Lowry/Vasquez

What did you do to fields?

Personally I would have it as this:

PG-Lowry Vasquez

SG-DeRozan, Williams

SF-Ross, Johnson, Bruno, Fields

PF-Johnson, Paterson, Hansbrough, Hayes

C-JV, Stiemsma, Bebe

I Think Fields may be cut but most if he comes in to camp with his shot back at a some what decent clip he will make it over Hamilton. Fields can defend 2-4 if necessary. I have seen the idea of giving him up for another contract and giving up a 2nd rounder to do so. I don't see the point in that. We may as well just bit his contract for this year and let it go towards getting a decent mid level free agent the following year.

As for bigs you never can have enough bigs even from an injury standpoint. While Amir can play the center position he is better off as a wing and putting less wear and tear on his body. Stiemsma will be a good body in camp as well as he will provide more stability so that our line up doesn't have to go so small when Jonas is off the floor.

As for the wing line ups I think cherry will get dropped because we already have Lowry and Greasy V. I think we will see Lou william playing in a lot of two guard line ups as well as playing the 3rd point guard position to close out games.

Comment

I'm just really not optimist toward Fields... He doesn't seem to have put much work in this summer. Hamilton is younger and he averaged almost 7 points per game with Houston last season. I would rather have him than Fields on the team, but I guess that Fields would be a more logical option...

Comment

PG: Lowry, Vasquez
        SG: Derozan, Williams, Fields
        SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno
        PF: Johnson, Patterson, Hansbrough
        C: JV, Steisma, Bebe, Hayes

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
          I'm just really not optimist toward Fields... He doesn't seem to have put much work in this summer. Hamilton is younger and he averaged almost 7 points per game with Houston last season. I would rather have him than Fields on the team, but I guess that Fields would be a more logical option...
          Do you know the statistical comparison between the two? I will admit I haven't done a lot of research on Hamilton just one quick video which isn't fair.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            How do you know this? Because he doesn't post any workout clips on twitter or instagram?
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

This is a tough question. I really like Hamilton's game, but he will almost never grace the floor. Unless James Johnson does something very silly to get himself nailed to the bench or off the roster, he will be the backup SF. Then comes Bruno, who will play limited minutes this season. Fields will probably remain on the team until he is traded or the season ends, stuck on the bench as a cheerleader. Therefore, the SF position will appear to have this hierarchy: Ross-Johnson-Bruno-Fields-Hamilton

Im not sure if Cherry will make the roster. Both Casey and Ujiri were stressing the need for a 3rd string PG, but it doesn't seem to be feasible, if at all necessary to have one. Williams and Vasquez are both combo guards, and both can interchange at the 2 guard spots like Bledsoe and Dragic do.

I don't think Hayes will be cut. I think that he will be retained as a possible trade piece along with Fields. He could be kept as well as a veteran presence. (Who else will hit their free throw line floaters in the playoffs?) If any team were to lose a big man over the course of the season, the Raptors could put themselves in a position to make a trade due to the team's extreme depth at the 3 and 5 spots.

Anyways, this is how I see the final roster:

PG:Lowry, GV,

SG: Derozan, Williams

SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno, Fields

PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough

Meaning Cherry, Hamilton, and anyone else I forgot to mention were cut.
              Last edited by YoungGunRaptor; Sun Sep 7, 2014, 09:39 PM.
              I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
              -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                This is a tough question. I really like Hamilton's game, but he will almost never grace the floor. Unless James Johnson does something very silly to get himself nailed to the bench or off the roster, he will be the backup SF. Then comes Bruno, who will play limited minutes this season. Fields will probably remain on the team until he is traded or the season ends, stuck on the bench as a cheerleader. Therefore, the SF position will appear to have this hierarchy: Ross-Johnson-Bruno-Fields-Hamilton

Im not sure if Cherry will make the roster. Both Casey and Ujiri were stressing the need for a 3rd string PG, but it doesn't seem to be feasible, if at all necessary to have one. Williams and Vasquez are both combo guards, and both can interchange at the 2 guard spots like Bledsoe and Dragic do.

I don't think Hayes will be cut. I think that he will be retained as a possible trade piece along with Fields. He could be kept as well as a veteran presence. (Who else will hit their free throw line floaters in the playoffs?) If any team were to lose a big man over the course of the season, the Raptors could put themselves in a position to make a trade due to the team's extreme depth at the 3 and 5 spots.

