Masai hates going into tax.. he's given up multiple second round picks in the past to duck it. And that was with Kawhi on the roster. I don't think he's going to go into the tax before he has a guy like Giannis or Beal on his roster.

As for Beal.. I would suspect Washington would want a young player with picks over a large expiring contract. Washington without Beal is not going to be a free agent destination. So that cap space is pretty much useless to them. I think they might trade him for a package that included either Fred or OG though.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Masai hates going into tax.. he's given up multiple second round picks in the past to duck it. And that was with Kawhi on the roster. I don't think he's going to go into the tax before he has a guy like Giannis or Beal on his roster.

As for Beal.. I would suspect Washington would want a young player with picks over a large expiring contract. Washington without Beal is not going to be a free agent destination. So that cap space is pretty much useless to them. I think they might trade him for a package that included either Fred or OG though.

So not necessarily useless, 27 million expiring is a full reset for Washington without Beal.
              Masai will probably let go of future picks to acquire a Beal.

If MLSE bought Moderna stocks at 65$ per share 6 months ago, would be a great investment and can afford to shell out 6 million tax penalty lol

Comment

No, that would kill our cap space. We can't take on any other long term salary - literally just Pascal, OG, Fred and the draft picks and minimum salaries we have on the roster. That's it.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

So not necessarily useless, 27 million expiring is a full reset for Washington without Beal.
                  Masai will probably let go of future picks to acquire a Beal.

If MLSE bought Moderna stocks at 65$ per share 6 months ago, would be a great investment and can afford to shell out 6 million tax penalty lol
                  It's not about the tax penalty this year. It's about the years of deep tax the Raptors will go into once they land a superstar. If say they do get Giannis, they will want to be able to enter the tax immediately. After three years, they'll be in repeater tax territory, which means huge tax bills. But if they go into the tax now, they'll be in repeater territory 2 years earlier. Not good for adding talent around a star while turning a profit.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Comment

No, that would kill our cap space. We can't take on any other long term salary - literally just Pascal, OG, Fred and the draft picks and minimum salaries we have on the roster. That's it.
                      But they have the option to not deplete the max space by not extending OG until after they acquire the free agent they intend to give the maximum salary, is it not? They can as well restructure the salary of Beal of they acquire him mid-season

Comment

It's not about the tax penalty this year. It's about the years of deep tax the Raptors will go into once they land a superstar. If say they do get Giannis, they will want to be able to enter the tax immediately. After three years, they'll be in repeater tax territory, which means huge tax bills. But if they go into the tax now, they'll be in repeater territory 2 years earlier. Not good for adding talent around a star while turning a profit.
                        That will not preclude MLSE to pay-out the lux threshold penalty just to acquire a transcendent superstar to build around. Or make moves by dumping existing salaries to avoid the repeater.

Comment

• The Kings have signed calming influence and all round hustle guy Hassan Whiteside.

Knicks west.

My condolences to the remaining 174 Kings fans.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

But they have the option to not deplete the max space by not extending OG until after they acquire the free agent they intend to give the maximum salary, is it not? They can as well restructure the salary of Beal of they acquire him mid-season
                            No, they cannot do that. OG is a pending FA, so his cap hold will sit on the books in the summer and then they can re-sign him to a higher number. It is not possible to restructure a player's contract once it is signed, not to decrease cap hit. Certainly not to decrease Beal's cap hit to the literal minimum salary it would need to be.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

That will not preclude MLSE to pay-out the lux threshold penalty just to acquire a transcendent superstar to build around. Or make moves by dumping existing salaries to avoid the repeater.
                              There are lots of ways to deal with the situation. There is one smart way, and that is by not going into the tax for this clear placeholder season.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

No, they cannot do that. OG is a pending FA, so his cap hold will sit on the books in the summer and then they can re-sign him to a higher number. It is not possible to restructure a player's contract once it is signed, not to decrease cap hit. Certainly not to decrease Beal's cap hit to the literal minimum salary it would need to be.
                                Because I have so much free time today, lol...please indulge me.

If they trade for Batum, then flip that to acquire Beal mid season, how much is left in dollars to acquire a free agent with all of the non-guaranteed contracts of newly acquired 2020 FAs, all the players mentioned included in the Batum trade off the books and the remaining contracts of Pascal/ Van Vleet/ Matt Thomas/ Rookie Flynn/ Harris (most likely a 2way) and the QO of OG?

Comment

Working...
                                X