No announcement yet.

Everything Off Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could be as simple as a team that would allow him to be a ring chaser hadn't appeared, then did

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      I don't totally get this tbh. Serge seemed pretty upset in his presser yesterday. He was that bothered by $12m offer vs $9m+$9m offer? I mean Toronto literally offered him more money to play basketball next year in a situation he apparently loved. LA offered him an extra year (not a 3 or 4 year deal) - a year in which Kawhi and PG might not be there and Serge might be using his PO to decide if he wants to be on a lottery team with Lou Williams or not? That's what ticked him off and forced a last second recalibration?

Does that not totally add up got anyone else? What am I missing. If he stayed in Toronto, he'd sign another contract next summer. He'd still be good. Gasol wasn't going to be here. He'd have probably been starting.
      I wonder how accurate that $12M offer was? Maybe it was closer to $10M for 1 season. And Serge really wanted the option. We are in a pandemic and centers generally don't get taken care of in the NBA.

If we gave him $12M we'd be knocking at the luxury tax. Maybe we wanted a bit of flexibility to waive someone like Stanley Johnson if we wanted to. Even if it was $12M... $2M more without the second year option might have been tough for Serge to commit to.

But he did seem really sad about leaving. Add another ex Raptor that was sad to leave to the list.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I wonder how accurate that $12M offer was? Maybe it was closer to $10M for 1 season. And Serge really wanted the option. We are in a pandemic and centers generally don't get taken care of in the NBA.

If we gave him $12M we'd be knocking at the luxury tax. Maybe we wanted a bit of flexibility to waive someone like Stanley Johnson if we wanted to. Even if it was $12M... $2M more without the second year option might have been tough for Serge to commit to.

But he did seem really sad about leaving. Add another ex Raptor that was sad to leave to the list.
        I suspect the 12M was accurate, but he expected something multi-year at that number or higher.

I also suspect if he took the 12M, that would have impacted what we offered Boucher/Baynes.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Paying Fred made us lose Serge and then Kyle next year. Hope he’s worth it.
          On his own he's not worth it, but we've seen how well Freddy can play when he's on the court with great players and without the pressure of having to be the main guy. Masai is counting on that being the case if he can get Giannis.

Comment

Does that not totally add up got anyone else? What am I missing. If he stayed in Toronto, he'd sign another contract next summer. He'd still be good. Gasol wasn't going to be here. He'd have probably been starting.
            I don’t think he would sign another contract next summer with the Raptors. They were offering 1 year to keep the books clean for Giannis. If he comes they would have to renounce Serge’s cap hold next summer to have room for him. So it probably became clear Serge was not in the Raptors long term plans and he would be left looking for a crappy destination if the LA teams didn’t have room.

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

I don’t think he would sign another contract next summer with the Raptors. They were offering 1 year to keep the books clean for Giannis. If he comes they would have to renounce Serge’s cap hold next summer to have room for him. So it probably became clear Serge was not in the Raptors long term plans and he would be left looking for a crappy destination if the LA teams didn’t have room.
              It's still all kind of weird, the reaction vs what appear to be the facts. He got a 1+1 in LA, not a 3 or 4 year deal. If he had a 3+ year deal on the table and the Raptors offered him 1, I'd understand. If he had $15+ on the table and the Raptors offered him $12, I'd understand. 'Best season of his career' '10 teams interested' etc. I mean a guy signing a 1+1 for $9m per is not signing a major deal at all, that's a depth piece deal. How someone offering you $12m is a major disappointment, if you really wanted to be there....I still don't really get it.

His LA deal looks like a ring chaser deal with the PO lining up with Kawhi/PG contracts and the low-ish annual amount. I wonder what other teams were willing to give him? I was surprised he only got $9m per tbh.
              ​​​​​
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

It's still all kind of weird, the reaction vs what appear to be the facts. He got a 1+1 in LA, not a 3 or 4 year deal. If he had a 3+ year deal on the table and the Raptors offered him 1, I'd understand. If he had $15+ on the table and the Raptors offered him $12, I'd understand. 'Best season of his career' '10 teams interested' etc. I mean a guy signing a 1+1 for $9m per is not signing a major deal at all, that's a depth piece deal. How someone offering you $12m is a major disappointment, if you really wanted to be there....I still don't really get it.

His LA deal looks like a ring chaser deal with the PO lining up with Kawhi/PG contracts and the low-ish annual amount. I wonder what other teams were willing to give him? I was surprised he only got $9m per tbh.
                ​​​​​
                The big money deals where a player went to a new team (like Grant, Hayward, Bogdanovich) were to non-contending teams.. since those were the teams with cap space. Serge probably wanted some term flexibility and a chance to win another chip. I'm sure a team like Charlotte or Detroit would have given him $15M+ but he took a pay cut to try and win. I mean I'm sure Detroit would have rather had Serge over Plumlee.

This off season really was about whether or not you wanted to get paid (like Hayward and Grant did) or if you wanted to win but take less (like Serge and Harrell). Next off season will be a big different since there will be a few contenders with cap space (like Dallas, Toronto, and Miami).

Comment

• Who asked this question?

Mamba Mentality

Comment

​​​​​
                    He's in the latter stages of his career. He's earned the right to go ring chasing if that's what it came down to.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

He's in the latter stages of his career. He's earned the right to go ring chasing if that's what it came down to.
                      For sure! But that's not what he's been talking about to media the last couple days. He's been saying he really wanted to be in Toronto but got low balled and had to leave for a better offer (my synopsis). He seems genuinely upset.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                        Who asked this question?

I can't handle it and I don't know how the players don't flip out more often. People complain about boiler plate athlete answers to interview questions, but they get completely asinine interview questions on a regular basis.

Nobody tell me when Doug Smith asks one of the new guys if they know what a 'toque' is then makes a joke about his favourite sports bar.

Comment

• SportsNet:
                          Patrick Mutombo has been named head coach of the Raptors 905, the team announced Friday.

John Bennett and Brittni Donaldson will be joining Mutombo as assistants. The previous Raptors 905 head coach, Jama Mahlalela, will be returning to Nick Nurse’s coaching staff.

Comment

Who asked this question?

someone from espn

Comment

Who asked this question?

ESPN reporter from Brazil.

Comment

• So the media all of a sudden are hyping the Bucks bec of Jrue Holiday? what are we doing here? Jrue played with Anthony Davis in Nola and they never come close to winning anything. Why? because if a big is your best player then you're not going to win anything. The Bucks still don't have that elite winger that they need.

The East imo like last year is wide open but if i had to pick i'm choosing Boston because of Tatum.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X