Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #4 New York Knicks @ Toronto Bay Raptors. 7:00 PM Tampa Bay, Florida. 7:30 PM Sportsnet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

A 3-way Raps/Rockets/Nuggets trade would not surprise me.

To Raps: Harden, Tucker McLemore
    To Nuggets: Pascal, TD, McCaw
    To Rockets: MPJ, Powell, Harris, Barton, 2 1sts and 2 2nd round picks (from each of Raps & Nuggets)

It all works out perfectly, salary-wise.

Rockets covet MPJ, but Nuggets don’t want or need another one-dimensional ball dominant scorer in Harden.

Interesting that the Nuggets won’t play MPJ next 3 games for “COVID protocol” reasons. And we sat Pascal out for the equivalent of jaywalking across from your own house. Also notice that we’re not playing Flynn, so he’s probably in the trade talks too, but I don’t want to include him. Or maybe we’re trying to hide him, lol.

Pascal is a perfect fit for Denver after they lost Jerami Grant. Jokic/Murray/Pascal is a legit championship core for years.
    That would be a really good return for Houston. Think this idea would hinge on the nuggets. How much do they value MPJ over a guy whose been the 3rd and sometimes 2nd best player on a championship team.
    To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

That would be a really good return for Houston. Think this idea would hinge on the nuggets. How much do they value MPJ over a guy whose been the 3rd and sometimes 2nd best player on a championship team.
      MPJ seems overhyped, so if I’m the Nuggets I would sell high right now. The guy was already complaining about not getting touches in his first year playing. Sure, he’ll be a great scorer, but he feels like a Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Melo-lite type of player who will give everything back on the defensive end.

Pascal is a proven 2A/2B championship player who helps you win games on both sides of the ball. But he’s completely mis-cast here as a number 1 option and will never be that guy.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Yeah MPJ is a heck of a prospect, and he's only 22. Denver may be looking for more on this hypothetical deal, and it would come from Toronto, either in the form of a pick or Thomas or Flynn instead of McCaw unfortunately. I'd still go for it the whole thing depended on just that. Houston's return looks fair.

EDIT: the whole unknown here is who Pascal really is. If this funk is temporary, and he's close to his all-star starter level, all-nba, he's much better than MPJ. If bubble P is here to stay then we're screwed.
        Last edited by inthepaint; Fri Jan 1, 2021, 11:49 PM.
        2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

Comment

• Oddshark update as of Dec 30th for Harden's landing spot is Philly, Heat (who stated they're out of the pursuit), Nets & Raptors, in that order.
          2019 NBA Champions. Glad to have doubted the doubters.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
            Fred gets bogged down trying to iso guys as well, and he not a great pick and roll passer. Lowry is notable the better passer and tends to get guys going better.
            Idk maybe I just have a different take. When you accept that hes going to struggle finishing at the rim and needs to take an extra dribble to find a passing angle occassionally hes pretty dang good.

Hes an exceptional shooter, even off the dribble and takes what is available. That means hes not nearly as flashy as say Luka or Trey Young who can take what they want, but also means he doesnt turn the ball over a lot while also racking up impressive assist totals.

His issue in not finding bigs often has been that they are rarely open, like Baynes will roll the wrong way, take up a driving lane on his way to the rim to get rebounding position - its terrible. Boucher is a good roller, and gets that pocket pass a lot. Whats been bogging us down and leads to Fred late clock isos is the lack of creation from everyone else not named Lowry. Like its not James Harden level of dynamic guard play, but using a PnR to get to the elbow (where FVV is a capable pull up shooter) and kick out to a wing is perfectly acceptable in terms of gaining an advantage for your team - we just really lack the secondary creators. Ends up being a lotof 3s which have not been falling.

So is it FVVs fault? Yes hes just not the engine for a dynamic offense, but hes also not paid to be - hes the third highest paid guy for a reason. I just dont think you have to reinvent basketball or singlehandedly pick apart defenses to be considered a good point guard.

edit: and inthepaint, while I totally agree about the importance of a runner for a guard, I really think Nurse and co dont. They seem really picky on who and when to take mid rangers. Our shot profile it nearly the same as Moreyball and I dont think its a coincedence. We’d just rather jack up a ton to 3s.
            Last edited by DogeLover1234; Sat Jan 2, 2021, 03:36 AM.

Comment

A 3-way Raps/Rockets/Nuggets trade would not surprise me.

To Raps: Harden, Tucker McLemore
              To Nuggets: Pascal, TD, McCaw
              To Rockets: MPJ, Powell, Harris, Barton, 2 1sts and 2 2nd round picks (from each of Raps & Nuggets)

It all works out perfectly, salary-wise.

Rockets covet MPJ, but Nuggets don’t want or need another one-dimensional ball dominant scorer in Harden.

Interesting that the Nuggets won’t play MPJ next 3 games for “COVID protocol” reasons. And we sat Pascal out for the equivalent of jaywalking across from your own house. Also notice that we’re not playing Flynn, so he’s probably in the trade talks too, but I don’t want to include him. Or maybe we’re trying to hide him, lol.

