Everything NBA 2020-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
    Donnie Nelson out as GM in Dallas. Interesting in light of the recent article about Harlabob / Doncic and Cuban. Hold on tight to our Bobby (thought I guess it would be a lateral change if the president part is filled)
    Man tough breaks. Dallas improved by ~10 wins per season for three straight years, then plateaued a bit this last season and he's fired. What have you done for me lately?

I'm not a fan of turnstiles. Give the guy a chance to fix mistakes and try other things. Bringing in KP made some sense at the time, not management fault KP really sucked this year. Also, Dallas was clearly overloaded on offence and needed some defensive help and the moves last offseason made some sense and weren't really controversial at the time or anything. Underwhelming outcome to the year this season for sure but can't say there were any egregious management mistakes. You try some things, sometimes they don't work, you adjust and move on.

Maybe there was other behind the scenes stuff but a bunch of news I saw was purely 3rd party & speculative, not sure how much fire there is under the smoke. Maybe it's real.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The whole construct of having contracts tied to all-NBA voting is egregious. Random members of the media costing guys tens of millions of dollars.
      Really opens the door to greasy backdoor votes too, from shlubby media guys that could really use that say 10 to 20 thousand bucks the agent is offering
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

Man tough breaks. Dallas improved by ~10 wins per season for three straight years, then plateaued a bit this last season and he's fired. What have you done for me lately?

I'm not a fan of turnstiles. Give the guy a chance to fix mistakes and try other things. Bringing in KP made some sense at the time, not management fault KP really sucked this year. Also, Dallas was clearly overloaded on offence and needed some defensive help and the moves last offseason made some sense and weren't really controversial at the time or anything. Underwhelming outcome to the year this season for sure but can't say there were any egregious management mistakes. You try some things, sometimes they don't work, you adjust and move on.

Maybe there was other behind the scenes stuff but a bunch of news I saw was purely 3rd party & speculative, not sure how much fire there is under the smoke. Maybe it's real.
        In fairness, Donnie Nelson has been there for like 25 years. Sounds like there may have been some rifts in the front office and that's never good.

Problem in Dallas is that Cuban is in control (not anyone else) and so they are going to have to find someone willing to be de facto second in command. For example, a guy like Ujiri would never take that job. I would bet willing to be they end up promoting from within.

Comment

• First Danny and now Donnie.. really end of eras there. I wonder if they promote Carlisle like Boston promoted Stevens? Managing a team is a team effort these days anyways. And it seems like Cuban will always get the last word.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Really opens the door to greasy backdoor votes too, from shlubby media guys that could really use that say 10 to 20 thousand bucks the agent is offering
            $10,000 would be more than the Athletic makes in 10 years!

Leaving that aside, there are almost always 20 guys for the 3 teams. Looking at the third team this year, guys like Lavine, Booker, Tatum have a pretty compelling case that they are as good as Beal, George and Butler (I'm probably missing some players). And the Tatum thing, in particular, is spectacularly stupid.

Comment

Not to sound communist, but that seems like pretty fair wealth distribution for services rendered. I mean, does an All-NBA player really need another $100K in bonuses? That's basically just a night-out at the clubs for James Harden and his boyz. But $20K for a greasy media schlub could actually be putting food on the table.

Comment

• Pascal's made a little more than $3M per year because of his second all-nba nod. It's more than $100K. He went from 25% of the cap to 28% of the cap.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Not to sound communist, but that seems like pretty fair wealth distribution for services rendered. I mean, does an All-NBA player really need another $100K in bonuses? That's basically just a night-out at the clubs for James Harden and his boyz. But $20K for a greasy media schlub could actually be putting food on the table.
                  Counter counter point: that James harden night feeds the economy more, feeding 8 strippers and their 22 kids combined, as well as the Louis Vuitton purse sales lady
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Counter counter point: that James harden night feeds the economy more, feeding 8 strippers and their 22 kids combined, as well as the Louis Vuitton purse sales lady

Comment

trickle down economics baby
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Weird things going on in Dallas.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Yikes
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Carlisle era over? Wow, didn't see that coming.

I see him going to Boston actually.

Comment

• Carlisle's a very good coach. Clearly some parting of ways behind the scenes there, that was a long term owner/management/coaching trio there that used to work with stars long-term. Wonder what's dividing opinions.

NBA is chaos these days.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Carlisle era over? Wow, didn't see that coming.

I see him going to Boston actually.
                                I think lots of teams will want Carlisle. He's one of the better coaches around and the experience factor looms large. Presumably New Orleans will be an interesting destination. Boston, as you mention is an obvious one cause they need to fill big shoes. Maybe the Bucks if they go out before the Finals.

Wonder what Dallas does now?

Comment

Working...
                                X