SI Top 100 for 2015- JV, Amir, DD & Lowry all make the list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iblastoff wrote: View Post
    sure the amount of successful free throws sounds great in a bubble, but didn't derozan also shoot a god awful .385 FG% in the playoffs?

according to nba stats, he was something like the 5th worst shooter in last years playoffs for players who were on the court longer than 25 minutes a game.
    If you take an overall look at TS%, he was decent at .550. But he had a lot of his free throws come at the end of games via intentional fouling, so it is tricky to evaluate based on that alone.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      If you take an overall look at TS%, he was decent at .550. But he had a lot of his free throws come at the end of games via intentional fouling, so it is tricky to evaluate based on that alone.
      DeRozan hit some clutch shots and had some momentum swinging shots/dunks. Those aren't taken into account enough is shooting percentages. I don't care if he goes 7/18 in a game if 3 of those shots were momentum shifting/clutch. DeRozan, for his first time in the playoffs, was a beast. He competed, made tough shots and got his team mates involved. A little help from tRoss hitting some open shots would have helped by not forcing DD into making something happen.
      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
      Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
        DeRozan hit some clutch shots and had some momentum swinging shots/dunks. Those aren't taken into account enough is shooting percentages. I don't care if he goes 7/18 in a game if 3 of those shots were momentum shifting/clutch. DeRozan, for his first time in the playoffs, was a beast. He competed, made tough shots and got his team mates involved. A little help from tRoss hitting some open shots would have helped by not forcing DD into making something happen.
        Well, you and I are not going to agree on that one.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If he (or any player) shot less (especially 'bad' shots) and/or was more efficient with his scoring, maybe there wouldn't be such a need to continually change the momentum in the team's favor.

Sharing the ball would also get more players involved and into the flow of the game, ideally resulting in more effective team-wide shot selection. Doing so would also force the other team to guard every player on the court, preventing them from constantly double-teaming the primary scorers.

I will never accept an excuse for any player taking an extremely high number of shots, while hitting and a sub-.500 level. Poor shooting and/or poor shot selection is the very reason why the opposition would gain the momentum in the first place.
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Sep 24, 2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            If he (or any player) shot less (especially 'bad' shots) and/or was more efficient with his scoring, maybe there wouldn't be such a need to continually change the momentum in the team's favor.

Sharing the ball would also get more players involved and into the flow of the game, ideally resulting in more effective team-wide shot selection. Doing so would also force the other team to guard every player on the court, preventing them from constantly double-teaming the primary scorers.

I will never accept an excuse for any player taking an extremely high number of shots, while hitting and a sub-.500 level. Poor shooting and/or poor shot selection is the very reason why the opposition would gain the momentum in the first place.
            Bold 1: we can talk ideals or we can talk realities. During that series, DD averaged 16.7 FGAs, while KL and GV, the guys relied upon even more to involve others, averaged a combined 24.7 FGAs, for a combined FG% of 2.5% better, while Ross was shooting 29.8% and Salmons was shooting 29.4%. Who was he to pass more to that would have done better? Kinda difficult to get it into the bigs when being double/triple teamed.

Bold 2: There's actually many reasons why the opposition could gain momentum, and it's very rarely due to one player's shot selection. For starters, gotta give some credit to the opposition's offense, as well as their defensive schemes and performance designed to force difficult shots by the best players, while not having to pay the least attention to other wings.

Comment

I think we have a different recollection on the history of that series.

I recall in the first four games watching DeRozan AND Lowry AND to a lesser extent GV trying to do it on their own. The reason why GV gets the lesser extent is because on that second unit last season, he was essentially the only scorer.

The first few games of the series were brutal "my turn, your turn" basketball. Look back through the game threads, there are numerous posts about the hockey assist, working within the context of the team, and being a ball stopper. There were even posts highlighting the runs the team was on with him off the bench and getting back in to the game.

As the series dragged on, DD started to do work within the team and pick his opportunities to score versus taking every opportunity (i.e. receiving the ball). He was really effective and stepped up at some really important times when the team needed a bucket. His defense even became cheer-worthy at crucial times.

The bottom line is very few players in the league have EVER been able to singlehandedly carry a team in the post season. It is not an insult to DeRozan (or Lowry) to say he (or they) isn't that guy.

Work within the team (i.e. no ISO's for long 2s with 15 secs remaining), pick your opportunities to step up, play solid D.... and DeRozan will have a fan right here.

Comment

Working...
              X