Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should raptors try and intercept Anthony Bennett?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanH wrote: View Post
    Really? First overall draft pick from Texas disappoints (due to crappy dysfunctional team, injury, fitness), shows promise at the end of his rookie season and during summer league, has low value and might be had for cheap, and no one would have any interest?

I personally was interested in buying low on Wesley Johnson (#2 overall pick) every year since his rookie year. Is he Canadian? Because I wouldn't want to accidentally want him here if he's not.
    I understand the theory of asset acquisition but is Bennett really a buy low candidate? He's a third of the offer for Kevin Love and was, for a while, the leading piece in the initial rumours until Wiggins was included.

While it's great that you have been targeting other guys, point is that many people are too quick to talk about acquiring Bennett (or even Wiggins, Ennis) just because they are Canadian and not because of any real plan. So while you may not be a part of the "trade for all Canucks" movement, there still seems to be plenty who are.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      I understand the theory of asset acquisition but is Bennett really a buy low candidate? He's a third of the offer for Kevin Love and was, for a while, the leading piece in the initial rumours until Wiggins was included.

While it's great that you have been targeting other guys, point is that many people are too quick to talk about acquiring Bennett (or even Wiggins, Ennis) just because they are Canadian and not because of any real plan. So while you may not be a part of the "trade for all Canucks" movement, there still seems to be plenty who are.
      Yep, I don't think he's "buy low" to a degree suggested in this thread. I don't think he's available for Patterson and a late pick. It sounds like his value is still pretty high, even though Minnesota played it very well and basically get him as a secondary piece.

I'd love to have him on this team. He's obviously a risk because of health and conditioning concerns. But talent is obvious too. A lot of Larry Johnson there. Power, handle, shooting ability, athleticism, length. I see people call him 'just a top 10 pick', not a legit no.1, and ok, that's fair because of those risks. High risk, but very high potential reward as well.

He seems to be in a great shape now, which is very encouraging. I think it would be a good gamble to get him for one of role players and a late pick, though I don't think it's realistic.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post

You have to realize too that the three you mentioned are all seemingly available. Assuming Wiggins plays and develops well, this is the best time to trade for him. Bennett is coming off of a terrible rookie year and this could also be the best time to get him, assuming he ends up rebounding after getting healthy and in shape. And Ennis is on a team loaded with pgs. Why not have a look at these guys?? Yes, people should not just want these guys BECAUSE they are Canadian but at the same time people should be interesting in acquiring talent at a good time, and this COULD be the opportune time. People have floated out the idea of going after Harrison Barnes or Terrance Jones, they are in a similar boat as Bennett. Don't assume that Raps fans want to get people because they are Canadian. (It would be a nice bonus though, right? Having a Canadian all-star.)

Comment

DogeLover123 wrote: View Post
          You have to realize too that the three you mentioned are all seemingly available. Assuming Wiggins plays and develops well, this is the best time to trade for him. Bennett is coming off of a terrible rookie year and this could also be the best time to get him, assuming he ends up rebounding after getting healthy and in shape. And Ennis is on a team loaded with pgs. Why not have a look at these guys?? Yes, people should not just want these guys BECAUSE they are Canadian but at the same time people should be interesting in acquiring talent at a good time, and this COULD be the opportune time. People have floated out the idea of going after Harrison Barnes or Terrance Jones, they are in a similar boat as Bennett. Don't assume that Raps fans want to get people because they are Canadian. (It would be a nice bonus though, right? Having a Canadian all-star.)
          Wiggins doesn't look available at all, unless a team can offer Kevin Love. But yes, it makes sense to wonder about the other two.

Comment

These guys aren't overly available. Cleveland is trading them for Kevin Love. We don't exactly have a comparable asset. Ennis would seem the most likely but he doesn't serve any need so why bother? He made sense as a draft pick if we were losing either KL or GV to free agency.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

The Cavs aren't moving Wiggins/Bennett on a whim though - they're doing it solely because that's what it will take to land them Kevin Love. I think you'd find that 95% of the league would technically be 'available' if the return was going to be Love or another top 10 player, so it's kind of a moot point.

