Everything NBA 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
    I thought it was obvious but hence "through no fault of his own" he had no true long term 1B to compete against.

Look at who Gretzky and Brady competed against over long periods of their careers and tell me Vijay or Ernie Els was in that class lol
    I think it's pointless to try and compare team and individual sports but, in any case, Mickelson, Els and Singh are top-20 all time, for sure. Phil probably has a strong case for top-10 even.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

How many of those 80-90 players were in the same level as Woods though?

Whenever Federer makes the finals it's always against Nadal or Djokovic. Two guys who will go down as the second and third greatest tennis players ever.
      Doesn't that statement just prove how dominant Tiger actually was during that stretch?

Comment

Whenever Federer makes the finals it's always against Nadal or Djokovic. Two guys who will go down as the second and third greatest tennis players ever.
        The book on the big-3 isn't written yet, especially Nadal and Djokovic. Both could surpass Federer.

Comment

None. And that's the point.

And the field is actually about 140 golfers. During one 3 year stretch tiger won 52.6% of his tournaments. There was a time when the oddsmakers would let you take the field of 143 other golfers at better odds than you'd get for betting on tiger.

most pro golfers dream of a single tournament win. The best of the best are lucky to take home 3 wins in a year. Tiger won 7 IN A ROW, and the 5 in a row twice more.

if it wasnt for injuries hed still be near the top just like federer.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

that's a fair counterpoint. clearly none of them were on woods' level.

but still once federer gets to the finals he's still probably 50% to win against those guys, if he's healthy and it's not the french? and say he's 95% or so to win a first round match, with progressively decreasing odds the further he goes in the tournament until he reaches the finals (where he's still a coin flip)... it seems to me that winning each of those matches is more likely than beating a field of 80 or 90 players you have to compete against at the same time, any one of whom could catch fire and string together a few rounds of their lives.

i dunno, i'm not a probabilities dude. i'm sure the vegas odds for federer and woods for majors during their primes would be pretty indicative of the actual liklihood if i had the time or inclination to look it up

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Doesn't that statement just prove how dominant Tiger actually was during that stretch?
              I'll put it this way. Imagine Jordan facing LeBron or Magic or Bird every year in the finals? or Tiger facing Nicklaus or whoever is the 3rd greatest golfer of all time in your opinion, Hogan, Palmer, I dunno, every year in the finals?

Who was Woods biggest competition? Singh? Mickelson? are they even in the top 10 greatest golfers of all time convo?

Btw, Roger Federer is STILL one of the 3 best players in tennis right now. Who's 1 and 2? Djokovic and Nadal.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• How is it even possible to compare tennis and golf? In tennis, you actually play against an opponent. In golf, you basically play against yourself. Its like comparing masturbation to sex.

Comment

• Nonetheless, what tiger was able to accomplish is unparalled. The consistency required to dominate in the manner he did is basically unbelievable. You have to be on point every round, every hole, every swing. But its mostly a mental thing. There were lots of golfers that could have challenged tiger. They didnt, not because they were lesser athletes, but because they were unable to match tigers focus and determination. That being said, federer is 10 times the athlete that tiger is. Find me someone overweight that can compete at professional tennis, or most sports for that matter. You wont, because being in great shape is a requirement for most athletes. Not that tiger was overweight or anything, he was in great shape...for a golfer. And he might have done very well if he played a different sport. But we'll never know. I guess I'm looking at the definition of athlete a certain way. But ultimately, I question whether an activity can be called a sport if you dont need to be in shape or athletic to be good at it. There is a big difference between a 5 hour tennis match and a 5 hour round of golf, and you cant play tennis by yourself.

Comment

• Vijay is my favourite golfer. Never got pissed iff. Cool cat

Comment

• Something positive about the Raps for a change:
                      https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...iest-team-east

Comment

• Man the East really sucks. Boston and Miami lose again. Indiana had to go to O/T to beat Minny. Raptors actually lost to Minny. Bucks have lost 4 in a row, and will lose a 5th tonight

This covid season is just crappy all the way around. Nobody seems to give a sh!t lol.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Man the East really sucks. Boston and Miami lose again. Indiana had to go to O/T to beat Minny. Raptors actually lost to Minny. Bucks have lost 4 in a row, and will lose a 5th tonight

This covid season is just crappy all the way around. Nobody seems to give a sh!t lol.
                          Unfortunately, Utah, lakers, Clippers and Portland seem to care.
                          And Sixers so far.
                          And Nets will hoop when it counts

Comment

• I'm just curious, what happened to "Heat Culture?" that's all I heard about last year especially in the playoffs. They still have the same team right? what happened to their culture?

Would Heat fans finally admit that Heat Culture = LeBron James?
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Unfortunately, Utah, lakers, Clippers and Portland seem to care.
                              And Sixers so far.
                              And Nets will hoop when it counts
                              Having teams care out West doesn't really matter for the Raptors out East though does it?

Sixers are the only team that seem to really care out East. But they have Doc Rivers. He's just not trust worthy in the playoffs despite his ring in Boston.

The Nets are the Nets. they can go on 10-15 point runs pretty easily with all that fire power. But they also struggle on the defensive end. I'm still skeptical but they are probably finals bound unfortunately.

Comment

• This guy is going to be a MONSTER.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X