Anyways, this is how I see the final roster:

PG:Lowry, GV,

SG: Derozan, Williams

SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno, Fields

PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough

Meaning Cherry, Hamilton, and anyone else I forgot to mention were cut.
                I hope you're right. I do think we need Stiemsma more than Cherry and I never understood the Hamilton signing from the beginning anyway.
                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

JV / Nogueira / Hayes
                  Amir / Pat / Tyler
                  JJ / Caboclo / Fields (mostly because I don't think there's a likely option to trade him before the season starts)
                  DeMar / Lou / Ross
                  Lowry / Greivis / Cherry

I don't see Stiemsma as really adding anything. I like Hayes' presence and high IQ. He's a great vet, and good potential trade filler. Stiemsma is about as productive, and yeah he has more size and protects the rim better, but he's still pretty slow and his experience/IQ aren't going to stand out, or help our young Cs develop. Stiemsma is basically a guy who'll use his fouls.

If they really think they need a ready-to-play backup C, they could see what trades or random vet free agents are available during the season. The lack of Stiemsma isn't going to hurt us every night. To me it only makes sense to keep him if they already have a trade lined up to clear roster space. Again, looking in free agency they can find a big body capable of contesting shots and fouling a lot.

I would rather take Hamilton on than Fields, assuming the latter still can't shoot worth a damn. If Fields' shot is at all repaired, you keep him. He's a better all around player, and has a nice expiring deal. But yeah, if Fields' shot is still broken, you probably still have to go into the season with him until Ujiri can figure out a trade he likes. It's entirely possible Hamilton or some other decent end of bench option is still a free agent. So yeah, go with Fields, be patient looking for a trade if you have to, and just see who to pick up (probably from the D-League) if you open a spot in the year.

I take Cherry. If he's at all decent, even as a 3rd stringer, it's good to have the insurance as an extra ballhandler and PG who can fill a minor role in case of injuries. I think that makes a bigger difference than just a big goon like Stiemsma, and is much harder to find mid-season than any other position. Of course, if Cherry can't play worth a damn, you cut him and take one of Hamilton or Stiemsma, who have at least proved to be useful at times in the NBA.

EDIT: This would be a lot easier to do when we've seen some preseason ball.

*EDiT: Also I didn't write it as a depth chart. Obviously I see Ross starting at SF.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Sep 7, 2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    JV / Nogueira / Hayes
                    Amir / Pat / Tyler
                    JJ / Caboclo / Fields (mostly because I don't think there's a likely option to trade him before the season starts)
                    DeMar / Lou / Ross
                    Lowry / Greivis / Cherry

I don't see Stiemsma as really adding anything. I like Hayes' presence and high IQ. He's a great vet, and good potential trade filler. Stiemsma is about as productive, and yeah he has more size and protects the rim better, but he's still pretty slow and his experience/IQ aren't going to stand out, or help our young Cs develop. Stiemsma is basically a guy who'll use his fouls.

If they really think they need a ready-to-play backup C, they could see what trades or random vet free agents are available during the season. The lack of Stiemsma isn't going to hurt us every night. To me it only makes sense to keep him if they already have a trade lined up to clear roster space. Again, looking in free agency they can find a big body capable of contesting shots and fouling a lot.

I would rather take Hamilton on than Fields, assuming the latter still can't shoot worth a damn. If Fields' shot is at all repaired, you keep him. He's a better all around player, and has a nice expiring deal. But yeah, if Fields' shot is still broken, you probably still have to go into the season with him until Ujiri can figure out a trade he likes. It's entirely possible Hamilton or some other decent end of bench option is still a free agent. So yeah, go with Fields, be patient looking for a trade if you have to, and just see who to pick up (probably from the D-League) if you open a spot in the year.

I take Cherry. If he's at all decent, even as a 3rd stringer, it's good to have the insurance as an extra ballhandler and PG who can fill a minor role in case of injuries. I think that makes a bigger difference than just a big goon like Stiemsma, and is much harder to find mid-season than any other position. Of course, if Cherry can't play worth a damn, you cut him and take one of Hamilton or Stiemsma, who have at least proved to be useful at times in the NBA.

EDIT: This would be a lot easier to do when we've seen some preseason ball.
                    Agreed. I like Stiemsma better but I think you're right about the whole wait and see thing first. I'll use preseason to evaluate who should stay and who should go. But it's definitely between Stiemsma and Cherry for me. Hamilton only makes sense if you can get rid of Fields.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                      Agreed. I like Stiemsma better but I think you're right about the whole wait and see thing first. I'll use preseason to evaluate who should stay and who should go. But it's definitely between Stiemsma and Cherry for me. Hamilton only makes sense if you can get rid of Fields.
                      The thing is, is it likely you'll find an actual good trade for the team for Fields before the season starts? Is it worth it to dump him to sign a 6th wing? Or is it better to see, even if you have to wait as long as possible, if you can actually use him and his contract to get a good piece? I'd pick that last option. If using his contract as filler can help you land anything good, it'd be worth it to have kept him. Not going to cry about missing out on Hamilton. I'm sure there will be some random free agent, or maybe D-League player who could be just as intriguing as an end of bencher.

