No announcement yet.

Everything Malachi Flynn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My breakout Raptor player of the year this year. Let's go!

Flynn > Banton

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
      I agree with TRex, Flynn is much better than Banton. People have the home town boy blinders on. Flynn is way more polished, he’s the closest thing to a traditional pg that we have.

Two things are holding him back, size and his lack of of consistency. He has glimpses of being a good rotational guy; he can run the offence well, and hold up on D okay. If his 3 is falling, no doubt he’s in the top 9-10.

The ProAm stuff doesn’t impress me, an NBA defender would lock most of that down. Preseason will be a good indicator.
      Thank you.

I don't think size is the issue, the issue imo is consistency. He was terrific last year when he had to fill in for FVV when FVV was out and I thought he finally figured it out but then he got hurt as well. Nobody asked Flynn or Nick about that injury but that injury pretty much ended his season.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Thank you.

I don't think size is the issue, the issue imo is consistency. He was terrific last year when he had to fill in for FVV when FVV was out and I thought he finally figured it out but then he got hurt as well. Nobody asked Flynn or Nick about that injury but that injury pretty much ended his season.

Size isn't the PRIMARY issue. That said if he was 6'9 it wouldn't hurt him at all. He was decent for ... maybe 4-8 games all year.

As you said consistency... but he hasn't ever shown consistency. Maybe in spurts. Never for any consistent stretch. I would take less production than his best games more consistently ...

I don't know if I understand the last part that I bolded... what does that matter ? In terms of no one asking nick about the injury?

Comment

• Not many guards can hold up against Harden, but they were hunting down Flynn, he just couldn't handle Harden's strength.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
            Not many guards can hold up against Harden, but they were hunting down Flynn, he just couldn't handle Harden's strength.
            they were also hunting trent mind you harden is a strong guy

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

This is why keeping Bonga over Wainwright proved to be the wrong decision last season.

This is also why you should never dismiss a player just because he is your 15th guy, he may give you a few minutes here and there where is most needed.

Comment

Strong, and very crafty

Comment

• He looks like he's polished his game up considerably. He'll have his shot at 10th/11th man. (yes, I fully expect us to have an 11th man as we'll be running all over some of these fools)

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    He looks like he's polished his game up considerably. He'll have his shot at 10th/11th man. (yes, I fully expect us to have an 11th man as we'll be running all over some of these fools)
                    he is doing the same dribbling moves as before which waste a ton of energy and don't even shake his man.

Comment

• If he can be one of our more elite shooter-scorers, he can carve out that bench role - basically splitting the last rotation spot with Banton. I could also see Fred resting some games and Flynn getting the starting nod. But he better bring it because he's got some stiff competition.

Comment

If he can be one of our more elite shooter-scorers, he can carve out that bench role - basically splitting the last rotation spot with Banton. I could also see Fred resting some games and Flynn getting the starting nod. But he better bring it because he's got some stiff competition.
                        that is a big if he would have to significantly increase his shooting efficiency and do it at an increased volume.... he has shot 32 and 33 percent from 3... and has shot less than 40% from the field each year in his career.

I really don't see him being able to ramp that up so significantly that he will get minutes over other guys who can shoot .... I maintain he has to do other things... not saying he can abandon shooting but yeah.

Comment

that is a big if he would have to significantly increase his shooting efficiency and do it at an increased volume.... he has shot 32 and 33 percent from 3... and has shot less than 40% from the field each year in his career.

I really don't see him being able to ramp that up so significantly that he will get minutes over other guys who can shoot .... I maintain he has to do other things... not saying he can abandon shooting but yeah.
                          Of course he'll have to do other things, he'll be a primary ballhandler and distributor (in spot minutes). But he won't sniff the floor unless he can be aggressive and efficient with his shooting/scoring. Not unheard of for guys not drafted for their shooting to take a couple of years figuring out the NBA 3-ball (I just checked out Lowry's averages and didn't realize quite how hard he struggled with his 3-ball for a number of years).

Comment

he is doing the same dribbling moves as before which waste a ton of energy and don't even shake his man.
                            From the Pro-Ams, it also looks like Flynn is increasing his shooting range from well beyond the 3pt line. That is a new thing for him, I believe. If he can make those consistently, it will give him time & space to get his shots off vs. length. Tiny guards need that extra fraction of a second. Fred did the same thing after the 2019 Sixers series... and the rest is history.

Comment

Of course he'll have to do other things, he'll be a primary ballhandler and distributor (in spot minutes). But he won't sniff the floor unless he can be aggressive and efficient with his shooting/scoring. Not unheard of for guys not drafted for their shooting to take a couple of years figuring out the NBA 3-ball (I just checked out Lowry's averages and didn't realize quite how hard he struggled with his 3-ball for a number of years).
                              I will bet he won't shoot over 35%

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

From the Pro-Ams, it also looks like Flynn is increasing his shooting range from well beyond the 3pt line. That is a new thing for him, I believe. If he can make those consistently, it will give him time & space to get his shots off vs. length. Tiny guards need that extra fraction of a second. Fred did the same thing after the 2019 Sixers series... and the rest is history.
                                he may be the same size... he aint fred lets stop with the fred / lowry / flynn comparisons just because of their size. they all play different.

also I need to see it. I am not getting over hyped based on a guy only shooting in pro-am games.. games where no one is bigger than 6'4... it isn't even the drew league.... I do look at rico hines stuff but again I look at different things.. is the process different.. how does their body look.. are turn overs thrown... Banton has a lot of turn overs even in rico hine runs.

Comment

Working...
                                X