As far as Ennis goes, I agree that a team that is motivated to land him may be best served to strike now when he's seemingly so low on the Suns PG depth chart. However for the Raptors specifically, it doesn't make much sense as he'd likely be the 3rd/4th PG option for our current team as well. So you'd be giving away an asset to land Ennis, just to bury him in our lineup. That's not a great use of assets and it probably makes the team worse in the short term.

Comment

You know it would be great to land all these Canadians but they are like every other prospect and pick. More than likely most DON'T work out.

Better to let them develop on another teams time and dime. If they become something, go after in free agency.

The exceptions of course are if they are best pick available when drafting or they can be acquired at a bargain like Bebe.
                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Aug 20, 2014, 03:01 PM. Reason: Most picks DON'T work out

Comment

Considering Wiggins, Stauskas and Ennis were top 20 and even Elfrid Payton has a CFL connection, wanting a Canadian isn't nationalism but just odds. Add Bennett and its hard to think of young players that aren't Canadian that are available. Even TT is available.

Comment

thats the gayest trade i ever heard, why risk it, we don't even know if he's even going to be good enough to stay in the NBA.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                      The Cavs aren't moving Wiggins/Bennett on a whim though - they're doing it solely because that's what it will take to land them Kevin Love. I think you'd find that 95% of the league would technically be 'available' if the return was going to be Love or another top 10 player, so it's kind of a moot point.

As far as Ennis goes, I agree that a team that is motivated to land him may be best served to strike now when he's seemingly so low on the Suns PG depth chart. However for the Raptors specifically, it doesn't make much sense as he'd likely be the 3rd/4th PG option for our current team as well. So you'd be giving away an asset to land Ennis, just to bury him in our lineup. That's not a great use of assets and it probably makes the team worse in the short term.
                      I totally agree with you on Ennis, I think the only reasonable time to have made a move for him was before signing Grevis. As for Bennett and Wiggins, from what I've heard Minny wants to win now, making their unknown prospects easier to get. They would trade Bennett or Wiggins for the right price it seems. I dont think it makes sense for the Raps to go after either of them now, but certainly this is the best time to get either or them. (Assuming they are going to play well)

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
                        That being said they would have loved to have picked up Ennis for both reasons
                        Hmm ... I think that was when they were unsure about resigning KLow7. They weren't so high on Ennis that they'd be willing to part with Ross and rightfully so. The only players I'd be willing to part with to get Ennis/Bennett are virtually untraceable: Hayes, Hansbrough &/or Fields.

Bennett might make a nice 3rd string PF but, I don't see him supplanting AJohnson or Patterson. Ennis is no threat to Vasquez or Lowry. To me, neither player is worth all the pining & wishful thinking that seems to pervade this forum. Lets see how Bennett does in Minnesota. I suspect he may be 3rd on the depth chart behind Young & Dieng. It may require another year to see what he can do. Ennis is fourth behind Dragic, Bledsoe & Thomas so we may have to wait 2 more years to see what his market value truly is.

If the Raptors were rebuilding, I might entertain some of these ideas but, trading away players who contributed to last year's success for unproven rookies & sophomores makes very little sense.

CORRECTION: Dieng is a center. Bennett may be able to supplant Hummel as the second string PF
                        Last edited by godkingleonidas; Fri Aug 22, 2014, 12:47 AM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          Also, 1st round picks are likely going to become more valuable in the future if the lottery odds are leveled off a bit. If they were assets you want to hang onto before, now you should be even more opposed to dealing them, and expected return should go up. I wouldn't give up a future 1st for Anthony Bennett, especially on top of another quality asset(s).
                          My guess is future 1st is more to offset Minnie taking Fields (IE 1st is a cost of Minn taking Fields).
                          To simplify: 2Pat for Bennett?
                          IMO: Our biggest strength last year was exceptional chemistry. You want to screw with it by swapping Bennett for 2Pat?
                          I don't think Bennett offers enough FUTURE potential to offset risk of upsetting chemistry.

Comment

Working...
                          X