Everything NBA 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah.. he squandered an opportunity for sure.. but did end up with Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum (and the Colin Sexton pick, which they used to get Kyrie Irving) without having to tank hard to get them.
    Counterpoint: Boston sucks!
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

The biggest problem is Mitch Richmond got in. Is he the modern low bar, imo.
      I never watched the man play but 22, 4, 4 are good career averages and he was a 6x all star like Kyle and an nba champion. Made a few all nba teams as well. I'd consider that fringe HOF worthy.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post

I never watched the man play but 22, 4, 4 are good career averages and he was a 6x all star like Kyle and an nba champion. Made a few all nba teams as well. I'd consider that fringe HOF worthy.
        i can't tell if this is a joke or not.

he played 4 minutes in the playoffs the year LA won that chip. he played 999 games in his career... 23 of them were playoff games.

he was the poster boy for empty calorie player in the 90's. but yeah, great numbers

Comment

He was a very good player. One of the better scorers of his era. Never relevant in the spring though, and never a top 10 player at any point in his career. Think Bradley Beal with defense. And his title was won as a towel waver on the end of Shaq and Kobe's bench
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i mean sure bosh's playoff success was due to being on a team with lebron and wade, but he also elevated that group to champions (they quite literally don't win the first spurs series without him, who knows if they'd have enough to beat a loaded but inexperienced thunder team without him). the hall of fame is full of players like that, who would not have carried teams on their own to much success but were integral parts of championship teams, and rightly so, i think.

i agree with keon that LMA does not deserve to get in, mainly because he sacrificed team success to some degree for pretty selfish reasons by being unwilling to accept a lesser role for most of his career. he left portland because he was tired of playing second fiddle to brandon roy and then dame, signed with the spurs to be the man, only to have kawhi and then demar become the man.

so not only did he have limited playoff success, he ended up not really being the guy either for most of his career, save maybe the very early dame years. i don't really see bosh as the comp.

but, mitch richmond, so probably eventually he'll get in. although mitch richmond was at least the man on some bad teams
            You can rewrite that first paragraph and substitute Serge Ibaka in there for Chris Bosh and it would be the same. Without Serge, we don't get by Philly in that game 7. If LMA played on that team instead of Bosh, they get that chip as well. Rings shouldn't matter if you are the third or fourth best player on a championship team. Bosh played his role very well, but he was not a star when he won the ring. Does Danny Green get into the hall too because he's been to how many finals and has how many rings? He might get another opportunity again this year.

LMA had a better regular season career over Bosh (5 all-nba's compared to 1).. it shouldn't matter that LMA didn't take a lesser role on Portland or wherever. The point being that LMA had a better career over Bosh's if you remove the rings.. and you should since Bosh's rings are as valuable as Ibaka's or Gasol's was in 2019 and might be again in 2021 if the Clippers happen to win it all.

I just hate using rings as a reason why a non GOAT type of player should make the hall. If Bosh doesn't get in, then neither should LMA (and I'd be totally fine with that).. but if Bosh makes it LMA should as well.

Comment

I agree the super team era changed things, but to me you still need some form of playoff success, unless you were really an elite all world guy In the regular season. To me Aldridge was just very good not great. A guy like Lillard is different, he is great so he gets in even without any finals appearances. Vince had the longevity without being all world (other than 1 or 2 seasons). I would say you need 2 out of 3 (elite, playoff success, or very good longevity)

But if theres no playoff bar set for the very good stat guys, then were opening up the door to guys like zach lavine. I dont want zach lavine anywhere near my hall of fame unless hes visiting.
              Longevity should be waaaay down the list imo.

