BasketballInsiders.com: 2014-15 Raptors preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    I don't buy the "we caught the other team by surprise" koolaid. I pass it every time I go to the grocery store

It literally makes no sense. How does a multi billion dollar organization be caught by surprise by another multi billion dollar organization. The players and coaches and scouts are professionals who do their job and look into every game. No team wakes up on game day saying oh shit, it's just the raptors. Let's cancel preactice and all team sessions and meet at the game. Every team is scouted. They prepare for every game. If a team catches you by surprise, it kinda means you just suck at your job. No way should that saying be out there. And the raptors were this good 18 games into the season, how do you surprise someone for 64 fucking games. Like c'mon. We didn't catch anyone by surprise, that's just an excuse they use because they lost. Smh

Good point. The Raptors also performed well versus West-coast teams (as compared to other East teams) and did not suffer any major losing streaks following the trade. The Raptors also defeated several playoff teams following the Rudy Gay trade.

I think that the Raptors were only swept by the Spurs, Heat, and Bobcats last season. It wasn't as if the Raptors were only beating the tanking teams; they were scrapping it out night after night with tankers and contenders alike.

By the end of January (at the latest) it should have been apparent to the league that the Raptors were legitimate.

But I still agree with white men can't jump in regards to the fact that the Raptors' performance following the Gay trade and their record that followed (42-22) definitely came across a surprise to the league and to fans alike. As a fan myself, I was surprised initially as well. However, I do feel that the Raptors have made enough of a statement to receive credibility for their achievements last season. That being said, I expect them to surprise the league even more this coming season.
    I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
    -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
      I don't buy the "we caught the other team by surprise" koolaid. I pass it every time I go to the grocery store

It literally makes no sense. How does a multi billion dollar organization be caught by surprise by another multi billion dollar organization. The players and coaches and scouts are professionals who do their job and look into every game. No team wakes up on game day saying oh shit, it's just the raptors. Let's cancel preactice and all team sessions and meet at the game. Every team is scouted. They prepare for every game. If a team catches you by surprise, it kinda means you just suck at your job. No way should that saying be out there. And the raptors were this good 18 games into the season, how do you surprise someone for 64 fucking games. Like c'mon. We didn't catch anyone by surprise, that's just an excuse they use because they lost. Smh
      They may not catch video room guys by surprise.

But that message gets filtered multiple times, and each player has to be fully committed 100% to always internalizing every piece of information regardless of what they've thought or known prior to that, for no team to ever be caught off guard.

And if you get caught off guard, that's one very, very small part of the job. It doesn't necessarily mean you're bad at your job if you still shoot threes better than the next guy.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Really, it should be "we caught the media by surprise"; they have a tendency to remain doggedly entrenched in their pre-season opinions of teams.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
          We haven't finished surprising people, in my opinion. We still have TRoss and Val as relative unknowns that could break out.

Last season was the surprise of Lowry and Derozan becoming all-star tandem. This year, we have more weapons to unveil.
          As long as KL shows up to camp in shape and DD continues to improve especially on the defensive end we will be in good shape. JVal looks most like to progress to the next stage consistently. TR needs to improve consistency--- try to avoid too many peaks and valleys.....though 51 is nice I would 15 EVERY night.

Comment

Working...
          X