Everything NBA 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Minny still has a huge culture issue, it's just a losing organization from top to bottom (and KAT apparently doesn't help that). Pretty tough for a coach to turn that around, the problems are bigger than him.

Finch is about to be their 6th coach in the past 8 seasons. They've been to the playoffs once in the past 17 years. Yikes & good luck, tough spot for your first HC gig.
    Ownership has history of playing around with term when it comes to maxing out their top players and it creates bad feelings. They gave Rubio & Kevin Love 4 years, when both wanted 5 year extensions. They learned their lesson somewhat and gave Wiggins and Towns 5 years, but wouldn't commit 5 years to Jimmy Butler, who probably would have stayed with Thibs if he got paid. I mean, nobody wants to play in Minnesota, so you would think that they should be the ones chasing stars to lock them up with 5 year contracts.

Comment

How about All-Stars? I swear people think every Tom, Dick, and Harry is supposed to be in the All-Star game now. Fred's a good case study - not well known around the league (especially to casual fans), currently on a middling team, putting up 20/6/4, and some Raptors fans convinced he ABSOLUTELY should be an All-Star. Why?

Fred's still an up and comer who doesn't have the profile of a high draft pick, he's going to have to win some All Defence awards before he gets in on 20/6/4, or be a token rep if the Raps are near the top of the standings. That's just how it works.

With offence taking off in the league, more and more guys are putting up numbers that may have gotten you to the ASG 20 years ago. But we get 140 points in regulation now and guys dropping 50 pieces all over the place, it's not the same league anymore. All-Star recognition isn't relative to the NBA 20 years ago, it's relative to your peers. If everybody's dropping 20ppg, you better be dropping 25+. (There are currently 35 guys putting up 20+ ppg. Go back 20 years and you had 20 guys doing that. It's crazy.)

Also getting the feeling there's a bit of an "everybody gets a participation award" vibe seeping in.

This is all aside from the whole voting process, I don't know how you fix that without excluding the fans - which they understandably don't want to do.
      FVV should be an all star. But I have a feeling the coaches will put Trae Young instead. Smh. Also, i'm a big Jaylen Brown fan but the Celtics don't deserve to have 2 all stars. They're a .500 team ffs.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Blazers still play DUMB basketball. They still don't play any D. They just lost by 30 to the Suns last night. Terry Stotts is probably going to get fired after this season. They should've fired him last year as far as i'm concerned. If Nurse was coaching them they'd be a LEGIT contending team. But anyway, let's see how much Lillard likes Vanterpool. If they fire Stotts, Vanterpool has to be the guy there right? has to be.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
          Blazers still play DUMB basketball. They still don't play any D. They just lost by 30 to the Suns last night. Terry Stotts is probably going to get fired after this season. They should've fired him last year as far as i'm concerned. If Nurse was coaching them they'd be a LEGIT contending team. But anyway, let's see how much Lillard likes Vanterpool. If they fire Stotts, Vanterpool has to be the guy there right? has to be.
          Casey and Stotts got a sh*t ton of mileage out of that 2016 Mavs championship. Casey is especially ironic because he was hired on the basis of his "Lebron Stopper" reputation and ultimately got fired because his teams were repeatedly Lebrontoed. lol.

I'd put Casey and Stotts in the same tier as: Nate McMillan, Lionel Hollins, Scott Brooks, Mike Brown, Mike Woodson, etc.... middling old school coaches who are slowly getting weeded out.

Comment

FVV should be an all star. But I have a feeling the coaches will put Trae Young instead. Smh. Also, i'm a big Jaylen Brown fan but the Celtics don't deserve to have 2 all stars. They're a .500 team ffs.
            Trae = 27ppg, 9apg, 44% FG
            FVV = 20 ppg, 6.6 apg, 40 % FG

FVV is better defensively thoough which unfortunately don't matter in ASGs
            Last edited by Kagemusha; Tue Feb 23, 2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

The Hawks are 11th in the East. The Raptors are in 5th place. FVV impacts winning.

