Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raps vs Pellies Game 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wednesday Dec 23rd 7:30pm on TSN (Merry Xmas Jack)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Who are the competitions?

Simmons (Sixers)
    Lavert and Harris (BKN)
    Dragic/Hero and Robinson (Heat)

Siakam/ Powell/ TD (Raps)
    Simmons I’d think would be Houston’s number 1 target. I think many would perceive Brown to be a better target too. His recent form is much better, though I realize he has the benefit of playing with Tatum and the room he creates.

I would very much like to trade Siakam, Norm and picks for Harden and I’m concerned now that Siakam is playing his way out of a potential trade like that.

Comment

• Matt needs to start. Fred back up lowry and play sg with flynn. Or else we’re gonna start slow every game

Comment

• -like last year. Does anyone have any easy way to find out what the teams +/- was last year during the first 5 minutes of each game? Or would i have to manually tabulate game by game?

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

I mean Ingram was picked 2nd in his draft because he is supposed to develop into a star. Siakam being a star is a pleasant surprise. He was an All-star starter last season. He is a very good player.
          yep. Absolutely. He has developed in to a good player. But now he is making Tatum money and as evidence by the Boston series, Tatum is a much, much better player. That’s the value of paying the max to a superstar vs. an all star.

game 1 we got to compare him against Ingram. Both getting paid superstar money, only one looks like a superstar. Siakam has been disappointing. I hope he can turn it around but I don’t like what I see.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
            ...Right now this is just a middling to good team with no clear path to the finals in the foreseeable future. And no, Masai doesn't see the way yet either, plan A and B are gone, plan C is do what every other middling to good team does..
            I have to take exception to this, but maybe we just don't agree on definitions.

What do you mean by "middling"? To me the term suggests being in the middle. In a 30 team league I would take that to mean finishing the year 14 - 16 out of 30. "Good" suggests to me in the lower levels of the playoff race, so finishing 10 - 8 out of 30. It seems far more likely that the Raptors finish better than 8th in the league. I see them no lower than 6th and could reach 4th, depending on what Masai and Bobby do.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I have to take exception to this, but maybe we just don't agree on definitions.

What do you mean by "middling"? To me the term suggests being in the middle. In a 30 team league I would take that to mean finishing the year 14 - 16 out of 30. "Good" suggests to me in the lower levels of the playoff race, so finishing 10 - 8 out of 30. It seems far more likely that the Raptors finish better than 8th in the league. I see them no lower than 6th and could reach 4th, depending on what Masai and Bobby do.
              It's just definitions.
              The goal is a chip
              Playoffs minimum are the only thing that should be acceptable
              Middling playoff team, first or second round exit.

It's cool that you're relentlessly optimistic but too many guys happy with middling/good and will live off 2019 for a decade....that's just shouldn't be good enough any more.

Comment

It's just definitions.
                The goal is a chip

It's cool that you're relentlessly optimistic but too many guys happy with middling/good and will live off 2019 for a decade....that's just shouldn't be good enough any more.
                But management isn't happy with middling at all. If they were, they'd be shuffling deck chairs instead of swinging for the fences eg Giannis.

The BC teams were middling. There was a bunch of transition every offseason and it all went nowhere. No one had the long term vision or cajones to set the team up for big moves or real change. Masai traded DeMar, almost traded Lowry, traded for Kawhi, set up his cap sheet for Giannis - this guy is the definition of not satisfied with a middling team. I don't know why anyone would be worried about that.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                  -like last year. Does anyone have any easy way to find out what the teams +/- was last year during the first 5 minutes of each game? Or would i have to manually tabulate game by game?
                  That one is tough. Easiest to use a player as proxy - for example, the starters' first shift usually ended with Gasol being subbed off, so we can look at Gasol's net rating in 1st Q's, which was +8. Very solid. Not really slow starting.

However, we did usually end 1st Q's by having FVV play a stint with the bench while Lowry rested, which always went terribly. FVV is a great SG and should start. It's those bench units where they ask him to handle the ball a lot that are always disasters. They even survive those starter minutes where they let him initiate offence because Lowry and Siakam can save possessions (though obviously you hope towards the end of the game he shifts back off ball exclusively).
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post

But management isn't happy with middling at all. If they were, they'd be shuffling deck chairs instead of swinging for the fences eg Giannis.

The BC teams were middling. There was a bunch of transition every offseason and it all went nowhere. No one had the long term vision or cajones to set the team up for big moves or real change. Masai traded DeMar, almost traded Lowry, traded for Kawhi, set up his cap sheet for Giannis - this guy is the definition of not satisfied with a middling team. I don't know why anyone would be worried about that.
                    The point is he may not have a choice right now. There's no plan C that will make them finals contenders imo and he's not trading for Harden anyways

Comment

It's just definitions.
                      The goal is a chip

No one is happy with middling. People are just smart enough to know that if you are impatient and think you have to win the chip every single year, you will never win a chip because you'll rush into decisions that hurt you.

The Raptors are very good and have very good players and they will take a swing at any players that give them a better shot at a championship if and when those opportunities arise. That doesn't mean they will do so today to sate your need for instant gratification. Nor that this team has no future just because their current core projects as very good rather than great.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

No one is happy with middling. People are just smart enough to know that if you are impatient and think you have to win the chip every single year, you will never win a chip because you'll rush into decisions that hurt you.

The Raptors are very good and have very good players and they will take a swing at any players that give them a better shot at a championship if and when those opportunities arise. That doesn't mean they will do so today to sate your need for instant gratification. Nor that this team has no future just because their current core projects as very good rather than great.
                        Sorry this is just a straw man cop-out.
                        Where did anyone say they are happy to be middling? No one did.
                        Who said you had to win a chip every year? No one did.
                        Of course they will take a swing at players who give them a shot at a championship, who ever said they wouldn't? NO ONE.

The point is that it's fairly well established that you need a 1A star to make the NBA finals. And there doesn't appear to to be a 1A star in the Raptors near term future, especially since significant free agents have never come here

It's OK to acknowledge and discuss this. Please stop being ridiculous in your rush to defend everything that isn't rainbows and unicorns.

Comment

Working...
                        X