JV comparable big man production in the modern NBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
    So do I. I think he needs to trim down on the upper body strength, it slows him down anyways, and work on his core and lower body strength instead. He also needs to work on stamina over the summer.

I'd rather he be a bit more mobile and athletic than he is right now, hopefully we can develop his footwork, decision-making, and passing. I do believe he has good vision when he looks to move the ball.
    I don't think stamina is as big an issue as it seems. JV is fast enough up and down the floor, but he sprints up and down so much (basically any time he's not getting the defensive board) for nothing, sometimes sprinting all the way down to establish position only for Lowry, Lou or Greivis to take an early shot clock 3 so he has to sprint right back...It's not surprising he gets gassed. But it's hard to pinpoint if it's because his conditioning isn't good enough. If it was that bad, he'd struggle a lot more with those full-quarter shifts.

I agree with the need to trim down, and that should help his nimbleness, which is what he needs most. Moving more quickly in smaller spaces. Probably gained weight too fast and too much in his upper body. Became less explosive and quick on his feet because of it. But he's easily young enough to correct it, at least somewhat. If Marc Gasol, who was always slow and overweight, can lean down and quicken up a bit at 30, I'm sure JV can do so at 23. I'm hoping all the talk of him being slow motivates him to do so.

Comment

So do I. I think he needs to trim down on the upper body strength, it slows him down anyways, and work on his core and lower body strength instead. He also needs to work on stamina over the summer.

I'd rather he be a bit more mobile and athletic than he is right now, hopefully we can develop his footwork, decision-making, and passing. I do believe he has good vision when he looks to move the ball.
      Stamina.

Maybe don't play him for 12 fucking minutes straight.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        Stamina.

Maybe don't play him for 12 fucking minutes straight.
        And if you do, it better be OT.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Biggest thing I'd like to see from JV is being more aggressive. Don't pump fake - shoot it. Don't hold the ball - attack the defender. I think his decision making is pretty good when he acts more on instinct instead of analyzing. He often looks for other bigs in the paint, so I think with more touches you'll see another dimension in his passing.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• jacobdr4 wrote: View Post
            Could also be that in those games that he's playing well Casey actually plays him more minutes. Not to take anything away from JV
            Don't worry, you aren't taking anything away from JV.

On the season: 16.5 points/36, 11.9 rebounds/36

In games with over 30 minutes played: 17.3 points/36, 11.9 rebounds per 36

Somehow I doubt JV's additional 0.8 points per 36 and 0.0 rebounds per 36 somehow drove Casey to play him more. Only person taking something away from JV is Casey taking away opportunities to average a double double.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              Biggest thing I'd like to see from JV is being more aggressive. Don't pump fake - shoot it. Don't hold the ball - attack the defender. I think his decision making is pretty good when he acts more on instinct instead of analyzing. He often looks for other bigs in the paint, so I think with more touches you'll see another dimension in his passing.
              RE: Instincts

Yeah, I've noticed that too, Game 2 I think, they ran a PnR with him and as soon as the ball handler hit Jonas he immediately hit a shooter on the left wing. I think he has good passing instincts for sure.

I'd also like him to take more of those midrange jumpers. He's good enough at them, and he has good mechanics. As he grows confident in his jumper, I think he'll start making more and more of him.

Comment

RE: Instincts

Yeah, I've noticed that too, Game 2 I think, they ran a PnR with him and as soon as the ball handler hit Jonas he immediately hit a shooter on the left wing. I think he has good passing instincts for sure.

I'd also like him to take more of those midrange jumpers. He's good enough at them, and he has good mechanics. As he grows confident in his jumper, I think he'll start making more and more of him.
                Based on his limited shooting sample and excellent free throw shooting, the 15-18' jumper seems do-able. Once he starts hitting that, then he could actually start using the pump fake (singular not 3x) and get some good looks.

Comment

• So...

JV is better than we thought he was?

Or is Casey even more of a idiot?

YOU DECIDE!
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                    So...

YOU DECIDE!
                    I feel like this is a great place for that "Why not both?" meme.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                      So...

YOU DECIDE!
                      A little of column A and a lot of column B.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        I feel like this is a great place for that "Why not both?" meme.
                        Gotcha

OG is our king

Comment

• A more skilled, rich man's version of Timofey Mozgov.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                            A more skilled, rich man's version of Timofey Mozgov.
                            It's easy to see him developing into an Andris Biedrins-type rebounder/defender/hustler in the NBA, but he likely has more even potential offensively than the Latvian big man due to his superior hands and touch (he probably has more of a nasty streak too).
                            http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...anciunas-5622/
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Easy to see him developing into an Andris Biedrins type of player?? I hope they're wrong! We surely cannot build around an Andris Biedrins type of player. No wonder the guards look him off so much.... They see Andris Biedrins. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                                Easy to see him developing into an Andris Biedrins type of player?? I hope they're wrong! We surely cannot build around an Andris Biedrins type of player. No wonder the guards look him off so much.... They see Andris Biedrins. Yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                There was a brief moment where Biedrins was actually pretty good a certain aspects of the game.

Then he got fat

Comment

Working...
                                X