No announcement yet.

Everything NBA 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i should point out further that deadeye williams is a 9 time world champ at horseshoes too, so an elite multi-sport athlete. how many of these other GOATS can say that?

presumably he absolutely fucking destroyed at cornhole too, although that is not mentioned on his wikipedia page
    Last edited by chris; Tue Feb 16, 2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Lewis Hamilton should be in this conversation lmao
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

if you really wanna get dumb, the accomplishments of walter ray "deadeye" williams jr need to be considered in this debate. 118 PBA titles, 47 PBA tour titles, 7 time player of the year over a 25 year period spanning 1986 to 2010. unbelievable. here's the GOAT, in his prime:

look at the intensity
        is this the "who do you think you are i am" dude?

Also if you really want to talk about "most dominant ever":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Vergeer

"Vergeer was the world number one wheelchair tennis player from 1999 until her retirement in February 2013.[1] In singles matches, she was undefeated since January 2003 and ended her career on a winning streak of 470 matches.[2] She has often been mentioned as the most dominant player in professional sports.[3][4]"
        Last edited by KHD; Wed Feb 17, 2021, 12:31 AM.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post

is this the "who do you think you are i am" dude?
          no that's pete weber, though it is worth posting that celebration again

[/QUOTE]

KHD wrote: View Post

Also if you really want to talk about "most dominant ever":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esther_Vergeer

"Vergeer was the world number one wheelchair tennis player from 1999 until her retirement in February 2013.[1] In singles matches, she was undefeated since January 2003 and ended her career on a winning streak of 470 matches.[2] She has often been mentioned as the most dominant player in professional sports.[3][4]"
          haven't heard of her, 470 straight matches is something.

i haven't hear of lewis hamilton either, but after reading about them i think we can all agree that MJ and brady are not in the top ten GOATs

Comment

• Can't go this long talkin bout GOATs without mentioning Tiger Woods. His run from 1999-2009 is the most dominant period for any athlete in my viewing lifetime (I was a little kid when Jordan was doing it, and even younger/not even born when Gretzky was doing it). He was so far ahead of 2nd best it's mind boggling.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Can't go this long talkin bout GOATs without mentioning Tiger Woods. His run from 1999-2009 is the most dominant period for any athlete in my viewing lifetime (I was a little kid when Jordan was doing it, and even younger/not even born when Gretzky was doing it). He was so far ahead of 2nd best it's mind boggling.
              Another one who through no fault of his own didn't really have a long term 1B competitor. Lefty didn't cut it.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Another one who through no fault of his own didn't really have a long term 1B competitor. Lefty didn't cut it.
                Every week in golf there are like 40 guys who can win. There was no 1B cause he was so much better than the other 39. But even then, Singh, Els and Mickelson were all pretty successful during Woods' run. There are always a lot of amazing golfers.

Comment

There was no 1B because Tiger was so much better than everyone else. He would dominate again just as he did then. Everyone only talks about Phil, but guys like Ernie Els, Vijay Singh, Jim Furyk were amazing golfers who would be in contention still today, but got dominated by Tiger

edit: beat me to it, slaw!

Comment

• Woods is a good one but is he better than Nicklaus was? Hard to compare eras, but Nicklaus has more majors which I would imagine is a big deal.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

There was no 1B because Tiger was so much better than everyone else. He would dominate again just as he did then. Everyone only talks about Phil, but guys like Ernie Els, Vijay Singh, Jim Furyk were amazing golfers who would be in contention still today, but got dominated by Tiger

edit: beat me to it, slaw!
                      Woods' 2000s numbers are otherworldly. 12 majors and 50+ wins. Woods had more wins than Phil and Vijay combined.

For context - McIlroy had 18 wins and 4 majors in the 2010s and is widely considered the best player of the decade.

Comment

• I thought it was obvious but hence "through no fault of his own" he had no true long term 1B to compete against.

Look at who Gretzky and Brady competed against over long periods of their careers and tell me Vijay or Ernie Els was in that class lol

Comment

• Woods won 12 majors in the 2000's? Roger Federer won 16 grand slams in the 2000's. I'm just sayin......
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

I thought it was obvious but hence "through no fault of his own" he had no true long term 1B to compete against.

Look at who Gretzky and Brady competed against over long periods of their careers and tell me Vijay or Ernie Els was in that class lol
                            Um..yes? We're really splitting hairs here if we're trying to determine if Vijay Singh is better at golf than peter stastny is at hockey lol. World class is world class, all you can do is judge the peers you play against.

besides, theres a lot more golfers of every skill level out there than there are quarterbacks

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                              Woods won 12 majors in the 2000's? Roger Federer won 16 grand slams in the 2000's. I'm just sayin......
                              i don't think the two sports are very comparable. to win a golf tournament you need to beat out a field of 80 to 90 players. to win a tennis tournament you have to win a series of one on one matchups. personally i think the latter is more likely, if you're the best in the world at it. it's competing versus dozens of players rather than against a half dozen or so, escalating in competition.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i don't think the two sports are very comparable. to win a golf tournament you need to beat out a field of 80 to 90 players. to win a tennis tournament you have to win a series of one on one matchups. personally i think the latter is more likely, if you're the best in the world at it. it's competing versus dozens of players rather than against a half dozen or so, escalating in competition.
                                How many of those 80-90 players were in the same level as Woods though?

Whenever Federer makes the finals it's always against Nadal or Djokovic. Two guys who will go down as the second and third greatest tennis players ever.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X