Nba issues notice of smoothing of salary cap starting in 2015/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nba issues notice of smoothing of salary cap starting in 2015/16

Nba is considering a three year smoothing period instead of having a huge leap in 2016/17 due to the $ 1 Billion plus increase in Media Revenues increasing BRI from the present 4.54 Billion to 5.6 Billion in 2016 plus the average 4.5% increases that are presently being sustained

Smoothing of Salary Cap projections
    2015/16- $ 71,375,000

2016/17- $ 80,500,000

2017/18- $ 89,200,000

The implications on the Raptors would be $ 21,500,000 of cap space for next year 2015/16. Interested Dan H and the community
    where you would commit your monies for the raptors - Lamarcus Aldridge? Kenneth Faried
    Last edited by Heatdreamer; Wed Sep 17, 2014, 09:09 PM.

Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
    Nba is considering a three year smoothing period instead of highing a huge leap in 2016/17

Smoothing of Salary Cap projections based on annual increases of 4.5% of the BRI plus the new TV deal

2015/16- $ 71,375,000

2016/17- $ 80,500,000

2017/18- $ 89,200,000

The implications on the Raptors would be $ 21,500,000 of cap space for next year 2015/16. Interested Dan H and the community
    where you would commit your monies for the raptors - Lamarcus Aldridge?
    hmmmm this is kind of odd, I've been thinking and wondering a bit about this impending increase to the cap lately. It seems great that we will have that much cap room now but this will also allow a bunch of teams that would not of had the space available to sign a max player, sign a max player, thus decreasing our chances due to more options for the players.

I know its a must that the players salary's correlates with the increases revenue of the League, but I do for-see a bumpy and confusing road ahead. I'm happy the league is distributing the wealth with the players, id really hate to see the owners take it all them selves. Can any of the valuable members of RR let us know how many more teams will be able to offer max contracts starting the 2015 year ?

Comment

Nba is considering a three year smoothing period instead of highing a huge leap in 2016/17

Smoothing of Salary Cap projections based on annual increases of 4.5% of the BRI plus the new TV deal

2015/16- $ 71,375,000

2016/17- $ 80,500,000

2017/18- $ 89,200,000

where you would commit your monies for the raptors - Lamarcus Aldridge?
      I`d rather go for millsap he`s more likely to come than LMA and is 10 or so mil cheaper and I`m reluctant to offer a 4-yr max to a player at or over 30

Edit : players not named Lebron or Durant or any other superstar
      Last edited by .I Can Smell You.; Wed Sep 17, 2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what's your source on this?
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Portland, Philadelphia, Knicks , lakers, Phoenix, Orlando , Tdot, Boston (rondo leaves) , Charlotte, Atlanta ( milsap leaves) , Dallas , Detroit and San Antonio

Believe the main players will be Portland, Dallas, Knicks and Lakers for Tier 1 free agents . I don't believe the other teams are willing to make the team salaries to seem to be out of whack or the team does not have the talent presently to make the big leap with a high ticket free agent.

Tdot next year should reup Jv early for a 5/75 million and TRoss if he continues to show improvement 4/32 commencing their final year of their entry contract. Also if you want to keep the team together- start talking with DD to extend him for 4 years at 4/65.

This combined with 3 first round picks in the next two years provides 5 of your players on entry contracts totaling $8 million. You will have your last three of your 15 players on low pay contracts totaling $ 2.5 million. So over half of the lineup will cost you 10 million in 2016-17.

Your top players (12) KL, (15) DD,T Ross (8) , (13) JV will total $ 48 million. You have room for three players and we require a top notch PF (15 ) - you still have PPat at $6.8 and the MLE (6.5) totaling 28.3. In 2016/17 your total expenditure is $86.3 which is more than the salary cap which is predicted to be 80.5 million and the luxury tax is close to 9 figures.

As well those 5 players that are on entry contracts may turn 1 or 2 quality players who could play in the top 9 rotation.