To me, the extra PG/ballhandler is just by far the most valuable option if Cherry proves worth of the 3rd string spot. Again, it's just not easy to find a good option there in the middle of the season in free agency. A wing who can maybe do one or two things above average (that's basically what Hamilton is), or a big who is basically just a big guy using his size and fouls (basically Stiemsma) are fairly easy to find.

**And honestly, ain't none of these guys anything to cry about. But in order of preference of who I'd probably keep going into the season, it's Cherry > Stiemsma > Hamilton.
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Sun Sep 7, 2014, 10:53 PM.

Comment

The thing is, is it likely you'll find an actual good trade for the team for Fields before the season starts? Is it worth it to dump him to sign a 6th wing? Or is it better to see, even if you have to wait as long as possible, if you can actually use him and his contract to get a good piece? I'd pick that last option. If using his contract as filler can help you land anything good, it'd be worth it to have kept him. Not going to cry about missing out on Hamilton. I'm sure there will be some random free agent, or maybe D-League player who could be just as intriguing as an end of bencher.

To me, the extra PG/ballhandler is just by far the most valuable option if Cherry proves worth of the 3rd string spot. Again, it's just not easy to find a good option there in the middle of the season in free agency. A wing who can maybe do one or two things above average (that's basically what Hamilton is), or a big who is basically just a big guy using his size and fouls (basically Stiemsma) are fairly easy to find.

**And honestly, ain't none of these guys anything to cry about. But in order of preference of who I'd probably keep going into the season, it's Cherry > Stiemsma > Hamilton.

Agreed 100%.

In my post, I couldn't make space for Cherry only because I feel like Fields and Stiemsma will be retained, but having a backup ball handler who can play gritty defence is a definite plus, especially if Lowry were to go down with an injury.
                        I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                        -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

I am definitely not standing up for Hamilton. I completely agree with you that I would rather keep Fields and see what we can get for him or let him expire than sign Hamilton. It's just the Stiemsma and Cherry thing I'm not sure off. You make some very good points as to why we should sign Cherry over Stiemsma but for some reason I'm just feeling Stiemsma more. Probably mainly just because I don't like Chuck Hayes and I don't think Bebe is ready for primetime yet. But I will hold judgement until I actually see them play some preseason games.

Comment

Without another deal Steisma @ 1M might push the Raptor into the luxury tax. Not a big deal with the number of expirings next season but ...

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                              I am definitely not standing up for Hamilton. I completely agree with you that I would rather keep Fields and see what we can get for him or let him expire than sign Hamilton. It's just the Stiemsma and Cherry thing I'm not sure off. You make some very good points as to why we should sign Cherry over Stiemsma but for some reason I'm just feeling Stiemsma more. Probably mainly just because I don't like Chuck Hayes and I don't think Bebe is ready for primetime yet. But I will hold judgement until I actually see them play some preseason games.
                              Hayes is great as the 3rd stringer on our team when the roster is healthy. He brings veteran leadership (which was fairly evident last year), has a high bball IQ which is good for young guys, and throw in his value as an expiring contract and again, with similar logic to Fields, it's worth it to wait and see if his value is maximized in a good trade, rather than just dumping him to sign a guy who's basically not better except for size. Stiemsma does very little well. And even though he contests shots better, he's probably not as good a team defender for us as Hayes, who does well for us as an anchor in terms of his communication and positioning.

The issues arise mostly if JV goes down, as we lack any player with true C size we can use for 20-25+ mpg. But Stiemsma is not really capable of that. Our success through such a period would depend more on our current crop of bigs stepping up. Amir probably shifting to starting C and getting at least 15-20 minutes there. Hansbrough ready to step up at the PF spot, and whatever C minutes are needed, especially if matchups are bad for Hayes and Bebe is struggling. If Bebe can have some success at times against longer and more athletic guys that'd be great. And Hayes stepping up especialy against good post players (most of whom are not above the rim type guys anyway), and probably anybody who isn't too long/athletic as he can give Amir a break as being the defensive anchor (which is more dependent on communication/IQ than length).

Comment

Working...
                              X