Comment

He was a very good player. One of the better scorers of his era. Never relevant in the spring though, and never a top 10 player at any point in his career. Think Bradley Beal with defense. And his title was won as a towel waver on the end of Shaq and Kobe's bench
                Towel waving in under appreciated

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i can't tell if this is a joke or not.

he played 4 minutes in the playoffs the year LA won that chip. he played 999 games in his career... 23 of them were playoff games.

he was the poster boy for empty calorie player in the 90's. but yeah, great numbers
                  Eh I mean T Mac made it and he never won shit same with Vince. That's just how the basketball HOF is.

Comment

• We picked Bargnani over Aldridge I believe. Another what if, would have played with Bosh

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                      We picked Bargnani over Aldridge I believe. Another what if, would have played with Bosh
                      Top10 of the 2006 Draft:

Bargnani, Aldridge, Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Shelden Williams, Brandon Roy, Randy Foye, Rudy Gay, Patrick Bryant, Mouhamed Sene.

Reminder that Aldridge was actually a Chicago Bulls pick - he was traded to Portland for Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khrypa.

The Bulls had acquired that #2 pick from the Knicks ...as part of the Eddie Curry deal (who they traded because Curry refused to get medical testing because he missed time for .....an irregular heartbeat.

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

Top10 of the 2006 Draft:

Bargnani, Aldridge, Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Shelden Williams, Brandon Roy, Randy Foye, Rudy Gay, Patrick Bryant, Mouhamed Sene.

Reminder that Aldridge was actually a Chicago Bulls pick - he was traded to Portland for Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khrypa.

The Bulls had acquired that #2 pick from the Knicks ...as part of the Eddie Curry deal (who they traded because Curry refused to get medical testing because he missed time for .....an irregular heartbeat.
                        That has to be up there as the the worst top 10 of all time yikes
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

and guess how many of that top 10 played for the raps? I guess we made up for that by getting pick #24

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

You can rewrite that first paragraph and substitute Serge Ibaka in there for Chris Bosh and it would be the same. Without Serge, we don't get by Philly in that game 7. If LMA played on that team instead of Bosh, they get that chip as well. Rings shouldn't matter if you are the third or fourth best player on a championship team. Bosh played his role very well, but he was not a star when he won the ring. Does Danny Green get into the hall too because he's been to how many finals and has how many rings? He might get another opportunity again this year.

LMA had a better regular season career over Bosh (5 all-nba's compared to 1).. it shouldn't matter that LMA didn't take a lesser role on Portland or wherever. The point being that LMA had a better career over Bosh's if you remove the rings.. and you should since Bosh's rings are as valuable as Ibaka's or Gasol's was in 2019 and might be again in 2021 if the Clippers happen to win it all.

I just hate using rings as a reason why a non GOAT type of player should make the hall. If Bosh doesn't get in, then neither should LMA (and I'd be totally fine with that).. but if Bosh makes it LMA should as well.
                            i definitely agree that championships are overvalued when it comes to evaluating some players' legacies but at the same time, they are what you play for and they should count for a lot. aldridge being less willing to sacrifice his personal goals for the greater good is def a strike against, imo.

and i'm not sure i'd agree LMA was the better regular season player based on more all-nba appearances. i think bosh's 2005 to 2010 years were better than most of LMA's peak years. bosh was just up against prime dirk/KG/duncan/howard etc for voting when he was in toronto. LMA was up against howard/griffin and sub-prime dirk/duncan port-2010. if bosh stayed in toronto i could see some more 2nd/3rd team appearances for him with reduced competition.

Comment

Eh I mean T Mac made it and he never won shit same with Vince. That's just how the basketball HOF is.
                              sorry i just thought it was funny that you called him a champion.

anyhow tmac and vince "never won shit" but both were part of teams that at least made the playoffs. and tmac was like a generational scorer. it's him, kobe, and AI from that generation. his case was pretty indisputable to me.

Comment

i dunno, LMA is a borderline HOFer (to the extent that we're debating it here), roy absolutely would have been if he stayed healthy, and foye and gay had solid pro careers. i think the kwame brown draft had more whiffs

Comment

Working...
                                X