The best player in Atlanta imo is Hunter. The guy that I thought the Knicks should have drafted 3rd overall. The Knicks are going to regret drafting RJ over him. It's not a coincidence that the Hawks went on a long losing streak after he got hurt.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

It matters with coaches selections. Dikembe Mutombo is a 10x all star
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Offensively, Trae is marginally better than Fred, defensively FVV is far better.

Trae would need to improve on his -3.29 DRPM to even get minutes under Nurse.

Comment

• Defence matters for ASG once you're elite and have some hardware. It takes a bit. Fred isn't there this season.

I'd rather have him than some guys who will make it, sure. But it's hard to measure defence midseason, it takes some time to build the case. Meanwhile a guy like Lavine going off for 35+ a pile of games, that's an eye catching objective metric. It is what it is.

If Fred gets some defensive hardware this season, he's going to have a much stronger AS case next season.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Blazers still play DUMB basketball. They still don't play any D. They just lost by 30 to the Suns last night. Terry Stotts is probably going to get fired after this season. They should've fired him last year as far as i'm concerned. If Nurse was coaching them they'd be a LEGIT contending team. But anyway, let's see how much Lillard likes Vanterpool. If they fire Stotts, Vanterpool has to be the guy there right? has to be.
                      Let's hope they don't fire Stotts. We're running low on assistant coaches over here.

Comment

Defence matters for ASG once you're elite and have some hardware. It takes a bit. Fred isn't there this season.

I'd rather have him than some guys who will make it, sure. But it's hard to measure defence midseason, it takes some time to build the case. Meanwhile a guy like Lavine going off for 35+ a pile of games, that's an eye catching objective metric. It is what it is.

If Fred gets some defensive hardware this season, he's going to have a much stronger AS case next season.
                        LaVine 100% deserves to be there. He's putting up monster numbers every night + the Bulls are in 8th place. And if you look at his supporting cast, it's not as strong as the Hawks. The Bulls are also ravaged with injuries this year. Carter missed a lot of games. Markkanen, their 2nd best player has missed most of the season because of Covid and shoulder injury. LaVine should be a lock.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Defence matters for ASG once you're elite and have some hardware. It takes a bit. Fred isn't there this season.

I dunno, if there the raptors are in 4th place by the time coaches select, I think fred gets in. Hes having a prime lowry like season.

east is guard rich and forward shallow, so I suspect the 2 wild card spots will be guards. Brown and Harden get in the main 2 slots. Then I think its lavine and fred in the wild card slots.

young got snubbed last year, usually maybe 1 selection tops for non playoff teams, if the stats are too great to ignore. This year that's Bradley Beal.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I dunno, if there the raptors are in 4th place by the time coaches select, I think fred gets in. Hes having a prime lowry like season.

east is guard rich and forward shallow, so I suspect the 2 wild card spots will be guards. Brown and Harden get in the main 2 slots. Then I think its lavine and fred in the wild card slots.

young got snubbed last year, usually maybe 1 selection tops for non playoff teams, if the stats are too great to ignore. This year that's Bradley Beal.
                            Young was in the game last year (got voted in). Lavine got snubbed.. and I think he should get in this year. Bulls are on the cusp of a playoff seed.. they've been playing well (for their standards) and he's their guy.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Young was in the game last year (got voted in). Lavine got snubbed.. and I think he should get in this year. Bulls are on the cusp of a playoff seed.. they've been playing well (for their standards) and he's their guy.
                              Yes that's right it was the year before I guess, people were pushing for him to get in. Time flies. Beal got snubbed last year though, averaging 30.5 lol. Playoffs matter huge to the reserve selections. Hell they have a bunch of half decent Atlanta hawks a third of the entire east team because they won 60 games that year.

Comment

• My choices:

starters: KD, Giannis, Embiid, Beal, Irving

forwards: Tatum, Randle, Sabonis
                                guards: Harden, Simmons
                                wild cards: VanVleet, Lavine

Biggest snub: Brown.

Harden should have started, and Irving should have been snubbed for Brown.

Comment

Working...
                                X