Do you want KD for $28 million than pay for an average PF of 10 million and forgo the MLE. I just believe we are being aspirational on KD and basketball is a team game.
          Last edited by Heatdreamer; Wed Sep 17, 2014, 08:55 PM.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
            Out of curiosity, what's your source on this?
            Blazers edge.com 9/14/2014 , this may seem hypothetical but it is based on the rumored Tv deal increasing BRI by 24% in 2016. And the announcement by league offices reported today in realGm.com -that there the teams should be aware of a possible increase over a three year period of the salary cap commencing one year prior to the new Tv contract comes into effect.
            Last edited by Heatdreamer; Wed Sep 17, 2014, 09:42 PM.

Comment

.I Can Smell You. wrote: View Post
              I`d rather go for millsap he`s more likely to come than LMA and is 10 or so mil cheaper and I`m reluctant to offer a 4-yr max to a player at or over 30

Edit : players not named Lebron or Durant or any other superstar
              If Milsap is making $8.5 million a 4 year deal may cost you 4/46 starting at $11 million. Read my other post.

Comment

Ah, yes, still just a possibility. Your title is a bit misleading.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I stated the word hypothetical, but today, there was indication from the NBA offices with respect to the salary cap to this specific point of smoothing and that is the second time that this philosophy had been expressed, the previous one was discussed a week prior when the new TV contract was being address in a very positive manner Sports Business Daily.

Also from the offices of Adam Silver, there has been indications of part of the TV contract will be allocated to the 2015/2016 season.

Where there is smoke there is Fire.

Misleading was the Benghazi affair, based on a video, i have higher credence than the USA government had than.....

Comment

Ya, where is this "notice" from the NBA?

Comment

Ya, like can a source be posted?

Comment

Joey and White Man cant jump.

There are three sources that have been indicated above,3. blazersedge.com 9/14/2014,2. RealGM.COM,1. Sports Business Daily hope that is helpful.

BlazersEdge gives the projected smoothing cap, in their discussion area, and I believe it would be prudent for all to review

http://www.blazersedge.com/.../nba-t...erms-contract- portland-trail-blazers‎

Read below from Realgm.com an article from Grantland.
                        http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...y-To-15-16-Cap
                        http://www.businessinsider.com/new-nba-tv-deal-2014-9
                        Last edited by Heatdreamer; Wed Sep 17, 2014, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Okay, so a Portland blogger did the same math I did, business insider has an old report on the rising cap and speculated that there might be some smoothing, maybe, and the RealGM article, the only one that actually references what the NBA is telling teams, says that the NBA is telling teams to hold their cap projections steady and not to expect a smoothing, but are still considering it as a possibility if they can get it to work.

Quite the opposite of what you originally posted.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Realgm is relating the Grantland article about smoothing , no my interpretation is that the nba offices are telling that for next 2015/16 that be aware that the teams should not plan their salary cap in stone as initially projected.

However, I am pleased the smoothing aspect numbers are consistent with your projections. Last year there were three changes to the salary cap throughout the year. Here the NBA are negotiating the contract , and my hypothetical ( used the word for third time) opens alternative discussion and planning instead of a linear 5% increase and what the ramifications for the roster.

Comment

Joey and White Man cant jump.

There are three sources that have been indicated above,3. blazersedge.com 9/14/2014,2. RealGM.COM,1. Sports Business Daily hope that is helpful.

BlazersEdge gives the projected smoothing cap, in their discussion area, and I believe it would be prudent for all to review

http://www.blazersedge.com/.../nba-t...erms-contract- portland-trail-blazers‎

Read below from Realgm.com an article from Grantland.
                              http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...y-To-15-16-Cap
                              http://www.businessinsider.com/new-nba-tv-deal-2014-9
                              Thanks! Just wanted a source for your information is all.
                              Links to the source are generally MUCH more helpful than just saying where you got it from.

Comment

Working...
                              X