Pascal is a perfect fit for Denver after they lost Jerami Grant. Jokic/Murray/Pascal is a legit championship core for years.
              That seems like a great trade for everyone. Maybe the nuggets are giving up a bit too much, with harris and barton as well as the picks, but like you said pascal would be such a great fit there. Offensively playing behind jokic and murray is ideal and he would upgrade their defence substantially. Keeping one of harris and barton would be ideal, unless another decent guard is included. TD helps, but a better piece than mccaw might make losing the picks more palatable. The rockets get a good return for harden and a young piece to build around. The raps get their scorer and a solid 3&D player in tucker. Losing pascal hurts though. He'd be ideal next to harden and lowry. No way we could participate without offering him though.

Comment

• That's a good trade. Only really works if Harden voids his trade kicker. That 15% would make us a tax team. So that's not something Masai would want. But if Harden wants to leave Houston so bad, that shouldn't be a problem in theory.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

Idk maybe I just have a different take. When you accept that hes going to struggle finishing at the rim and needs to take an extra dribble to find a passing angle occassionally hes pretty dang good.

Hes an exceptional shooter, even off the dribble and takes what is available. That means hes not nearly as flashy as say Luka or Trey Young who can take what they want, but also means he doesnt turn the ball over a lot while also racking up impressive assist totals.

His issue in not finding bigs often has been that they are rarely open, like Baynes will roll the wrong way, take up a driving lane on his way to the rim to get rebounding position - its terrible. Boucher is a good roller, and gets that pocket pass a lot. Whats been bogging us down and leads to Fred late clock isos is the lack of creation from everyone else not named Lowry. Like its not James Harden level of dynamic guard play, but using a PnR to get to the elbow (where FVV is a capable pull up shooter) and kick out to a wing is perfectly acceptable in terms of gaining an advantage for your team - we just really lack the secondary creators. Ends up being a lotof 3s which have not been falling.

So is it FVVs fault? Yes hes just not the engine for a dynamic offense, but hes also not paid to be - hes the third highest paid guy for a reason. I just dont think you have to reinvent basketball or singlehandedly pick apart defenses to be considered a good point guard.

edit: and inthepaint, while I totally agree about the importance of a runner for a guard, I really think Nurse and co dont. They seem really picky on who and when to take mid rangers. Our shot profile it nearly the same as Moreyball and I dont think its a coincedence. We’d just rather jack up a ton to 3s.
                  Fred’s other problem is that he’s too slow. You need to go back and watch the Celtics series and recall that Boston took away his passing angles and literally gave him an open lane to drive straight to the hoop, because they knew he couldn’t beat a help defender or even the his man chasing him from behind to the rim. And Fred took the bait again and again & got stuffed at the rim. That’s where he needs the floater or quick stop & pop mid-range jumpshot, like inthepaint said.... neither of which Fred has in his bag. When an opposing defense schemes specifically to let you score, then you know that’s a weakness they will exploit over and over. Teams also try that scheme with Lowry, but even at his age, he’s still quicker and craftier getting to the rim than FVV.

The other thing more teams are doing now is putting long wing defenders onto good 3pt shooting point guards. We saw that with the Celtics and the Hawks put Reddish and Hunter on Kyrie and neutralized him for 2 straight games.

And as great a 3-pt shooter as he is, Fred’s only counter to long defenders is basically trying to take step-back 30 foot jump shots. That’s not sustainable. You can’t have a slow, short, un-athletic starting shooting guard in the NBA these days and expect to win big unless you have talent elsewhere on the roster attracting the attention of the defense and making plays, which is pretty much how Fred made his name.

I would love Fred as a backup shooting guard, making 10-15m/year, but we’re wasting our time trying to force fit him into trying to be an NBA caliber PG and even the current starting SG role he has, unless there are some major talent upgrades to the roster. Those minutes should be used developing players with more upside, like Flynn and TD and seeing what Matt Thomas can become.

Comment

Fred’s other problem is that he’s too slow. You need to go back and watch the Celtics series and recall that Boston took away his passing angles and literally gave him an open lane to drive straight to the hoop, because they knew he couldn’t beat a help defender or even the his man chasing him from behind to the rim. And Fred took the bait again and again & got stuffed at the rim. That’s where he needs the floater or quick stop & pop mid-range jumpshot, like inthepaint said.... neither of which Fred has in his bag. When an opposing defense schemes specifically to let you score, then you know that’s a weakness they will exploit over and over. Teams also try that scheme with Lowry, but even at his age, he’s still quicker and craftier getting to the rim than FVV.

The other thing more teams are doing now is putting long wing defenders onto good 3pt shooting point guards. We saw that with the Celtics and the Hawks put Reddish and Hunter on Kyrie and neutralized him for 2 straight games.

And as great a 3-pt shooter as he is, Fred’s only counter to long defenders is basically trying to take step-back 30 foot jump shots. That’s not sustainable. You can’t have a slow, short, un-athletic starting shooting guard in the NBA these days and expect to win big unless you have talent elsewhere on the roster attracting the attention of the defense and making plays, which is pretty much how Fred made his name.

I would love Fred as a backup shooting guard, making 10-15m/year, but we’re wasting our time trying to force fit him into trying to be an NBA caliber PG and even the current starting SG role he has, unless there are some major talent upgrades to the roster. Those minutes should be used developing players with more upside, like Flynn and TD and seeing what Matt Thomas can become.
                    So a mistake re-signing Fred?

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

So a mistake re-signing Fred?
                      Trade him for Harden

Comment

• Well, a win. Knicks, sure, but a win. No nailbiter either even with the first few quarters being closer than they should have been. Yay.

​​​​​
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                        X