Playoff Predictions 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoff Predictions 2020/21

Now that the dust has sort of settled from free agency and the draft, it's time to take a stab at predicting the standings.

Here are my predictions:

East

1. Milwaukee
    2. Toronto
    3. Philadelphia
    4. Boston
    5. Miami
    6. Brooklyn
    7. Atlanta
    8. Indiana
    9. Washington

West

1. LA Lakers
    2. LA Clippers
    3. Phoenix
    4. Portland
    5. Dallas
    6. Denver
    7. Golden State
    8. Utah
    9. Houston

This was way harder than expected. The East should be really competitive all the way down to 10 or 11. Charlotte, Washington, Orlando, Chicago, and Detroit could all sneak into the 8th spot if things break right for them. Currently, with injuries to Isaac, and the health question marks from Detroit and Washington, I'm sticking with what I've got. It seems crazy to put Indiana at 8 and I'm guessing I will have egg all over my face at the end of the season, but it's hard to put them above any of the teams ahead of them. The Nets are the biggest swing team for me. They could be a top 3 seed or out of the playoffs if the injury bug hits them.

The West is just as tough. Phoenix should be really good but are a suspension or injury away from missing the playoffs. Golden State is really hard to figure out without Klay. Dallas could be the best regular-season team in the league after getting Josh Richardson if KP stays healthy. Portland had a really, really solid offseason. They should be good with Nurk back and Convington in the fold. Houston is tough because we expect them to make a trade. If they keep everyone around they'll be in the playoffs.

Tough to do now. There could still be some roster changes. Need to see how these guys work together in the preseason and the first couple of weeks of the season. And how the other teams are meshing. I'm still expecting the Raptors to finish in the top 4-6.

Comment

Maury, I like you're optimism re the Raps. I don't see them finishing top 2 under any circumstances. All a crap shoot at this point but I think Boston is top 2-3

And as it sits now, you think Harden, Westbrook and Boogie miss the playoffs?
      Last edited by G__Deane; Tue Nov 24, 2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The Raptors have been a top 3 seed in the East for 5 straight seasons, they were top 2 seed 4 of those years.

I know other teams have made nice moves, but Boston lost Hayward (finished 5 games back of Toronto last year), Miami is status quo (finished 10 games back of Toronto last year), and every year a couple of the teams who had an exciting offseason don't have everything pan out for them when the games are actually played - that always happens. Still pretty questionable if Philly and Brooklyn both hit their on-paper peak potential this season.

And last year Toronto had more injuries to deal with than any other top team, by quite a bit. Losing Ibaka and Gasol hurts a bit, but I'd gladly still put this team top 2. They're better than Boston/Philly/Nets/Miami in the regular season until proven otherwise.

Fun fact! Boston and Philly have been pegged as the rising stars of the East for several seasons now and have yet to finish ahead of Toronto in the standings. How is this year any different?

We feel the lack of a go-to superstar on the Raps in a 7 game playoff series, but that doesn't matter as much in the regular season. This team is good.
        Last edited by S.R.; Tue Nov 24, 2020, 11:53 AM.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I can't bet against the Raptors anymore. As long as Lowry is on the team anyway. I'm thinking top 3 team again this year. Maybe Brooklyn passes them. They are top heavy now. Or Boston out paces them. But I don't see Miami, Philly, Indiana, etc getting by them.

The one thing that's going to be weird is the Tampa thing. That might f@ck with them a bit, and can hurt their regular season standings. But our guys are pretty mentally tough.

Comment

G__Deane wrote: View Post
            Maury, I like you're optimism re the Raps. I don't see them finishing top 2 under any circumstances. All a crap shoot at this point but I think Boston is top 2-3

And as it sits now, you think Harden, Westbrook and Boogie miss the playoffs?
            You have to cut someone... and a team with a fragile locker room and two stars who want out? That's enough for me. They got worse this off-season, and Boogie is probably a shell of himself for at least another year and probably the rest of his career.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              The Raptors have been a top 3 seed in the East for 5 straight seasons, they were top 2 seed 4 of those years.

I know other teams have made nice moves, but Boston lost Hayward (finished 5 games back of Toronto last year), Miami is status quo (finished 10 games back of Toronto last year), and every year a couple of the teams who had an exciting offseason don't have everything pan out for them when the games are actually played - that always happens. Still pretty questionable if Philly and Brooklyn both hit their on-paper peak potential this season.

And last year Toronto had more injuries to deal with than any other top team, by quite a bit. Losing Ibaka and Gasol hurts a bit, but I'd gladly still put this team top 2. They're better than Boston/Philly/Nets/Miami in the regular season until proven otherwise.

Fun fact! Boston and Philly have been pegged as the rising stars of the East for several seasons now and have yet to finish ahead of Toronto in the standings. How is this year any different?

