No announcement yet.

Everything Malachi Flynn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flynn reminds me a lot of Delon Wright. Not a bad player but he's just a guy. I don't see him being part of any core going forward. But he's still really young so who knows.

Comment

• Chauncey Billups just a guy too when he started

Sometimes some of these rooks are needing their repetitions right off the bat....their growth and development during their forming years depends on the Coach willingness to give them constant minutes, longer leash to make mistakes

Unless they are one in a life time generational talent.

A Project is a project needing patience.

we have so many of them this coming draft

Comment

• Some good to great players are late bloomers too

the 5 year window from the time they got drafted is a good timeline to develop but as I said...the first year and the sophomore year (year 2/ period that historically player most likely will fall in a slump) is crucial in their development

Team that is trying to win now especially when you have two 28 years old who are in some way have flaws in their games is not an ideal situation for a project to develop

Unless AGAIN someone from the draft is a game changer....but no guarantees

or Your team already has an existing no.1 option great enough to allow these rooks to develop NOT at the expense of winning

crossroads
        Last edited by The Claw Reborn; Fri May 7, 2021, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• He looks solid 2-ways. That’s a pretty great starting point for a rookie.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Flynn reminds me a lot of Delon Wright. Not a bad player but he's just a guy. I don't see him being part of any core going forward. But he's still really young so who knows.
            I think Flynn will be good in a few years, but I'm with those that would be a bit concerned if we hope to be competitive next season with Flynn as the primary back up for Fred. I don't think he could run the team if FVV went down with injury at some point next season.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I think Flynn will be good in a few years, but I'm with those that would be a bit concerned if we hope to be competitive next season with Flynn as the primary back up for Fred. I don't think he could run the team if FVV went down with injury at some point next season.
              Small sample size (11 games, below), but Flynn has been pretty solid when he's played more than 30MPG. Those numbers should naturally increase with more experience next year. Most players need regular minutes and role definition to find a positive rhythm, especially offensive players and shooters. Also, with the way Flynn plays PG, his teammates would need time to develop a chemistry with him. His style of play is completely different than FVV and a lot more unpredictable for the opposition.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Small sample size (11 games, below), but Flynn has been pretty solid when he's played more than 30MPG. Those numbers should naturally increase with more experience next year. Most players need regular minutes and role definition to find a positive rhythm, especially offensive players and shooters. Also, with the way Flynn plays PG, his teammates would need time to develop a chemistry with him. His style of play is completely different than FVV and a lot more unpredictable for the opposition.

Based on the fact his first year was a close repeat of FVV's first season, I would guess his role next year is very similar to Fred's second year: back-up guard playing about 20 MP (likely increasing up to ~20 as the season moves along). Obviously, a lot depends on what the roster looks like....

Comment

My concern isn't so much with him having a defined role and steady minutes. It's him being the primary back up to FVV with no third PG option. I'm not so confident he could take the reigns as a starter should Freddy be injured for example. A game here and there is fine, but not an extended duration of time. It's vastly different from not having a competent C through the season because everyone looks to the primary ball handler to initiate the offence. Perhaps he'll have a big summer and come back much improved and confident, but kid has looked shaky much of the season.

Comment

My concern isn't so much with him having a defined role and steady minutes. It's him being the primary back up to FVV with no third PG option. I'm not so confident he could take the reigns as a starter should Freddy be injured for example. A game here and there is fine, but not an extended duration of time. It's vastly different from not having a competent C through the season because everyone looks to the primary ball handler to initiate the offence. Perhaps he'll have a big summer and come back much improved and confident, but kid has looked shaky much of the season.
                    With Siakam on the roster, it's pretty easy to initiate our offense. Dribble the ball past half-court, get a screen and dribble hand-off or pitch pass the ball back to Pascal. I think even I could handle that. I mean, what else is Fred doing in the half-court offense that can't be replaced by Flynn? If anything, it's Fred's defense-to-offense transition that will be missed.

Comment

Has anyone said they should not have a third string PG?

But yes, if Fred goes down, Malachi should probably start, and whoever their third string is would play the backup minutes. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Has anyone said they should not have a third string PG?

But yes, if Fred goes down, Malachi should probably start, and whoever their third string is would play the backup minutes. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
                        Again, I'm not of the same opinion as you that Flynn can handle the starting duties as soon as next season. If it's another "down" year then sure in the name of development. If we have hopes of being competitive then I wouldn't want Flynn as the starter for a long duration as I don't think this version of him is ready. Perhaps he'll take big strides in the off season, but I wouldn't bet on it. He needs more time to develop.

Comment

With Siakam on the roster, it's pretty easy to initiate our offense. Dribble the ball past half-court, get a screen and dribble hand-off or pitch pass the ball back to Pascal. I think even I could handle that. I mean, what else is Fred doing in the half-court offense that can't be replaced by Flynn? If anything, it's Fred's defense-to-offense transition that will be missed.
                          You can't talk about Pascal dribbling the ball off his foot or stumbling when driving the ball all the time and then say he can initiate our offense. I mean sure he CAN do it but it's not the type of thing he can do at a high level.

Comment

• If Lowry is not back I really want to see an established vet PG with some size added to the roster. Someone like a Delon Wright, Ricky Rubio type. A late 20's early 30's guy that brings a different look when running a team and can play with FVV. Not sure who is available as a free agent, but maybe could be part of a sign and trade with Lowry. Flynn needs more time to develop, a vet would allow him to go to the G-league for assignment next year.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Geez, no one is advocating for Flynn to be a full time starter out the gate, he'd be starting in case of injury.

Also, guys, Flynn looks pretty good no? Absolutely no need for a G-League stint, he spent like a handful of games down there and it was immediately clear he was too good to gain much from it unless he's just not getting time in the big league. He needs NBA reps and should be getting 20 MPG next year as a backup.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I think Flynn is a decent backup right now, and he is only going to get better. I don’t know why people are down on him

Comment

Working...
                                X