We feel the lack of a go-to superstar on the Raps in a 7 game playoff series, but that doesn't matter as much in the regular season. This team is good.
              Siakam does struggle against contending teams but people forgot he is busting ass on other 22-24 teams. Regular season is not a concern
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

In terms of lineup predictions is Lowry/FVV/Powell/Siakam/OG our closing lineup? I mean we probably start Baynes but I think this lineup gets a lot of looks no?

Comment

I love it....we are not long away from seeing an "Everything 2020 preseason" thread

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
                    Now that the dust has sort of settled from free agency and the draft, it's time to take a stab at predicting the standings.

This was way harder than expected. The East should be really competitive all the way down to 10 or 11. Charlotte, Washington, Orlando, Chicago, and Detroit could all sneak into the 8th spot if things break right for them. Currently, with injuries to Isaac, and the health question marks from Detroit and Washington, I'm sticking with what I've got. It seems crazy to put Indiana at 8 and I'm guessing I will have egg all over my face at the end of the season, but it's hard to put them above any of the teams ahead of them. The Nets are the biggest swing team for me. They could be a top 3 seed or out of the playoffs if the injury bug hits them.

agree that seems crazy to have the pacers 8th. i think there's a clear top 7 in the east and i think they're part of it, and all those other teams you mentioned are fighting for 8th. indy will win above their talent level just by virtue of how hard they play, like we did last year (and like they did under macmillan too).

i'll guess:

1. bucks
                    2. sixers
                    3. nets
                    4. celtics
                    5. raps
                    6. heat
                    7. pacers
                    8. charlotte

i think 2 through 7 will be tight and could finish in any order. i think there might be a bigger separation between 7 and 8 then between 2 and 7. no idea who finishes 8th but i like borrego as a coach and hayward should make them better. a 19 yr old rookie point guard could make that pick look pretty stupid and i'd feel better about it if they were just adding hayward to last years rotation though.

west is a crap shoot. i'll guess:

1. LAL
                    2. LAC
                    3. mavs
                    4. nuggs
                    5. suns
                    6. portland
                    7. golden state
                    8. houston

banking on houston not trading harden but also unsure what that roster looks like playing for not-d'antoni. utah just on the outside looking in. memphis and new orleans take a step back from last year.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

The one thing that's going to be weird is the Tampa thing. That might f@ck with them a bit, and can hurt their regular season standings. But our guys are pretty mentally tough.
                      This is a good point but keep in mind that Raps have been a great road team the last few years.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post

agree that seems crazy to have the pacers 8th. i think there's a clear top 7 in the east and i think they're part of it, and all those other teams you mentioned are fighting for 8th. indy will win above their talent level just by virtue of how hard they play, like we did last year (and like they did under macmillan too).

i'll guess:

1. bucks
                        2. sixers
                        3. nets
                        4. celtics
                        5. raps
                        6. heat
                        7. pacers
                        8. charlotte

i think 2 through 7 will be tight and could finish in any order. i think there might be a bigger separation between 7 and 8 then between 2 and 7. no idea who finishes 8th but i like borrego as a coach and hayward should make them better. a 19 yr old rookie point guard could make that pick look pretty stupid and i'd feel better about it if they were just adding hayward to last years rotation though.

west is a crap shoot. i'll guess:

1. LAL
                        2. LAC
                        3. mavs
                        4. nuggs
                        5. suns
                        6. portland
                        7. golden state
                        8. houston

banking on houston not trading harden but also unsure what that roster looks like playing for not-d'antoni. utah just on the outside looking in. memphis and new orleans take a step back from last year.
                        Don't think the Hawks get in? I think they had a pretty good off season. Got some defensive pieces in Rondo and Dunn to pair with Trae in the back court. Capela is up front. They might get Brogdanovich if Sacramento doesn't match their offer sheet. Gallo can be dangerous and a release valve for Trae.

Collins was suspended for half the year last year, and should play all season.

I think they get into the 8th spot. I don't trust Charlotte, even with Hayward.

Comment

Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
                          In terms of lineup predictions is Lowry/FVV/Powell/Siakam/OG our closing lineup? I mean we probably start Baynes but I think this lineup gets a lot of looks no?
                          Yeah.. I see some small ball, but the closing line up will be situational and who's hot I think. I think Nurse is really going to like Baynes.. like he liked Gasol. If Baynes can handle it, he'll be on the floor near the end.. but I've heard he gets tired pretty quickly and that's why he usually plays under 20mpg.

Comment

Best case scenario for the Raps - 3rd seed. Worse case scenario - 6th seed.

East

1. Milwaukee
                            2. Boston
                            3. Philadelphia
                            4. Miami
                            5. Toronto
                            6. Brooklyn
                            7. Indiana
                            8. Chicago

West

1. Lakers
                            2. Clippers
                            3. Portland
                            4. Dallas
                            5. Denver
                            6. GSW
                            7. Phoenix
                            8. Utah
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Warm take: Baynes will be a fan favorite. Dude leaves everything on the floor

Comment

Working...
                              X